HHS & birth control ? for Catholics in USA

I watched an episode of 60 Minutes (aired March 17, 2013) about the Vatican reprimanding American nuns because they support the HHS mandate - which undermines the Church because they oppose birth control.

I’ve seen numerous posts here expressing opposition to HHS because of birth control, but (depending on the survey) 68% - 98% of married Catholic women report they use an effective form of birth control, other than NFP.

Since most Americans get their health insurance through their employer, is this issue important enough to you to quit or turn down a job because their health insurance covers birth control? Doesn’t it make more sense to simply chose not to use birth control - if that is your choice, rather than opting out of health insurance all together?

It’s like saying “I’m opposed to the Playboy channel, so I refuse to watch TV”, and fighting against any health insurance coverage that would cover everybody, you’re saying you don’t want anybody to watch TV.

Not relevant to the morality of contraception.

The Church does not require that we do so. This is not germaine to what the Church actually objects to.

Again, I think you have some of your facts mixed up. Catholics are not required to opt out of their health insurance.

No, not at all.

Please research the actual issue.

Are you saying the Church does not oppose HHS?

Please understand, I am not trying to refute Catholicism or in any way challenge anyone’s beliefs. I am sincerely in search of an open dialogue about this issue.

It is my understanding that the Church views anything other than NFP to be a sin. If I am incorrect, please tell me.

The issue isn’t people choosing insurance that has a birth control option, but rather forcing companies run by Christians, and forcing Catholic insurance companies, to provide contraception (and even abortion) to their employees/clients. The issue isn’t on the individual, but with the company heads and insurance agencies having to spend money for these things. It’s like hiring a hit-man. The man who did the killing would be arrested, but so would the person that paid for the assassin to do so. So, forcing Christians (or anyone opposed) to pay for contraception (and abortions if contraception fails) is just as bad as those who use it.

Thank you - that’s helpful information.

I am saying the Church does not oppose what you think it does.

The Church does oppose the mandate that the Church itself pay for and provide to others policies that contain contraception and abortion, which it simply cannot do. That would be direct cooperation in evil.

Yes, but you are not properly understanding what the actual issue is.

Contraception is immoral as is abortion.

Thank you for the information. It didn’t make sense to me - which is why I asked.

Regarding the 98% statistic… it’s completely wrong. I’ve seen the survey broken down to show where the “98” figure comes from, and it’s due to:

• certain groups of women, such as nuns, were excluded from the survey (so it’s not 98% of Catholic women… it’s 98% of Catholic women who were not excluded)
  • the survey made no distinction between practicing Catholics and non-practicing Catholics (so a woman who labels herself “Catholic” but does not follow Catholic teaching will count toward the 98%)
  • the survey made no distinction between current contraceptive use and past contraceptive use (so a woman who once used contraception many years back still counts toward the 98%)
  • and if I’m remembering correctly, NFP was considered “contraception” by the survey’s defintion (so, the 98% is not just the artificial contraception that the Church opposes, but it also includes NFP that the Church does not oppose)

And on top of that, even if the “98” figure was correct, it really doesn’t matter. The Church’s stance does not change based upon the whims of its members. Even if every single Catholic woman was okay with contraception, then that still doesn’t mean that the Church is okay with it or should be forced to pay for it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.