'Hi, deliver me from evil': Church sets up an exorcist hotline to deal with demand

’Hi, deliver me from evil’: Church sets up an exorcist hotline to deal with demand

The Catholic Church has established an exorcist hotline in Milan, its biggest diocese, to cope with demand. Monsignor Angelo Mascheroni, the diocese’s chief exorcist since 1995, said the curia had also appointed twice as many exorcists to cope with a doubling in the number of requests for help over 15 years.

“We get many requests for names, addresses and phone numbers; that’s why we’ve set up a switchboard in the curia from Monday to Friday from 2.30pm to 5pm,” he told the chiesadimilano website.

“People in need can call and will be able to find a priest in the same area who doesn’t have to travel too far.” And to that end, the number of demon-busting priests on call has increased from six to 12.

more…

So I am curious as to theories on why we see or perhaps hear of exorcisims being performed more on the other side of the globe, than in the USA ?

I suppose one can say well the Vatican is located in Italy so evil is attacking the faithful right at the source…

or could it be in the USA things are just not reported as much ?

or are they being reported as frequently in the USA but it isn’t mentioned as there are more secular issues being addressed…

Considering that attrocious acts such as masturbation, pre-marital sex and sodomy are now considered societal norms in, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if there are real life cases of demonic possessions in this part of the globe that are being passed off as simply “progressive” or “trendy” personalities. :frowning:

Holy Mother please pray for us…

Tip of the iceberg.

I would perhaps put it to the idea in this country that the devil doesn’t really exist. In my own parish I never hear about anything remotely related to sin or the devil or demonic influence in homilies. Even when the readings contain these themes, it is ignored in the homily, as usual. I don’t pretend Europe is some Catholic safe haven–ROFL, it isn’t!–but perhaps Italy’s being an historically Catholic country has something to do with it.

I would also like to point out that there are exorcists in this country. Often, when they talk or write about it, you hear how stressed and overworked they are in regards to this ministry. To that end, as I understand it, the Diocese of Tulsa this year hosted a training program for priests and bishops, and is hosting another one early next year through their Te Deum Institute.

I truly believe that the incidence of manifested demonic activity will not but skyrocket into the future, and I hope the Church has the priestly manpower to respond.

I remember reading something about this in “The Rite”. Italy has a long history of consulting fortune tellers and using “folk charms” (i.e., occult objects) to “bring luck” or to curse enemies. Any of these activities can lead to demonic influence or demonic obsession, or even possession.

I read ‘The Rite’ too, an excellent book and now movie. Based on true events. I would highly recommend them both.:wink:

I find it interesting that there is a ‘hotline’ to book an exorcism. I sort of sit on the fence a bit with it all. I believe that exocists are needed, but maybe not as often as people think. Often, it is their own mental instabilities or other reasons not an actual possession. Again, it explains a lot more in the book as it follows the life of an exorcist.

And here I, on the otherhand, am of the belief that theyre probably needed much more than you would think! :smiley:

An exorcist knows full well the difference between mental instability and demonic influence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.