High school teacher suspended for ‘Santa Claus is white’ comment to black student in Christmas costume

National Post:

High school teacher suspended for ‘Santa Claus is white’ comment to black student in Christmas costume

A high school teacher has been disciplined after a parent says the man told his black son that Santa Claus is white. Officials at the school in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, about 24 kilometres north of Albuquerque, announced that the teacher recently was disciplined for his comments to the student, but they declined to say how, KOB-TV reported.

The move came after students at Cleveland High School were told they could come to class dressed as Santa, an elf or a reindeer.
Michael Rougier said his son, Christopher, arrived wearing a Santa hat and beard, and the teacher asked the boy: “Don’t you know Santa Clause is white? Why are you wearing that?”

Michael Rougier said the teacher’s comments enraged him.
“There’s no room for that in the classroom,” he said. “Whether this teacher felt Christopher may have been wearing this out of context, there’s no room for it. There’s just no room for it.”

The teacher was just wrong.

Unbelievable. What was the teacher thinking?

Yeesh.
Does she not know that SanctNiklos was a Greek living in Lycia?

I’d like to have been there. The teacher may have been making fun of that gaggle of goofs on Fox the other day. If not I agree…what were you thinking?

Wonder what would happen if he came dressed as Jesus:D Not only would he be in trouble because it’s a public school, but the teacher might think Jesus was “white”.

Here we go again! :smiley: :popcorn:

Let’s be realistic about this. By suspending the teacher, the Principal probably saved the school from a lawsuit which would have awarded the parents of the boy gazillions of dollars because his little psyche got dented by a horrible, mean, kukluxer of a teacher!!!
Never forget that today, most school administrators and teachers have to be politically correct idiots to hold their jobs…Sorry, I should have said highly educated politically correct idiots lacking common sense.
Cases in point: News reports of a little boy getting suspended from school because he drew a picture of a gun, or another child for pointing a finger at another child and saying bang! The excuse being a zero tolerance for firearms!!! Both children were under 10 years old, or a 6 year old who was reported to the police for sexual harassment because he kissed a little girl on school property.

Why on earth do we have to do the “what color is Santa” dance every year? Why does it matter? He was greek, but everything about the common depiction is completely mythical anyway, so why not let each family decide what story they want to tell their kids?

That pretty much describes the reality behind her suspension.

If teachers got suspended every time they said something obnoxious or dumb, school would be out forever.

Was he? Maybe it’s time for some honest dialog on this topic. From my years of observation, not based on the scientific method exactly. It appears to me that fat white guys have been over represented in the role of St. Nick. :shrug:

ATB

Yes, but the look of Santa Claus evolved over centuries - taking on characteristics of more northern European (read: white) characters- such as the pagan god Odin, as well as Dutch folklore and Scandinavian folklore. I am not to keen on the modern American version of this “santa claus” because it seems more like a symbol of the consumerism than of an appropriate symbol of a holiday celebrating the birth of Christ. Mind you, I am not a scrooge: I like exchanging presents on Christmas, and the kids are cute when they get excited for Christmas and wait for Santa Claus. I just think a little historical perspective is in order.

For the record: the teacher’s comment seems silly and out of line.

Ishii

I just did a Google Image search using ‘Santa Claus’ or ‘Santa Claus parade’, and every picture that came up was a white Santa. There were too many pictures to post them all, but here’s one:

http://www.lakeshoresantaclausparade.com/images/img_r2_c3.jpg

I rest my case. Who knows what harm this has done to us on a societal level. :tsktsk:

Time to right the wrong!

ATB

But it proves that what the teacher said is the truth. Santa is almost always portrayed as being white. I’ll bet you had to specifically do a special search for “black Santa” to find your picture. But if you just type “Santa Claus” all of them will come up white.

ahh, Tongue in cheek. :wink:

Assuming this story is true, what the teacher said was utterly tactless and unnecessary.

Utterly.

This is children dressing up as a favorite character. **Who the heck cares if the child is black?

Being realistic would be to realize there is a difference between teachers and administrators going overboard in regards to zero tolerance for firearms and a teacher telling a student he shouldn’t be wearing a hat and fake beard because the mythical (Santa Claus isn’t St. Nicholas, especially the modern secular version of Santa Claus) figure he is dressing up as is white.

Without looking further into this story, I think there are two possibilities here.

It’s possible that the teacher thought that she was being funny, and attempting to poke fun at Megyn Kelly and Fox News. Which is pretty stupid. Children aren’t necessarily going to get adult humor. It’s also possible (hopefully much less possible) that the teacher was just plain mean. And racist.

Either way, it was a pretty dumb thing to say, don’t you think?

Finally, Santa Claus is pure fantasy for children. Santa can be black or white or however a child likes to picture him. Really. Bring on the black Santa. Or the Asian Santa. Or the female Santa. I’m all for it.

Can we at least agree the Easter Bunny is white?

That would be racist. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.