High Court’s Big Ruling For Gun Rights

High Court’s Big Ruling For Gun Rights
liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/28/high-courts-big-ruling-for-gun-rights/%between%

In its second major ruling on gun rights in three years, the Supreme Court Monday extended the federally protected right to keep and bear arms to all 50 states. The decision will be hailed by gun rights advocates and comes over the opposition of gun control groups, the city of Chicago and four justices.

Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the five justice majority saying "the right to keep and bear arms must be regarded as a substantive guarantee, not a prohibition that could be ignored so long as the States legislated in an evenhanded manner."

The ruling builds upon the Court's 2008 decision in D.C. v. Heller that invalidated the handgun ban in the nation's capital. More importantly, that decision held that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms was a right the Founders specifically delegated to individuals. The justices affirmed that decision and extended its reach to the 50 states. Today's ruling also invalidates Chicago's handgun ban...

Yeah baby!-Stan.

Thank goodness. I was concerned about this one, I'm not going to lie. I was cautiously optimistic after DC vrs Heller, but I was still worried.

Bad link in the OP. Here's one:

liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/28/high-courts-big-ruling-for-gun-rights/

5-4 that's downright scary!!!

I live in the Glorious People's Republik of Illnois. Its gun laws are horrible!

Stevens, Breyer, Ginsburg, and Sotomayor dissenting.

Here's the ruling:

supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

Thank you looks like I pasted the wrong link. :doh2:

Here’s the link to Fox News
liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/28/high-courts-big-ruling-for-gun-rights/

Does this seem a little strange to anyone that our Supreme Court had to vote to uphold the Constitution and Bill of Rights? This is one of the very reasons why our forefathers spilled their blood and sacrificed eveything they had. And here we are in the 21st Century, spoiled little pampered brats, ruling on whether they were right or not. :hypno:

I don't think Obama and friends are gonna like this. Mao banned gun ownership in China and then murdered 100 million people.

Let’s just see what the political machine in Chicago is going to do? They’ll probably ban bullets next.

Sure you can have your gun but no ammo! :eek:

I do not celebrate this decision

[quote="jjdrury81, post:10, topic:203550"]

[/quote]

I live in Illinois, and have several friends who live in Chicago.

Don't worry, we're celebrating for you! :dancing:

[quote="jjdrury81, post:10, topic:203550"]

[/quote]

I don't celebrate this either.

26 shot this past weekend.
54 shot last weekend.
Yeah, great ruling, more guns as this city descends into madness. More guns as the idea of calling in the national guard to help quell the violence was actually bandied about a few weeks back. More guns as Chicago morphs into another Detroit.
So while all the "gun rights" people are celebrating some of us actually have to live here.

[quote="ConcernedApathy, post:12, topic:203550"]

54 shot last weekend.
Yeah, great ruling, more guns as this city descends into madness. More guns as the idea of calling in the national guard to help quell the violence was actually bandied about a few weeks back. More guns as Chicago morphs into another Detroit.
So while all the "gun rights" people are celebrating some of us actually have to live here.

[/quote]

I live in Illinois. If you haven't noticed, the states with conceal carry laws have much lower crime rates. The doom and gloom "wild west" atmosphere that gun opponents crowed about 10 years ago, have not come to pass.

Do you maybe think that lawful citizens owning guns would make calling the National Guard unecessary?

[quote="scipio337, post:13, topic:203550"]
I live in Illinois. If you haven't noticed, the states with conceal carry laws have much lower crime rates. The doom and gloom "wild west" atmosphere that gun opponents crowed about 10 years ago, have not come to pass.

Do you maybe think that lawful citizens owning guns would make calling the National Guard unecessary?

[/quote]

Caveat-I have my conclead carry permit, and, like the majority of my fellow gun owners, I hope I NEVER have to draw my gun at another person. Also, since I live in a semi rural area and love to camp and hike up in VERY rural areas, I DO have a shotgun as well.

Because I know that there are bad people in the world, I love that my sister carries a pistol as well. Because she is 5'1, and barely 120 pounds, she would be no match for a drugged up bad guy. With her carrying a pistol, she at least has a CHANCE to defend herself and her children.

[quote="scipio337, post:11, topic:203550"]
I live in Illinois, and have several friends who live in Chicago.

Don't worry, we're celebrating for you!

[/quote]

Yeh, they don't need to use their knives now. :)

[quote="ConcernedApathy, post:12, topic:203550"]

54 shot last weekend.

[/quote]

The truth is that the gun ban in the city has done nothing to squash the violence in Chicago. The majority of guns used in violence here in Chicago have been illegally obtained. Overwhelmingly the majority of the gun violence is with in high-poverty areas. Proven every time by virtually every study. Poverty causes violence.

What Daily has missed out on is bringing good paying middle class jobs (although those are disappearing). A man/woman with a good job is a good citizen. But instead we have obessive regulations that do nothing to solve the problem. But that is typical of this state of Illnois. They do virtually nothing to bring in good paying manufacturing jobs which those incomes what truly stimulate the economy. Not some CEO and his/her executives. Not some temporary park construction job. NOT some low paying retail job such as Wal Mart (Costco excluded).

I will say this. Is this ruling does give me concern about States Rights.

[quote="scipio337, post:13, topic:203550"]

[/quote]

Hard to say. Maybe those four students they shot at Kent State 40 years ago might have had a chance to fight back.

Incredibly good news. Very happy.

It is so important that we get a pro-life president in 2012--maybe a couple of more SCOTUS vacancies

[quote="Brooklyn, post:7, topic:203550"]
Does this seem a little strange to anyone that our Supreme Court had to vote to uphold the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

[/quote]

Yeh and the airport security still doesn't get it. You would think by now someone would remove those gun detectors and let them all board with guns. :rolleyes:

I predicted this ruling a year ago. Folks should realize that if it were such a black and white issue it would not be in the Supreme Court and it would not be the last ruling of the year.

Anyway, I’m happy. I’m going to buy a new 1911.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.