Hey why is it wrong for priests to marry?

The bibleclearly state in 2 timoth 4:3

document.write(drawVerse(1,98387)); 1http://scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif&nbsp1 NOW the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
http://scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/spacer.gif
document.write(drawVerse(2,98388));2http://scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif&nbsp2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
document.write(drawVerse(3,98389));3http://scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif&nbsp3 forbidding• to mary, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created• to be received with thanksgiving• of them which believe and know the truth.

whats your protest of excuse for forbidding them to marry and have a family whis was clearly expected of God?

Doesn’t St. Paul advocate that the greater good is not to be married, but to put all of that love and energy in loving God instead? He advocates marriage to those that could not live celebate lives so they would not fall into sin (fornication).

Hello Prince Jeremy and welcome to the Catholic Answers forums!

It’s hard to read your scripture verse since you copied from a site that uses JavaScript Code. You say it’s 2 Tim 4:3 but it looks to me that you are citing 1 Tim 4:3… I’ll retype it so it’s easier for all to read:

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. (1 Tim. 4:1-3)
If we read verse 4:3 in in context with the first two verses, we have to ask, who were these “hypocritical liars” who forbid people to marry? According to the Protestant International Bible Commentary,

Probably it reflects the Gnostic heresy which regarded matter as intrinsically evil, and which found specific expression in recommending avoidance of marriage and abstinence from certain foods.
The Gnostic heretics believed that the material world, including our physical bodies, was created by an evil god, and was therefore evil. They believed that our spirits were created by a good god. Thus, to them procreation, which is the primary purpose of marriage, was evil because it caused a good spirit to become trapped within an evil body.

This was what Paul was denouncing as a thing “taught by demons.” He was not discussing the relative merits of a celibate priesthood, but the goodness of marriage in general. The Catholic Church certainly agrees that marriage is a very good thing. In fact, the Church considers marriage to be one of the seven sacraments. Further, the Church does not forbid anyone to marry. Anyone who is called by God to the married state (which is almost everybody) is free to marry. However, the Church knows that God has called some to live an unmarried life, in order to serve Him wholeheartedly. It is from this group that the Church selects her priests. Foregoing marriage in order to better serve the Lord is something Paul definitely approved of. He wrote,
I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. . . . I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs – how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world – how he can please his wife – and his interests are divided. (1 Cor. 7:7, 33-34)
Likewise, Jesus also pointed out that there were some who “have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven.” And, significantly, He added, “The one who can accept this should accept it.” (Matt. 19:11-12). So according to the apostle Paul and the Lord Jesus Himself, those who wish to serve the Lord full-time “should” renounce marriage. The Catholic Church follows this advice. And she recognizes that this is advice, not a requirement. Priestly celebacy is considered a discipline of the Church, not a doctrine. The Church follows this discipline because Paul and Jesus said that it was the best way. However, because celibacy is not an intrinsically mandatory feature of the priesthood, that requirement could be modified, or even dropped, if the Church decided to do so.

Also, it’s worth noting that the Catholic Church is organized into about a dozen different “rites,” of which only one, the “Latin” or “Roman” rite, requires priestly celibacy. In the Eastern rite churches, married men may become priests. The Latin rite, though, is by far the largest rite in the Church, especially here in the West. It’s what you probably think of when you think of the Catholic Church. However, because celibacy is not an intrinsic feature of the priesthood, the requirement is sometimes waived, even in the Latin rite. For example, Protestant ministers who convert to the Catholic Church are often allowed to become Catholic priests in the Latin rite, even if they are married.

[quote=princejeremy_17]The bibleclearly state in 2 timoth 4:3

document.write(drawVerse(1,98387)); scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif1&nbsp1 NOW the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
document.write(drawVerse(2,98388));scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif2&nbsp2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
document.write(drawVerse(3,98389));scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif3&nbsp3 forbidding• to mary, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created• to be received with thanksgiving• of them which believe and know the truth.

whats your protest of excuse for forbidding them to marry and have a family whis was clearly expected of God?
[/quote]

One must remember that the Catholic Church does not “forbid Marriage”. The Church forbids those seeking Holy Orders to the priesthood from Marriage, specifically after Ordination. Remember that a Married man could be Ordained, but that an Ordained man cannot Marry.

