High Cholesterol off the Map!

Who said anything about self medicating? Everything I take is on the advice of my internist.

0 Likes

Not accusing you of that or anyone else here. just my family member here in this case.

Who since I last posted has tossed down Half a pint of Hagen daz mint chip.

Oh My.

0 Likes

I can tell you what another family member did in self defense, insisted on providing healthful food and actvity for herself, and left the one bent on self-destruction to his own devices. The nutritional advice I got did make me aware of one important thing, which is uncovered by writing down every single thing that I put in my mouth–you have to look at the foods you crave, that you eat every day, that you feel you cannot live without. These are almost without exception the foods causing the most trouble. Someone who is binging in the way you describe, even allowing for some hyperbole, is almost certainly battling with a blood sugar issue as well. Until that is brought under control, the cravings are literally addictive and almost impossible to resist. That is not even touching on emotional issues that underlie what, when and how we eat.

it is not an easy road for the person battling multiple food-related disorders, and not easy for the people who live with them and have to watch them hurting themselves. but you are quite right, eating anything in reach then downing a few vitamins is hardly addressing the problem and unlikely to avail anything.

0 Likes

I kid you not, i vividly remember being over my grandpa’s house in the 70s, he was big into eating right, and i still remember him pouring a shot of whisky to chase down his vitamins. the good ole’ days!

0 Likes

If you dont mind me asking, did he smoke too?

0 Likes

Besides taking 20 mg of a cholesterol lowering medication, I found that when I started eating oatmeal every single morning, and having a portion of nuts or seeds daily (sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts) made a remarkable difference in bringing all the numbers where they should be.

0 Likes

big ole’ cigars. and cigarettes.

good stock to live as long as he did, i guess.
his mortality never heard or listened to that pesky bell curve that should have had him expire in his 60s.

as he would say… " eat lots of butter, keeps your innards lubricated and working good."

God bless the man.

0 Likes

Sounds like my morning. Oatmeal with a mix of sunflower,flax,sesame and pumpkin seeds (ground all together, as it releases the omega 3’s in the flax) with some cinnamon sprinkled on top and about a half cup of soy milk.
I also take Lipitor and niacin. One of the cardiologists on staff at my hospital follows the same regime. All of that and a vegan diet has helped my cholesterol, along with walking about 9 to 10 miles a day.
Kathy

0 Likes

Well, you certainly put me to shame by your walking 9 to 10 miles a day! Excellent!

0 Likes

Remember you can only do what you can do. Pretty much only two real ways to get that change going. Either all at once, which seems to be out of question for the time being, possibly if something bad enough happens to change someones mind or it might not be. Another way is just to take it slow and try to slowly make more and more changes. Only that someone can make the real change, you can only discourage and encouraged.

0 Likes

Obviously this person lives in the same house as you (or at least is at the home very frequently). You will only drive yourself crazy taking note of everything he eats, and if you are mentioning it to him frequently, the effect will most likely be that he will completely ignore you, or worse, go into hiding and overeat in secret. You cannot force this person to eat oatmeal, or skip the ice cream, but you can help out in other ways.

With that said, one thing I would recommend is to put Benefiber in EVERYTHING you cook. That stuff is amazing. It is tasteless, odorless, and has no texture whatsoever when properly dissolved. And it works. I specifically use Benefiber for just those reasons. I put it in my oatmeal, my grape juice, my spaghetti sauce, even in plain water-- anything you eat or drink, you can add it to. I do not have high cholesterol, but my triglycerides are a wee bit high, and the benefiber helps keep everything in check.
I also use Udo’s oil when I remember to order it. (nutrional info here). It is an omega oil supplement made from plants, not fish oil. It lasts longer than fish oil, and does not have that rancid fish taste. It can be used in salad dressings and other things you would use cold oil in. (Never heat it, though). And, as others have said, you can buy the cholesterol lowering spreads, too. They really do work, but you have to use it everyday.

I know you are worried about this person, but you really can do only so much. You cannot force him to be healthy, to eat right, or to exercise. You can only offer healthy alternatives to what he is currently doing. It is up to him to decide to become healthy. Do those things you can do (adding fiber to whatever you cook, stocking the pantry with healthy snacks, preparing healthy, well-balanced meals, etc) and pray that your family member chooses to live a healthy lifestyle.

