Highlights children’s magazine to publish image of same-sex couple for first time after controversy

From The Washington Post.

washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2017/01/06/highlights-childrens-magazine-to-publish-image-of-same-sex-couple-for-first-time-after-controversy/?utm_term=.aad465e0afc2

Ed

Highlights, Hello and High Five adding LGBT content

[quote="edwest2, post:1, topic:435714"]

washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2017/01/06/highlights-childrens-magazine-to-publish-image-of-same-sex-couple-for-first-time-after-controversy/?utm_term=.aad465e0afc2

Ed

[/quote]

I always enjoyed Highlights magazine as a kid,subscribed to it for my daughters but I won't subscribe for my grandkids now

[quote="Jeanne_S, post:2, topic:435714"]
I always enjoyed Highlights magazine as a kid,subscribed to it for my daughters but I won't subscribe for my grandkids now

[/quote]

I remember it as a kid too. But I don't see anything wrong with the image. There are indeed SS couples with children and they might even go on camping trips. I realize the Catholic Church opposes SS couples legally being able to marry and opposes SS couples as heads of families. But not all faiths do and marriage equality for 2 monogamous persons is the law of the land. Some of the kids who are being raised by SS couples might even read Highlights the way you and I did. Highlights is merely mirroring what exists legally and kids are going to see SS couples and their families in the real world regardless.

I think print media is struggling and when that happens, they become succeptable to special agendas and such.

The same sex agenda has a real eye for sexualizing children. It's scary.

Using nomenclature and platforms that in the 80s would have been safe spaces for families and children. Shows with the name " family" in them, children's movies, like storks and frozen.... it's a scary time to be a parent.

We are a homeschooling family and quite old school but I can't imagine a paper subscription being useful to us or something we would enjoy.

( on the off chance my children's non Catholic grandparents happen to read CAF long enough to figure out my identity);)

[quote="Hoosier_Daddy, post:4, topic:435714"]
I think print media is struggling and when that happens, they become succeptable to special agendas and such.

The same sex agenda has a real eye for sexualizing children. It's scary.

Using nomenclature and platforms that in the 80s would have been safe spaces for families and children. Shows with the name " family" in them, children's movies, like storks and frozen.... it's a scary time to be a parent.

[/quote]

This is why forcing us to have SSM was so important. It legitimizes the lifestyle and allows them to really indoctrinate future generations.

[quote="Sy_Noe, post:3, topic:435714"]
I remember it as a kid too. But I don't see anything wrong with the image. There are indeed SS couples with children and they might even go on camping trips. I realize the Catholic Church opposes SS couples legally being able to marry and opposes SS couples as heads of families. But not all faiths do and marriage equality for 2 monogamous persons is the law of the land. Some of the kids who are being raised by SS couples might even read Highlights the way you and I did. Highlights is merely mirroring what exists legally and kids are going to see SS couples and their families in the real world regardless.

[/quote]

I vaguely remember when they started integrating their drawings of families. There were a few disconcerted people who wanted the magazine to stay all white - or animal. Sy, I agree that they are just mirroring the families of today. It's really the new norm, just as single parent families are the norm, just as blended families are the norm.

[quote="exnihilo, post:5, topic:435714"]
This is why forcing us to have SSM was so important. It legitimizes the lifestyle and allows them to really indoctrinate future generations.

[/quote]

To some extent, because reproduction is a non issue for them I think conversion and a battle for the minds of children is important. But I also think there is something even more sinister at play. I think deviation knows no boundaries and there is a satisfaction and justification if their lifestyle can involve altering childre's sexual development.

I will note however that this seems to apply to all sexual immorality gay and strait. There are plenty of sexuality ideals past to children in children's programming and movies. Sometimes they hide it under the cover of adult humor that is over the heads of kids, and sometimes it's outright overt.