[quote=princejeremy_17]The bibleclearly state in 2 timoth 4:3

document.write(drawVerse(1,98387)); scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif1&nbsp1 NOW the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
document.write(drawVerse(2,98388));scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif2&nbsp2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
document.write(drawVerse(3,98389));scriptures.lds.org/themes/graphics/selectoff.gif3&nbsp3 forbidding• to mary, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created• to be received with thanksgiving• of them which believe and know the truth.

[/quote]

The Catholic Church does not forbid anyone to marry or eat meat. The preists remain celibate of there own will. This is done so that they may dedicate themselves to God. If you have a wife and a family then you are divided between family and God.

Celibacy is not a doctrine, it is a discipline. It is something that is practiced in the western part of the Catholic Church.

st peter was married and he was Jesus’s own disciple.

It is by a person’s free will to choose the priesthood as his vocation. It is therefore not up to him make the rules. If he wants to get married then the Married life is his vocation not the priesthood.

[quote=bloodwater]st peter was married and he was Jesus’s own disciple.
[/quote]

Yes, that is correct… what are you trying to prove by stating a fact which we are all aware of?

[/quote]

So? It doesn’t matter.

Please correct me if I have this wrong but…

Priests are married…spiritually to the Church. Check their ring finger. I saw an interesting presentation on this subject the other night on EWTN from I believe Christopher West? from his book “Theology of the Body”.

In short, they are married to God through the Church (Ordination) as those are married spiritually to each other in Matrimony. It is truly a beautiful theological concept.

I think it all hangs on the Catholic definition of marriage. Perhaps you should look into the Theology of the Body. Marriage isn’t just a partner for life, it is a sacrament, a total gift of self. That is what a husband is to his bride, and that is what a priest is to his bride, the church. If priests were all married, they’d have two brides. This is theologically, and practically, impossible. Would you want priests who couldn’t make total gift of self to the Church because they were too preoccupied with their other family? It just wouldn’t work. Thank God the Church is smart enough to know that.

jp2fan

[/quote]

Luke 18:

28** Then Peter said: Behold, we have left all things, and have followed thee. 29 Who said to them: Amen, I say to you, there is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God’s sake, 30 Who shall not receive much more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting

Simple answer: It is wrong for priests to marry because they made a promise to God that they would not marry, and breaking a promise to God is wrong.

Scott

[/quote]

Also…he was married before he was commissioned…

In the Orthodox Church, where priests (except bishops or monks) don’t have to be unmarried, they still can’t marry after ordination (they have to do that before being ordained). We take it even further and our priests, as a rule, are supposed to enter the state of priesthood unmarried. It’s ecclesiastic discipline and not divine positive law, so exceptions apply. Should married non-Catholic Christian clergymen (haven’t heard of non-Christian clergymen wanting to be Catholic priests since immediately after conversion) convert to Catholicism, they are allowed to keep their wives. If ordination is required because of their orders not being valid, they are still ordained married.

A priest can marry after ordination, but this is always (so far as I know) followed by secularisation. Orders are lifelong (and some people wonder if not eternal), so secularisation doesn’t remove the condition of being ordained - the priest is only not supposed to use the powers of his ordination (except in danger of death or similarly grave circumstances). The indellible priestly character remains, so those dismissed priests are still priests with valid orders even if they marry in the Catholic church. Dispensation from the Pope is needed and, so far as I know, it’s not granted before a certain age or at least a certain number of years after dismissal from priesthood.

I’ve never heard of a Catholic being born Catholic in the Roman rite ever being ordained after married and allowed to have sex with his wife. Or any Catholic priest being allowed to marry after receiving orders and keep performing his priestly duties. Except maybe some rumours about it happening in the Africa, but rumours are just it, rumours (and there’s a special African rite, so not everyone there is Roman rite, obviously). Has anyone ever heard of such a case (after the introduction of celibacy as a general rule in the Roman Catholic Church, of course)?

