High school student files lawsuit over 'F' after cheating accusation

nydailynews.com/news/national/high-school-student-files-lawsuit-f-cheating-accusation-article-1.1975110

Student brings illegal cheat sheet for a test inside a pencil case. Student says that she never used the cheat sheet and wasn’t caught with it however student still got an F.

that must have been one horrible cheat-sheet to get an F ( LOL )

If they let her off, what does she learn?

She’s lucky, at my university we caught a student cheating on a midterm, automatic disciplinary probation and a retake on the test which resulted in academic suspension. In the workplace, her employment would be terminated and she could be looking at prosecution and jail depending on the situation.

Remember when I was in 5-grade, I tried to cheat on a spelling test. Not only got an F for my efforts, lost recess, had three days detention during which the group of us kids were on our hands and knees taking scuff marks off of the hallway floor! Decided the cheating wasn’t worth the effort. Stupid thing was, :blush: , I knew the words after making the cheat sheet. Never attempted to cheat on a test after that; however, I learned that making those notes helped to study for the test!

She’s lucky, at my university we caught a student cheating on a midterm, automatic disciplinary probation and a retake on the test which resulted in academic suspension. In the workplace, her employment would be terminated and she could be looking at prosecution and jail depending on the situation.

Sometimes, I think some of that is just a witch-hunt to make unionized teachers, tenured faculty, TA’s, guest lecturers and/or administrations look like they are doing something.

As far as grades go, I’m not sure I could trust them as an actual key indicator of student ability 100% because of such nonsense and because some grading is arbitrary or even done by the students.

I was talking to an ombudsman at my old university, and I think she said nearly half of their plagiarism cases are overturned.

That’s really quite stunning.

I believe the operate word in some of these cases is scandal, possibly even discrimination.

Really does show the quality of learning in American academia these days. :rolleyes:

So then what about other students who brought in study materials that were in the classroom? Should they get Fs, or is there something special about a pencil pouch?

It REALLY bugs me that this girl, who has a clean record, is getting punished for the POSSIBILITY of cheating.

Furthermore, it is the responsibility of the instructor and proctor (and the school board if they wish to micro-manage the classrooms) to set CLEAR policies BEFOREHAND about what can and cannot be in the classroom during a test, exercise or whatever.

You mean, “reality based” news… it does seem contrived sometimes.

Oh, never… students have off days, some topics just don’t stick, some grades are certainly arbitrary. However, if the teacher/TA makes that assessment, then the student and the parents should be taking it under consideration.

WOW, over half, I’m stunned. Our overturn rate was less than 5%… usually the prof would bring a copy of the plagiarized material. No citation, copied word for word or even “close-enough” and that was “good-enough” for the review board to act… but then again that was 20 years ago :shrug:

I hate the race card. IMHO, it is very much abused and over used. I do not doubt, nor argue, that there are legitimate cases; however, all too often, the accusation proves false after a lot of anger and mistrust is unjustly created on both sides of the fence.

and that neighbor is one of the reasons why my little ones are in the Catholic School.
our friends just pulled their little one out this year… turns out, their child is basically repeating the last year’s curriculum because the public schools are just that far behind our local Catholic elementary schools academically (and we have time for prayer and recess which the public schools have all but eliminated (well, they’ve eliminated prayer) - go figure).

Good questions!
However, I doubt the pencil pouch is an issue unless it had the answers to the quiz printed on it… that’s apples and oranges. Further in high school, and when I was a TA, the first words out of the teachers (TA’s) mouth were something like, please place all of your study materials under your desk, have out only a pencil and a piece of plain scratch paper…

As a TA at the University, when I proctored tests it was made very clear what was and was not allowed. Of course, we simply designed open book tests, the students soon learned that open book was much harder. - yes, please, don’t study, bring the book… :eek: love that deer-in-the-headlights look.

Besides, there’s usually a code of conduct in many policy manuals that covers the actual deed or attempt to cheat… leading into:

I find that quite often this has been done.
Going back to the local public schools, I had a chance to review their PPM, it’s very clear what is and isn’t allowed during school hours. Besides, there is a “code of conduct” section in the PPM that covers cheating, both in act and in attempt.
For that fact, growing up as a military brat, I moved all over the country, and in every school that my brother and I ever attended (at least a dozen or so :slight_smile: ) the code of conduct sections always had something concerning cheating, either in act or in attempt.

She was caught in a position that showed she had at one point the will to cheat and made that act possible thru the action of having the unauthorized material available… I’m afraid, if I were to sit on that jury, I’d vote in the favor of the school. Our children need to learn consequence for action… and the sooner they learn, the happier they will be (IMHO).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.