Hewlett-Packard to split into two public companies, lay off 5,000

reuters.com/article/2014/10/06/us-hp-restructuring-idUSKCN0HV0U720141006

:frowning: That’s a lot of layoffs!

While 5000 is a lot of people, it is only 1.5% of their current employees. They have been doing layoffs for the last couple years since Meg Whitman took overy 3 years ago. I think this would bring the total up to somewhere between 50-60k layoffs under her watch. They have been trying to transform the company but are struggling to figure out where they fit in. The split looks like they will attempt to solve the split personality issues by separating the consumer and commercial businesses.

DH was layed off from this company earlier in the year, he worked in the tech services side. All I can say is this company is so inept, I think it’s only a matter of time before they go under.
9 months later, they still can’t figure out whether DH is still covered under health insurance. One day we get a letter stating that he is, the very next we get one stating that he isn’t. This is just standard operating procedure for them.
They’d probably be better off sticking to selling computers because they don’t have a clue what they’re doing in tech support.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.