[quote="Hoosier_Daddy, post:7, topic:435714"]
To some extent, because reproduction is a non issue for them I think conversion and a battle for the minds of children is important. But I also think there is something even more sinister at play. I think deviation knows no boundaries and there is a satisfaction and justification if their lifestyle can involve altering childre's sexual development.

I will note however that this seems to apply to all sexual immorality gay and strait. There are plenty of sexuality ideals past to children in children's programming and movies. Sometimes they hide it under the cover of adult humor that is over the heads of kids, and sometimes it's outright overt.

[/quote]

Before I was a parent, the magazines at the check-out aisle bothered me. That is now obviously amplified. The covers completely objectify women (and subsequently men), and young boys and girls will be drawn to the images. I was when I was little. I wanted to look like all those beautiful women, and I imagine they're hard to ignore as a developing boy. My best plan so far is to study Theology of the Body at appropriate age levels, and to try and inundate the kids with good art. My kids will need to somehow learn that the magazine pictures aren't the base-line. I'm still at a bit of a loss.

...and slowly and secretly the liberal/progressive poison is spread :mad:

Cancelled weeks ago; I'm just hoping the Cricket family of magazines isn't the next to fall under the eye of Sauron.

Never liked it when I was a kid. Thought they were trying to kill my soul with boredom. Now looks like they've refined their soul-killing skills. :(

[quote="edwest2, post:1, topic:435714"]

Ed

[/quote]

That's nothin' you wait till they start introducing the 'Gender Fairy' :(

With books like this, I hope people are starting to wake up, I know people are.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

[quote="Sy_Noe, post:3, topic:435714"]

[/quote]

[quote="ComplineSanFran, post:6, topic:435714"]

[/quote]

Would you say they are equal? Equal to the nuclear family of biological mum, dad and kids?

If so, what happened to the little boy or girl's mum in the picture? They do have a mother, something happened to her.

Single parents, divorced parents and gay parents may be a new 'norm' but is that something you want to encourage? motherless/fatherless children and split up families? Is this the new norm? Maybe it is the new norm, but it is not a good norm, not one that should be encouraged and argued as equivalent to the nuclear family.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

The 'desensitizing' to SS lifestyles has been ongoing for some time, its the best way to acclimate society and get majority of people to accept it as normal.

Its not going to stop at SS though, like all sin, sexual sin is progressive, I do not like thinking about whats next, but I can say, the same methods will be used to get people used to it and then to accept it, and really I have been seeing this happen already, I can name a couple things that used to absolutely shock me, but now they do not, and that is due to them being on the news so frequently (that is the first step).

Big whoop. It shows a family, a type that most certainly does exist. How this, as someone suggested, "sexualizes children", escapes me.

[quote="josh987654321, post:13, topic:435714"]
Would you say they are equal? Equal to the nuclear family of biological mum, dad and kids?

If so, what happened to the little boy or girl's mum in the picture? They do have a mother, something happened to her.

Single parents, divorced parents and gay parents may be a new 'norm' but is that something you want to encourage? motherless/fatherless children and split up families? Is this the new norm? Maybe it is the new norm, but it is not a good norm, not one that should be encouraged and argued as equivalent to the nuclear family.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

[/quote]

Granted I come from a different perspective since I no longer practice your faith, but as someone who was raised by a single mom because what happened to my biological father was that he died before I even started kindergarten, yes that was very much my norm. Sure I knew other kids had a different type of family but the nuclear family as you describe it was never the only type of a good family in my eyes. I barely if at all remember my father. To this day I can't be 100% certain if I have actual memories or if they are only stories I heard. My mother played the role of both and I had a great childhood. She did all the things that I saw male parents doing with their sons. Things like helping me with my Cub Scout Pinewood Derby car and one of my fondest memories is still the many times Mom played catch with me and pitched a baseball to me and took me to ballgames. And btw from what I learned later, my father had a drinking problem and unfortunately could occasionally be somewhat abusive. So I can't say I'd have been raised any better with him in the picture.

And I imagine I am not alone. And that to many children today being raised by a loving single parent like mine was, or being raised by a homosexual couple, to them they see, as I did, that their family is one type of many types of families in which they are being raised with love.