0 Likes

For an adult, Benefibre should not exceed 5 tablespoonfuls a day. Most people take it to keep regular, and 2 tablespoonfuls a day is usually quite enough.

0 Likes

I’ve got to disagree with this, but I work at a hospital so I am biased :wink: Many of the patients I have had are indeed on regular multivitamins while at the hospital. Pharmaceutical companies are a whole different entity than doctors. Big drug companies can be argued that they would like to see you on a host of different medications since that’s where they get their money from. The doctors I’ve known and work with, don’t work this way. They often work with pharmacists to find the ideal mix of meds. The nurses will be calling up the docs if the medications seem unreasonable as well. More medications means more side effects to manage and increased risk of noncompliance due to amount of drugs to take, cost, and side effects. At the hospital we do indeed promote holistic care, including stress reduction techniques (deep breathing, guided imagery, distraction, massage, etc) diet (Cardiac diet, which, Damascus, your family member should be on, includes low salt, low fat, and no caffeine(decaf ok) ), spiritual guidance, and more. Doctors can be a great guide to helping people live healthy. There is a shortage of health care staff as is its; the health care system is overwhelmed with patients. We truly do want what we feel is best for the patient, as we connect with them during their hospital stay and meet their families and discuss very personal things with them. The ‘good’ staff see the patients as their own family members, and will go to great lengths to help them.

With increased levels of cholesterol you worry about Coronary Artery Disease. With Coronary Artery Disease and hypertension you worry about congestive heart failure. The prior posts give a lot of great information. Also tell your family member to check their blood pressure routinely. They will want the top number (systolic blood pressure) under 140 and the bottom number(diastolic blood pressure) under 90.

The best things that they can do are diet, exercise, get to a healthy weight, and don’t smoke.

0 Likes

I am worried now. Its got to be genetics I think, after reading christmyster’s post, I am convinced this is going to be a horror.

This person:
1 Smokes over a pack a day now.
2 is under high stress job/personal stuff
3 father died of heart attack 50
4 over 20lbs overweight
5 diet is pure fatty stuff
6 never excercises
7 gets super off the handle angry where viens pop at times in forhead
8 gets less than 5 hours of sleep a night
9 Mother died at 70.

0 Likes

That’s a lot of risk factors that your family member has! :frowning:
I’d recommend your family member get to a doctor for a couple of tests, such as an ECG, where they place sticky pads on the chest and connect that to a box which will read heart activity and tell if there is a problem with the way that the heart is pumping.

If your family member won’t go to the doctor, here’s a couple signs of potential heart trouble.

-prominent neck veins (jugular)
-wakes up at night to go to the bathroom or to due to needing to breathe
-chest pain upon exertion relieved by rest (stable angina, myocardial ischemia)
-sleeping on several pillows at night or sleeping in a chair
-swollen body, especially legs/feet (shoes don’t fit as well as they used to, have to go to next hole in belt, rings tighter)
-heart rate/pulse over 100/minute while resting
-weak

If your family member won’t change their diet or exercise either(doesn’t have to be strenuous, walking alone gives amazing benefits), would they be opposed to doing deep breathing exercises? Where they breathe in deeply through their nose, as much as they can, hold it for 3 seconds, and then blow out through pursed lips. We recommend this to patients in the hospital, to do every hour to decrease anxiety, to increase the amount of oxygen saturation in their blood, and to prevent lung complications such as atelectasis(the risk of this is increased when people are laying down/inactive/not walking). Its not much but its something.

I wish you and your family member the best. I hope you are able to get through to them.

0 Likes

Thanks guys. I guess prayer is all thats left now.

Nothing will change this person. I give up.

0 Likes

Keep the Fry Daddy! There are expensive and handy for get-togethers. :slight_smile: I’d just find other alternatives to using it when preparing meals. :wink:
I’ve read over most of this thread and I’d say you’re doing all you can. This person is an adult and has to want to care about their health. If they don’t care, then it’s out of your hands.
I wish you the best of luck!!!

0 Likes

closed #38
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.