High School Coach suspended over remarks criticizing homosexuals, Michele Obama

foxnews.com/us/2013/02/06/high-school-football-coach-suspended-over-remarks-criticizing-michelle-obama/?test=latestnews?test=latestnews

Advocates in the LGBT community have called for Grisham's firing or resignation.

A student recorded the remarks and this teacher has to go to "sensitivity training".

Has been removed from teaching psychology.

[quote="gam197, post:1, topic:313912"]
foxnews.com/us/2013/02/06/high-school-football-coach-suspended-over-remarks-criticizing-michelle-obama/?test=latestnews?test=latestnews

Advocates in the LGBT community have called for Grisham's firing or resignation.

A student recorded the remarks and this teacher has to go to "sensitivity training".

Has been removed from teaching psychology.

[/quote]

Is there "sensitivity" re-education for those that offend Catholic sensibilities?

I love how Fox didn't say what he said, just that he "criticized" her, despite the fact that there is a recording of it.

Yeah.....he was completely over-the-top out of line and should not be in a position of teaching children if he can't conduct himself in a professional manner.

forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2013/02/05/football-coach-suspended-for-classroom-rant-against-michelle-obama-gays/

I chose Forbes because it is known for being conservative and it has a transcript of what was said.

originally posted by fix
Is there "sensitivity" re-education for those that offend Catholic sensibilities?

Did you see my post on Harvard Law Professor Michael Sandel. Please take 10 minutes to view.

Episode 12 - start at 12 minutes into video.

This is OK though and put on PBS.

[quote="fix, post:2, topic:313912"]

[/quote]

I'm sure there isn't.

This reminds me of something my granddaughter told me. She's a senior in high school. Due to government directives, school lunches have been made pretty spare and emphasize "veggies". The kids are all hungry and not at all impressed with the meals. Seems they refer to Michelle Obama as "Moo". Not sure why, but it might be the initials.

Anyway, Ms. Obama isn't winning any admirers among the students. My granddaughter gave me one example of a "meal" that was served. Baked potato with some kind of nasty, ersatz mayonnaise to put in it, green beans and celery. That's it.

It might be beneficial in the long run. Many or most of the kids now carry some kind of food to school with them because they're hungry all the time. At least until the school starts running them through a TSA "food detector" of some sort, they have to exercise advance planning, surreptitious food storage and clandestine eating; all useful skills when Obama's ultimate vision for America is realized. :rotfl::rotfl:

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:5, topic:313912"]
I'm sure there isn't.

This reminds me of something my granddaughter told me. She's a senior in high school. Due to government directives, school lunches have been made pretty spare and emphasize "veggies". The kids are all hungry and not at all impressed with the meals. Seems they refer to Michelle Obama as "Moo". Not sure why, but it might be the initials.

Anyway, Ms. Obama isn't winning any admirers among the students. My granddaughter gave me one example of a "meal" that was served. Baked potato with some kind of nasty, ersatz mayonnaise to put in it, green beans and celery. That's it.

It might be beneficial in the long run. Many or most of the kids now carry some kind of food to school with them because they're hungry all the time. At least until the school starts running them through a TSA "food detector" of some sort, they have to exercise advance planning, surreptitious food storage and clandestine eating; all useful skills when Obama's ultimate vision for America is realized. :rotfl::rotfl:

[/quote]

Your granddaughter was either misinformed or exaggerating. There are still USDA regulations in place that require a minimum number of calories AND that a protein be served.

And Michelle Obama has absolutely no control over school lunches.:rolleyes:

[quote="BlueEyedLady, post:6, topic:313912"]
Your granddaughter was either misinformed or exaggerating. There are still USDA regulations in place that require a minimum number of calories AND that a protein be served.

[/quote]

But she's the moving spirit in it, and you know it.

And I'll thank you not to again suggest that my granddaughter is a liar. She knows what she knows. You weren't there.

[/quote]

Apparently you are under informed:

**First lady Michelle Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack **announced the new guidelines during a visit Wednesday with elementary students. Mrs. Obama, also joined by celebrity chef Rachael Ray, said youngsters will learn better if they don't have growling stomachs at school.

"As parents, we try to prepare decent meals, limit how much junk food our kids eat, and ensure they have a reasonably balanced diet," Mrs. Obama said. "And when we're putting in all that effort the last thing we want is for our hard work to be undone each day in the school cafeteria."

huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/school-lunches-to-have-mo_0_n_1230749.html

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:7, topic:313912"]
But she's the moving spirit in it, and you know it.

And I'll thank you not to again suggest that my granddaughter is a liar. She knows what she knows. You weren't there.

[/quote]

Either she goes to a private school that is not held to the government standards, or she is wrong. That is not allowable under current regulations. And, if somehow she is correct and does go to a public school then a complaint needs to be filed. It is her specific school doing something wrong, not the government.

fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/regulations/7cfr210_12.pdf

I understand disagreeing with our president on any number of issues, I really do. Heck, I disagree with him on quite a few myself. But hating his wife for wanting kids to exercise and eat right in the midst of a childhood obesity crisis? Really?