God bless you too and thank you for reading as well.

[quote="Sy_Noe, post:16, topic:435714"]
Granted I come from a different perspective since I no longer practice your faith, but as someone who was raised by a single mom because what happened to my biological father was that he died before I even started kindergarten, yes that was very much my norm. Sure I knew other kids had a different type of family but the nuclear family as you describe it was never the only type of a good family in my eyes. I barely if at all remember my father. To this day I can't be 100% certain if I have actual memories or if they are only stories I heard. My mother played the role of both and I had a great childhood. She did all the things that I saw male parents doing with their sons. Things like helping me with my Cub Scout Pinewood Derby car and one of my fondest memories is still the many times Mom played catch with me and pitched a baseball to me and took me to ballgames. And btw from what I learned later, my father had a drinking problem and unfortunately could occasionally be somewhat abusive. So I can't say I'd have been raised any better with him in the picture.

And I imagine I am not alone. And that to many children today being raised by a loving single parent like mine was, or being raised by a homosexual couple, to them they see, as I did, that their family is one type of many types of families in which they are being raised with love.

[/quote]

Sy, we have a completely different worldview and would disagree on many fundamental things, but this post upped my respect for you tenfold. And it drives home a point. And though I doubt that is what drives the inclusion of the families in question, it is an important that by to remember. Thanks for posting a personal story.

[quote="Hoosier_Daddy, post:17, topic:435714"]
Sy, we have a completely different worldview and would disagree on many fundamental things, but this post upped my respect for you tenfold. And it drives home a point. And though I doubt that is what drives the inclusion of the families in question, it is an important that by to remember. Thanks for posting a personal story.

[/quote]

HD, thank you that meant a lot to me.

[/quote]

Sy, I just wanted to say thank you for your personal post. I grew up with an alcoholic father and he too was very abusive and abrasive. My mother should have left him a long time ago, but she stayed because she didn't want to be a single mother. Now don't get me wrong, when my father was sober, he was the best. But alcoholism ruined my childhood, and I hated him because of it. We didn't make amends until he became ill. Maybe I am overly emotional today, but your post touched me. Thank you.

Granted I come from a different perspective since I no longer practice your faith, but as someone who was raised by a single mom because what happened to my biological father was that he died before I even started kindergarten,

[/quote]

:(

yes that was very much my norm. Sure I knew other kids had a different type of family but the nuclear family as you describe it was never the only type of a good family in my eyes. I barely if at all remember my father. To this day I can't be 100% certain if I have actual memories or if they are only stories I heard. My mother played the role of both and I had a great childhood. She did all the things that I saw male parents doing with their sons. Things like helping me with my Cub Scout Pinewood Derby car and one of my fondest memories is still the many times Mom played catch with me and pitched a baseball to me and took me to ballgames.

[/quote]

The keynote difference with yourself I believe, is that it was not purposely set up that way.

And btw from what I learned later, my father had a drinking problem and unfortunately could occasionally be somewhat abusive. So I can't say I'd have been raised any better with him in the picture.

[/quote]

:( However, we can't go on this, because alcoholic/abusive parents can be anyone. Single parents, Divorced parents, Gay parents or Biological parents do not preclude this possibility.

[/quote]

But they are not equivalent, because if you could choose to have your biological father (not abusive or alcoholic) growing up too, wouldn't you choose that? Your circumstances I believe are very different, for the simple reason that the lack of your father was out of your mothers hands, there was nothing to encourage or discourage when it came to your fathers involvement in your life and it sounds like your mother did a great job.

When it comes to same sex marriage, these people enter into it, use a third party with IVF or whatever else, to intentionally create fatherless or motherless children, which is what separates it even from divorcees who don't intentionally set it up that way from the beginning.

I would certainly have a big problem if I had two fathers who paid my mother to be a surrogate and then never to be seen again.

[/quote]

Thank you, God Bless You.

Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.