My understanding, from a former Roman Catholic priest who addressed a conference in Australia in 1993, is that it was common for priests to be married until one Pope (I don’t remember which, but can get out the recording of the talk) decided it should be no longer.

One of the reasons I’ve heard for priests to remain celebate is that Christ was. Well, surpurise, surprise, there may be nothing in the Bible to say he was, but you can be fairly sure it would have been mentioned if a Jewish male of 30 in his position wasn’t married. What’s more, The Roman Catholic church claims to be founded on Peter, who was definitely married (otherwise how did Jesus cure Peter’s mother-in-law?). If it was OK for Jesus’ choice of representatives to be married why isn’t it for the church today?

Steven

[quote=comfort1st]My understanding, from a former Roman Catholic priest who addressed a conference in Australia in 1993, is that it was common for priests to be married until one Pope (I don’t remember which, but can get out the recording of the talk) decided it should be no longer.

One of the reasons I’ve heard for priests to remain celebate is that Christ was. Well, surpurise, surprise, there may be nothing in the Bible to say he was, but you can be fairly sure it would have been mentioned if a Jewish male of 30 in his position wasn’t married. What’s more, The Roman Catholic church claims to be founded on Peter, who was definitely married (otherwise how did Jesus cure Peter’s mother-in-law?). If it was OK for Jesus’ choice of representatives to be married why isn’t it for the church today?

Steven
[/quote]

Are you saying that you believe that Christ was married? Do you believe what the Da Vinci Code says? This goes against common sense and what scripture says. It definately would say that he had one if he had. Second it was very common for a Jewish male to not be married at 30 years old. I believe that Abraham and Moses were both unmarried untill there mid fourties.

There were several decrees addressed the issue of celibacy. It was a long going debate. It wasn’t real common for them to be married before. The one to make the final decision was Gregory VII I believe.

The main reason why celebacy is the way that the Catholic Church chooses, is because a man with a family is divided between what is earthly and what is heavenly, as Paul says. They would rather have a man that is focused on his preistly duties and being devoted to God than a man that would rather support a family.

It is amazing that all protestants don’t support the Catholic Church on this since Paul said that he would prefer that they were all like him(unmarried).

Thanks for the comment.

My Jewish friends and contacts (which includes at least two rabbis, one of whom taught at my college) have been consistent in comments that it would have been mentioned in the Christian scriptures if Jesus was not married because it would be so unusual for a Jewish man his age to be unmarried. On the other hand, they suggest that if he were married it would have been an unremarkable point. (Let’s remember that most of the New Testament was written by Jews).

The Anglican and Protestant lines of thinking is a) Paul was talking about HIS understanding (this is one of the points where Paul refrains from saying ‘I received from the Lord’) which included the second coming of Christ in his lifetime; b) Peter was married, and was ‘the rock on which the church was built’ so if Christ chose a married man for that rôle then there is no reason for priests to remain celebate now. That doesn’t preclude men from choosing to be celebate - I’ve known a few Anglican priest who died celebate. Personally I find Christ’s example more endearing than Paul’s because those who are unmarried have great difficulty understanding what life is like in a marriage between humans (as distinct from one between human and God).

I shall endeavour to recover the recording I made in 1993 and provide further answers to questions raised. By the way, does it really matter if Christ was married? We proclaim He was fully human and fully divine - surely being fully human includes the possibility of intimate relations with a woman. Would it change His message? I think not.
Steven

I am married, and had once prepared to become a priest. I would seriously consider re-presenting myself as a candidate in the Roman rite if celibacy was no longer a requirement provided that I did not have to move my family into a rectory, and could continue to live in my own home.

[quote=jimmy]The Catholic Church does not forbid anyone to marry or eat meat. The preists remain celibate of there own will. This is done so that they may dedicate themselves to God. If you have a wife and a family then you are divided between family and God.

Celibacy is not a doctrine, it is a discipline. It is something that is practiced in the western part of the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Hi Jimmy,Oh really,Are you eating meat on Good Friday? No one that comes into the priesthood single is allowed to be married. :eek: God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.