Oh please, she announced it with Vilsack. So did Rachel Ray. Is Rachel Ray responsible? No.

This falls under the purview of the USDA to the extent allowable by law. Beyond that it’s in the hands of congress and then the president. All first ladies have had their pet causes. Obama’s is health. Laura Bush had education. Nancy Regan had drugs.

First ladies in this country have historically been activists.

[quote="BlueEyedLady, post:10, topic:313912"]
Oh please, she announced it with Vilsack. So did Rachel Ray. Is Rachel Ray responsible? No.

This falls under the purview of the USDA to the extent allowable by law. Beyond that it's in the hands of congress and then the president. All first ladies have had their pet causes. Obama's is health. Laura Bush had education. Nancy Regan had drugs.

First ladies in this country have historically been activists.

[/quote]

And those first ladies didn't catch flack for their involvement? Oh please......:rolleyes:

If Michelle doesn't want people to point out her short comings in the area of diet - she shouldn't be advising others on theirs.

[/quote]

Don't interrupt the raving with facts...

God forbid someone encourage children to exercise and eat right! The horror!!! :eek:

[quote="Seeker1961, post:12, topic:313912"]
Don't interrupt the raving with facts...

God forbid someone encourage children to exercise and eat right! The horror!!! :eek:

[/quote]

I think it's hilarious that people call her fat. Really? Has anyone seen that woman's arms? She's ripped.

Obesity is an uncomfortable subject in this country. So many people are fat, and of course there are a lot of self-image problems that go along with that, so it makes it difficult to discuss. When children grow up fat their lives and health are inhibited in so many ways. I get it completely. I grew up fat. Not heavy, overweight, or chunky. Fat. I was fat until I was finally out on my own and realized that I didn't want to be anymore. 5 years later and I'm 5'2, 120 lbs, and in great shape.

I don't have a magic answer for this problem, but I do think that school lunches and encouraging kids to play outside are good starting points.

Since California public schools push views on Harvey B. Milk, this teacher must have the right to give his views and not be suspended. It would be nice for public school students in California to speak against Harvey B. Milk the statutory rapist being honored in public schools. It's gay groups who push their views on others so they have no right to complain.

It is well-covered in the news that Michelle Obama took up this nutrition crusade. Even the Washington Post, known liberal newspaper states this in the first paragraph of their story on this subject:

*The latest public rant against Michelle Obama’s effort to promote low-calorie school lunches was recently caught on tape in Alabama *— the usual protest against the federal government meddling in local business. And then it quickly found its way around to the first lady’s posterior.

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/michelle-obamas-posterior-again-the-subject-of-a-public-rant/2013/02/04/c119c9a8-6efb-11e2-aa58-243de81040ba_story.html

What are the facts? I'm inclined to believe those being fed. :thumbsup: Good meals usually don't bring a negative response.;)

nbcwashington.com/news/health/First-lady-Michelle-Obama-to-Announce-School-Meal-Changes-in-NoVa-138034658.html

Criticize Michelle Obama over being totally cool with unborn children being murdered in utero. Don't criticize her for wanting children who are already born to be healthy.

[quote="The_Bucket, post:17, topic:313912"]
Criticize Michelle Obama over being totally cool with unborn children being murdered in utero. Don't criticize her for wanting children who are already born to be healthy.

[/quote]

Who is Michelle Obama to tell another couples child what to eat? Oh right, pretty much what the Supreme Court Judge said on Obamacare, "If they get away with this, next they'll tell you what you can and can't eat". :thumbsup:

[quote="BlueEyedLady, post:13, topic:313912"]
I think it's hilarious that people call her fat. Really? Has anyone seen that woman's arms? She's ripped.

Obesity is an uncomfortable subject in this country. So many people are fat, and of course there are a lot of self-image problems that go along with that, so it makes it difficult to discuss. When children grow up fat their lives and health are inhibited in so many ways. I get it completely. I grew up fat. Not heavy, overweight, or chunky. Fat. I was fat until I was finally out on my own and realized that I didn't want to be anymore. 5 years later and I'm 5'2, 120 lbs, and in great shape.

I don't have a magic answer for this problem, but I do think that school lunches and encouraging kids to play outside are good starting points.

[/quote]

Do you honestly think she falls within the National Institute of Health's BMI index?

[quote="The_Bucket, post:17, topic:313912"]

[/quote]

You mean that you can criticize someone and disagree with them on a very fundamental level without ripping apart every little thing they do?

So many people, both liberal and conservative think that they lose credibility if they agree with or at the very least don't blast something that their opponent does. Quite the opposite. You gain credibility when you have the maturity and intellect to say "I really, really hate that so and so stands for X, but I do appreciate their efforts with Y". Last semester I was tutoring an undergad Poli Sci student in statistical software. I mentioned that I disagreed with some of the Obama administrations actions in the Middle East and he got very snobby and said that since I voted for him I had no right to complain. I explained that because I voted for him I should complain. If there is ever a politician that you agree with completely, or disagree with completely, then you aren't using your own head, you are letting artificial party lines dictate your thoughts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.