Emmitsburg, Maryland

St. Gregory’s University
Shawnee, Oklahoma

Epilogue

What About Notre Dame?

Appendices

Ex corde Ecclesiae

Some Useful Comparative Information

good resource, Fr Groeschel just did a whole program on the guide and its compiler. bear in mind that a school who did not participate in the survey and complete the questionnaire may not be included simply because they did not provide info to rank it according to the criteria set by the guide.

Ahhhh Id love to go to Notre Dame,(always a dream of mine after seeing the movie “Rudy”) but unless I get a scholarship, it seems unlikely, since its tough to get into. There are a few Jesuit run schools in my area that I would not mind going to though.

not one Jesuit school made the guide, because they did not respond to the survey, and because it is nearly impossible to find one that has retained its Catholic identity and classic Jesuit values. I say this as wife, mother and in-law of Jesuit school alums, who have withdrawn support from their schools because of how bad they are now, not just lukewarm but in some instances actively anti-Catholic

I believe it. Ive read articles, and heard stories about how outlandish some of the stuff is that comes out of the school administators, such as actively teaching things opposite of what the faith is. My dad warned me of this, saying that you can never be to sure anymore; if its Catholic by name, it doesnt always mean its Catholic in practice.

I attended Franciscan Univ 20 years ago. When I was there we had under 2000 students yet more Theology majors than Notre Dame and Catholic U combined.

John Paul the Great looks good…I’m very interested in doing media related work. Movies, writing etc.

They just don’t have academic scholarships…that’s a bummer…

That has changed, I’m guessing. Notre Dame’s theology department is now flourishing (I’m one of the many theology majors there), and I visited Catholic U during my school search. I figure they have a strong program, seeing as they are run by the Church and the pope just visited…

As to the OP,

I’m ambivalent about this Newman Guide. Maybe it’s because I’m a Notre Dame student…

I was interviewed for the guide, and have to say that their epilogue/appendix on Notre Dame really didn’t seem to reflect the actual situation on campus there at this time. Five or ten years ago, yes…but not exactly the picture today. We have our problems, certainly, but there are many, many good things happening on campus every single day. Great professors are being tenured, there are solid Catholic groups on campus, a great center for the study of faith and culture, among many others. The thing is that ND is the only among the top 20 universities in America that still even attempts to hold fast to its religious mission. When people think of a Catholic university in America, I’d venture to guess that ND is close to the front of their minds. If anything, people should care a whole heck of a lot about preserving its Catholicism, rather than abandoning it to the secular academic wolves. Notre Dame is not going to become any stronger of an institution, nor is it going to retain its Catholic identity, if all the good Catholics abandon it, or if they act as if all the good Catholics already have.

Another problem I have with this guide is that it’s really not helpful for students who are seriously considering an academic career. I know a few people at U Dallas, Thomas Aquinas College, and maybe one or two others on the list (maybe Christendom, probably not Steubenville) who would be able to gain acceptance to a top-notch graduate program after graduating from those schools. But I’m sorry, yet-unaccredited Wyoming Catholic College just isn’t going to get you there. And what else do we need to ensure the survival of authentically Catholic colleges than great Catholic academics? I’m just not convinced that Steubenville is training them, and that is not meant as a snub to the many great Steubenville alums I know.

Hey hey hey! What’s this hubbub about “academics”?..everyone knows those are excellent locations to get your MRS. degree. I personally recommend Benedictine college. Come on Rach! :rolleyes:

I don’t like the guide very much because everything they say about the schools is positive and sounds like it was taken from the school website. Knowing several people who attend different schools in the guide, I know there are negatives to some of the schools which were not addressed.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.