Hidden message in 2 (4) Esdras?

I was reading this book in my NRSV W Deuterocanonical Books and one verse stuck out to me and almost made me wonder if this were to have any merit is it actually justifying books not considered scripture? Now I know this book is not in the Catholic Canon but it was in an appendix to the Latin Vulgate with 1 (3) Esdras and the Prayer of Mannaseh. This verse is just kind of interesting.

Ninety-four scrolls were written in the forty days. Then when the forty days were completed, the Most High said to me, “Make public the ones you wrote first so that the worthy and unworthy may read them. But keep the last seventy so that you may transmit them to the wise among your people. In these are the fountains of understanding, the source of wisdom, and the river of knowledge.” And so I did.
2 Esdras 14:44‭-‬48

:roll_eyes:

If there are any “hidden messages” I’m pretty darn sure that the Catholic church would know by now.

CCC ©1993 - 2489: Charity and respect for the truth should dictate the response to every request for information or communication. The good and safety of others, respect for privacy, and the common good are sufficient reasons for being silent about what ought not be known or for making use of a discreet language. The duty to avoid scandal often commands strict discretion. No one is bound to reveal the truth to someone who does not have the right to know it.
. . . . . . .

Every message in scripture is “hidden”; some the Church speaks on, and some the Church does not have definitive teaching on. This is the very reason for the academic discussion advanced by the field of Theology.

We can, as individuals, ponder and reflect on scripture, and see how it applies to our life. St. Augustine once said (paraphrased) that as long as it is done with charity, misinterpretation of scripture is not a sin.

So, even if our personal interpretation is not in lockstep with those pieces of scripture that the Church has spoken on, and such interpretation is not forwarded to defy Church teaching, all is well.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.