High School In Woodbury Blocks Students From Accessing Conservative Sites

A Woodbury High Schooler claims he uncovered political bias in the implementation of a firewall blocking some political Web sites at his school.

18-year-old Andrew Lampart, a senior at Nonnewaug High School, said he made the discovery when he was doing research for a classroom debate on gun control in May. Lampart said he first noticed that he could not get on the web site for the National Rifle Association.

“So, I went over to the other side. And I went over on sites such as Moms Demand Action or Newtown Action Alliance and I could get on these Web sites but not the others,” Lampart said.

foxct.com/2014/06/17/high-school-in-woodbury-blocks-students-from-accessing-conservative-sites

We’re all for diversity of opinion… that is of course, unless you disagree with us

:thumbsup:

We are the liberal, prepare to be assimilate. Resistance if futile.

This can’t be. Random posters on Catholic Answers, who routinely vote against the interests of the Church, swear the media and education systems are not politically biased towards liberalism. In fact, they do so in mocking tones towards people who claim otherwise.

I’ll take their anonymous opinion over your actual evidence any day, TYVM.

Ever think near weekly school shootings across this country might have more to do with this than politics?

No. These people don’t care about the shootings. Anyone who cares takes meaningful steps. I haven’t seen many of those from the schools. Some, but not many. Like I said, they clearly just do not care, and want to feign as though they do. Blocking access to the NRA, a group that is rife with help on gun safety and accident prevention?

No, they couldn’t care less about the shootings.

Why not ban pizza mondays too, if you are in a hurry to do things that won’t make any difference?

Everything in schools is based on an agenda of indoctrination. They are by and large cess pools.

And you realize that I could justify ANY abuse or bias of free speech, freedom of assembly, and the like by using fear as my justification.

If you think that is okay, you must surely have loved the Japanese internment camps in WWII.

If I type in USCCB or something similar at work. It gets blocked quoting as reason; “Traditional Religion”

:thumbsup:

“Traditional religion” is blocked? Who has time to block all these internet sites? Apparently, the free and open Internet is an illusion.

Wow. And I thought my company was bad. :slight_smile: (They do rate 100% on some major LGBT list, after all.)

Thank you for giving me a new appreciation for my employer. The only sites they block are ones that they might get in trouble for–ones McAffee doesn’t like and I think ones that have dubious respect for IP rights.

I wonderm, can you access sites for non-traditional religions? Some witchcraft site or something? Maybe www.wicca.org? :smiley:

–Jen

You could probably get around the firewall by putting in the site’s IP addess rather than its url.

Your company probably uses Websense filtering.

They have everything grouped into categories that can be selected by your company’s IT administrator. A list of categories is at this list.

What it says about religion is:

Religion
The parent category that contains the categories:

[INDENT]Non-Traditional Religion: Sites that provide information about non-traditional religious beliefs and practices.
Traditional Religions: Sites that provide information about or promote Bahai, Buddhism, Christian Science, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Mormonism, Shinto and Sikhism, as well as atheism.[/INDENT]

WARNING: If your IT department uses Websense, they can and do track each and every site where you surf during work. If you do any non-work-related surfing (even that which doesn’t get filtered), be aware.

How does blocking access to a site like the NRA have anything to do with school shootings?
After all, the NRA does not support school shootings.
In fact, they’ve recommended steps to prevent them, reasonable steps that are completely ignored while schools, such as the one I teach at, spends thousands of dollars to put in “security” systems that are essentially the same as the one that failed at Sandy Hook.

Jon

The principal of the school has issued a statement. He explains that an outside company, Dell SonicWall, is responsible for creating and maintaining the filter. Part of this involves assigning websites to categories. The school district does not block individual websites, but categories of websites.

The principal acknowledges there seems to be a systematic bias in how political/advocacy sites are categorized, with conservative sites blocked and liberal sites not rated. The school has asked the company for an explanation, and will make public what they find out.
ctreg14.org/uploaded/homepg_photo_rotation/June_19_2014.pdf

I am not sure who at Dell SonicWall is responsible, but s/he was pretty foolish to think that what he or she did would not be noticed. And n the hyper-partisan culture which the US currently has, what was done was bound to become part of the national discussion. The person responsible will be bringing down a whole lot of grief on themselves and their company.

And the principal’s story is believable, frankly. Web filters, and that sort of software is usually farmed out to a contractor.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

True. It is also believable that the contracted company may have responded to the wishes of the school or district. Or maybe not.

Jon

[quote=JonNC] Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyCatholic01

And the principal’s story is believable, frankly. Web filters, and that sort of software is usually farmed out to a contractor.

True. It is also believable that the contracted company may have responded to the wishes of the school or district. Or maybe not.

Jon
[/quote]

That is very true, but since I so rarely say anything nice about schools like this or principals, I figured this was my one chance. That’s the end of that.

As a teacher, this us my only chance to not say (false) nice things, it I want to keep my job, that is. :cool:

Jon

Looking into this a bit more, I see that there is some federal law associated – CIPA (Children’s Internet Protection Act):

Children’s Internet Protection Act

Background

The Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) was enacted by Congress in 2000 to address concerns about children’s access to obscene or harmful content over the Internet. CIPA imposes certain requirements on schools or libraries that receive discounts for Internet access or internal connections through the E-rate program – a program that makes certain communications services and products more affordable for eligible schools and libraries. In early 2001, the FCC issued rules implementing CIPA and provided updates to those rules in 2011.

Please note this from a brochure from a web filtering company (Lightspeed) – click on the image to go to the pdf from where it was extracted:

img823.imageshack.us/img823/6049/xpt9.png

Note the third bullet. They will block pages that “promote” weapons. So it sounds like any site that would take a pro-second amendment stand risks being blocked.

I noticed that promoting one’s 2nd amendment right is categorized with "promoting violence, hate,…alcohol and gambling. :bigyikes:

Nothing to see here Just move along, Citizen.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.