High Court strikes down gay marriage laws

Everyday there come news of a slap in the face of traditional marriage from around the world. Finally a small victory in a small part of the world.
au.news.yahoo.com/a/20283301/high-court-strikes-down-gay-marriage-laws/

[quote="latin_rite, post:1, topic:347877"]
Everyday there come news of a slap in the face of traditional marriage from around the world. Finally a small victory in a small part of the world.

[/quote]

The reason they struck it down is that the ACT government is like DC here in America. They can't contravene the Federal Parliament's legislation concerning the ACT, and the Federal Parliament says that marriage is between a man and a woman as far as it is concerned. Luckily none of the state governments has yet tried to redefine marriage.

[quote="latin_rite, post:1, topic:347877"]

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Thank the Good Lord that the new Prime Minister is a Jesuit trained catholic along with half the cabinet. But gay marriage will come as the cause is rampant amongst the left. But then will come gay divorce and rainbow settlements. People are so disappointing.

Tony Abbot and many others in his cabnet are Catholics, and the Christian parties are doing okay too I think (I'm not right into politics so I don't know). Abbot has said he wouldn't support same sex marriage even before he was voted in, so while ever liberal is in, I think we are safe in Australia, but the Labour party was dangerously close to putting it through, I think if Liberal didn't win the election, same sex marriage would have happened by now. Legalising same sex marriage was Kevin Rudds (labour party) whole campaign lol.

With society continually growing further and further secular, and especially with people saying that the law should be completely secular, i'll certainly be making sure I cast my vote for Christian politicians.

[quote="Cojuanco, post:2, topic:347877"]
The reason they struck it down is that the ACT government is like DC here in America. They can't contravene the Federal Parliament's legislation concerning the ACT, and the Federal Parliament says that marriage is between a man and a woman as far as it is concerned. Luckily none of the state governments has yet tried to redefine marriage.

[/quote]

As far as I understand it, the High Court's decision stated that according to the Constitution marriage legislation is up to the federal government. In this case it was the Australian Capital Territory that made gay marriage legal (in the ACT only) but, according to the High Court's decision, neither the territories OR the states can make their own legislation in this area. I don't think many people, even those who support it, thought that the ACT's gay marriage law would survive the High Court challenge. I believe that some states do have legally recognised same sex civil unions.

[quote="josh987654321, post:5, topic:347877"]
Tony Abbot and many others in his cabnet are Catholics, and the Christian parties are doing okay too I think (I'm not right into politics so I don't know). Abbot has said he wouldn't support same sex marriage even before he was voted in, so while ever liberal is in, I think we are safe in Australia, but the Labour party was dangerously close to putting it through, I think if Liberal didn't win the election, same sex marriage would have happened by now. Legalising same sex marriage was Kevin Rudds (labour party) whole campaign lol.

With society continually growing further and further secular, and especially with people saying that the law should be completely secular, i'll certainly be making sure I cast my vote for Christian politicians.

[/quote]

Ironically the person who stopped the labour party passing gay marriage laws was the openly atheistic prime minister who lived with her partner. They were the first unwed couple to live in the lodge And her replacement who was a devout Christian was in total support of legalizing gay marriage. Australian politics is a strange beast at times.You have Christian leaders supporting gay marriage, while you had atheist leaders defending the tradition of it.

[quote="latin_rite, post:7, topic:347877"]
a devout Christian was in total support of legalizing gay marriage.

[/quote]

This is an oxymoronic statement.

[quote="Deus_tecum, post:8, topic:347877"]

[/quote]

Don't worry i was thinking that as i was typing. I was going to put "Devout Christian"

Good news

From a purely emotional standpoint, I kinda feel bad for the people who actually did get married in that short period. Their marriages were annulled as if it never happened, which sounds very sad.

[quote="VanSensei, post:11, topic:347877"]
From a purely emotional standpoint, I kinda feel bad for the people who actually did get married in that short period. Their marriages were annulled as if it never happened, which sounds very sad.

[/quote]

Well to be fair. They were never really married in the first place

[quote="latin_rite, post:7, topic:347877"]
Ironically the person who stopped the labour party passing gay marriage laws was the openly atheistic prime minister who lived with her partner. They were the first unwed couple to live in the lodge And her replacement who was a devout Christian was in total support of legalizing gay marriage. Australian politics is a strange beast at times.You have Christian leaders supporting gay marriage, while you had atheist leaders defending the tradition of it.

[/quote]

lol true.

Thanks and praise be to God! I honestly feel that such rulings which are for our side are the result of many prayers said for the preservation of marriage. Let us continue to pray for the preservation of true marriage and let us increase our fervency of these prayers! :thumbsup:

[quote="VanSensei, post:11, topic:347877"]

[/quote]

Very well said.

Too bad no one else here seems capable of even an ounce of empathy.

[quote="Deus_tecum, post:8, topic:347877"]

[/quote]

He was Protestant.

:eek: Yea your right!!

β€œIt does not feel any different to how it did before,” Ms Watson said after the ruling.

:hmmm:

[quote="Slavonic, post:15, topic:347877"]
Very well said.

Too bad no one else here seems capable of even an ounce of empathy.

[/quote]

how can one have empathy for something that didn't happen ? :confused: :rolleyes:

Its bad news..............:(

[quote="Djames581, post:19, topic:347877"]
Its bad news..............:(

[/quote]

May I ask why?

Thanks
Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.