Hero football player's family opens up about his sacrifice [CBS]

Tennessee teen killed shielding three girls from gunfire
cbsnews.com/news/tennessee-teen-killed-shielding-three-girls-from-gunfire/

I had not seen this posted and it is a noteworthy story with I’d say, a religious type of connection in the act itself.

Hero football player’s family opens up about his sacrifice

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Zenobia Dobson is preparing to bury her 15-year-old son, Zaevion. He was her baby.

Police say Zaevion was shot dead by gang members while trying to shield three young girls from the gunfire.

“It was an honor for my son to protect another individual,” Dobson told CBS News.

Zaevion’s brother Zack was there when it happened.

“I picked him up, and I sat him in my arms, and I was shaking him, and I was like, ‘I love you, wake up, I need you, wake up,’” he said.

Two of the teenage girls who Zaevion shielded from bullets have called the high school football standout a hero.

“If it wasn’t for Zaevion, me or her would have probably been shot,” one of them said.

“I have a military background, that’s the actions of heroes,” Knoxville police chief David Rausch told CBS News.

He said Zaevion was caught in the crossfire of rival gangs. Rausch said one of the gang members who shot at Zaevion was Brandon Perry, who was retaliating after a group of men shot at his home.

The chief said Perry ended up being shot and killed by a rival gang less than three hours after he shot at Zaevion.

cbsnews.com/news/high-school-football-player-zaevion-dobson-gives-his-life-saving-others/

if they were shooting at him, why would he be shielding other people? Wouldn’t that put them in greater danger?

They weren’t shooting AT HIM, rival gangs were shoot at EACH OTHER. He and the girls were caught in the crossfire and he gave his life as he was shielding the girls.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.