Heterosexual couple lose court battle to be allowed civil partnership

Rebecca Steinfeld and Charles Keidan say will take their case to the Supreme Court

A heterosexual couple’s wish to have a civil partnership instead of a marriage has been rejected by the Court of Appeal.

Rebecca Steinfeld and Charles Keidan, from London, were challenging the ruling that set out they did not meet the legal requirement of being the same sex.

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2017/02/21/hetrosexual-couple-lose-court-battle-to-be-allowed-civil-partnership/

They should be allowed. Legal acknowledgement of relationships for people who don’t want to marry seems like a good idea.

What is the purpose behind this acknowledgement?

It has begun!

It began a long time ago.

What’s to be next.

There are a number of legal benefits to being married in the UK. I don’t know that many of them, but I believe avoiding inheritance tax if one partner dies is one of them. There are a few, but I’m not going to look it up.

Sounds bizarre. I’m not familiar with UK law, but in I would think a domestic partnership of seven years standing would already have plenty of legal recognition and protections.

Too many lawyers with time on their hands…

Good question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.