Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, ROCOR, OCA, MP, Dormition 2012

The Sobor has put up lots of wonderful photos from this Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, ROCOR, OCA, MP, the feast of at the Holy Virgin Cathedral “Joy of All Who Sorrow”. First Hierarch of ROCOR, Met Hilarion of Volokolamsk (MP) Met Jonah (OCA) , Met Hilarion (Kapral) (ROCOR), Bishop Benjamin (OCA), Archbishop Kyrill of San Francisco and Western America. The occasion for the presence of these heirarchs was the Fort Ross 200th Anniversary Celebration historic Liturgy and celebration 8/25/12.

Pictures of the Vigil of the Feast and of the Feastday

Photos much better than the one photo I took, with my phone, for which I got yelled at in Russian. Many other people persisted in taking photos throughout the Liturgy, even with flash :frowning:

Thanks for sharing these photographs! :D:D

5Loaves - was Metropolitan Jonah present in “official” capacity? I thought he is no longer the head of OCA.

I was surprised to see him there, too. I wondered the same thing, but there is a mention of him being there on the OCA website near the bottom of a particular article (oca.org/news/headline-news/200th-anniversary-of-the-founding-of-fort-ross-celebrated).

According to the the Holy Synod Met Jonah is “‘His Eminence, Metropolitan Jonah, former Archbishop of Washington and Metropolitan of All-America and Canada.”

Since 99.9% of what was said or sung at the Dormition Liturgy was in Russian or Church Slavonic, neither of which do I know more than a very few words, I can only comment on what I saw. You can see in the photos that are now posted in various slideshows that at various times Met Jonah, Met Hilarion (Kapral)(ROCOR) were on the left and the right of Met Hilarion of Volokolamsk (MP) elevated on the kafedra, later Met Jonah, Met Hilarion (Kapral) (ROCOR) were alone together on the kafedra, with the other bishops and archemendrites on the main level of the cathedral floor lined up as they do in a hierarchical Liturgy. Because I was standing to the left and behind the kafedra I was unsure who exactly was up there.

At the close of the Liturgy Met Hilarion of Volokolamsk (MP) addressed the assembly for some time. On either side of him there at the iconostasis were Mets Jonah and Hilarion (Kapral). That was when it was clear to us who it was. And he was addressed as Met Jonah OCA. I don’t recall anything more about exactly how it was translated as I was at that moment kind of in shock. :slight_smile:

There was a DL on Sunday at St. Nicholas Cathedral (Russian) SF which a number of the group from Ft Ross Liturgy were to concelebrate. Met Jonah was not at Ft Ross but I read on line somewhere that he was a concelebrant at the St Nicholas DL the next day.

I don’t know that that answers your question. To me it was a real surprise seeing Met Jonah there. I don’t know what to make of it. Damage control? The Holy Synod surely have heard to amount of upset amongst the faithful with the entire Met Jonah “resignation” situation. May good come from this.

Amen! :gopray:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.