Heroin deaths surpass gun homicides for the first time, CDC data show

sfgate.com/national/article/Heroin-deaths-surpass-gun-homicides-for-the-first-10786199.php

Maybe we could get the dealers to run background checks…

If only we could pass a law to make heroin completely illegal. Oh, wait.:frowning:

The rapid rise in heroin deaths in the last few years is very troubling.

I watched a BBC documentary a few weeks ago on the heroin crisis in the US. Essentially, the drug dealers are moving from cannabis to heroin as legalization sweeps across the US. So much for the argument pot legalization will combat organized crime.

Maybe if we just legalize recreational heroin, everything will right itself. :wink:

This is terrorism by definition…When the US was having the same problem with cocaine back in the 1980s, they went to fight it at the source (where the coke was coming from), funny thing is, we do not see that happening with heroin, even though its killing more and causing much more destruction than cocaine did.

I have no doubt it would be easy to find the poppie fields, as you do not get much of the narcotic alkaloid for a single plant, so a lot of plants are needed. to keep a single addict supplied for personal use only, they would need close to 10 acres of poppies…now figure out how much acreage is needed to keep virtually every city in the US supplied!!

This is irritates me greatly.

Here we are focusing on telling people how tobacco consumption will surely be the ruin of every last soul; while not putting one iota of effort into educating our children and the greater community on alcohol, marijuana and illicit substances.

My suspicion is that organised crime probably contributes greatly to the number of deaths caused by guns.

Back here in Australia, my home state (Western Australia) has developed a nasty reputation for some of the highest methamphetamine usage in the country. Binge drinking is also on the rise. Its linked to the “Fly-in/Fly-out” mining work roster, huge underlying social (family) issues and men who earn far too much money and have booze provided (for free) by the company at the mining camps.

Its a recipe for disaster, and has caused huge problems. A lot of people I know who do or have worked in this industry don’t just enjoy the occasional drink… Every afternoon becomes the occasion for a “few beers” (2-4) to unwind.

The fact that Western society is dealing with huge drug usage issues is indicative of HUGE underlying problems. And no-one seems game enough to address it :shrug:

We also have the mainstream media to blame - if we allow advertisements for alcohol, why not tobacco? On the contrary, if tobacco advertisements are banned, why not alcohol?
Then there is the promotion of the “partying lifestyle” in popular culture.

Just recently they started allowing booze advertising on tv again, as far as tobacco, from what Ive seen, they do not seem to need advertising, big tobacco is doing quite well right now.

The fact is though, Mexico does not have a drug problem, its the US population that has the problem, but when it comes to heroin, its far more lucrative to ‘treat’ the problem rather than cure it, ‘treating’ it, involves cash and property seizures, LOTS of work for LOTS of law enforcement agents, drug related crime ensures plenty of jail cells will be occupied, Pharmaceutical companies make big bucks ‘treating’ addiction too.

It was available over the counter until 1914, and by prescription until 1924… The Great Depression started in 1929, coincidence? I think not.

Well it seems to work everywhere they have tried it, Portugal for one, there is another country that set up small clinics with private booths, users can come in, get free needles, and they get pharmaceutical grade heroin twice a day, since it was started crime has dropped drastically, no reason why the same would not happen here too…right?

The drug cartels wield too much power though, they will never allow it to be legalized, not to mention, doing so, there would no longer be as great a need for law enforcement and drug agents, drugs and drug related crime make up close to 80% of all total crime in our areas, Heroin is the #1 problem drug, if it was legalized, what would all these agents do with the time, they would surely not get the big budgets anymore either.

As sad as it may be, keeping heroin illegal is a win win for all involved (except the addict), drug cartels continue to rake in the cash, and US law enforcement, medical community benefit from ‘treating’ the problem.

A large number of heroin users were former pain medication users. Oxycontin, morphine, and other such pain medications are chemically similar to heroin. But we have of course tightened the prescription of opioid somewhat.

To some degree the current heroin issues seems to be a few years behind efforts to tighten up the potential overuse of opioid pain killers.

The Depression started because heroin was prohibited?

it is interesting looking at drug use historically. I’m not all that informed on the topic, but from the little I’ve read, there has always been addictive substance abuse by portions of the population.

The worst addiction to opium seems to have occurred in China in the 19th century. The drug led to the eventual collapse of the Chinese government. The drug caused wide spread poverty within the country. 2 wars against the west were fought against the selling of opium in China. If I remember correctly some estimate up to 20 million Chinese died in Taiping Rebellion. A big problem that occurred in the Taiping rebellion was that those serving in the emperors Chinese military were almost entirely addicted to opium. As a result soldiers were not motivated fighters against the sober rebels. I believe I remember that correctly.

I imagine an important tool in fighting wide spread drug and alcohol abuse is religion. Most religions are against the use of recreational drugs.

Yes, it most assuredly did.

Right and in 2012 when these tough new prescription drug laws went into effect, was the exact same time, heroin was all the sudden plentifully available…this was planned, ask yourself why any pharmaceutical company would give up their cash cow drugs to tough new regulation without a legal fight.

Even our local newspaper has began to report the new prescription drug laws were a major factor in creating so many heroin addicts, no matter how you slice it, it was much safer for addicts to use and abuse opiate painkillers, versus street heroin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.