Hijab

Why can a nun cover her head , but people get bent out of shape when a muslim or non-nun does hijab?
(yes christian women do hijab too) :slight_smile:

Oh no, not this question again! :rolleyes:

It’s been asked and answered a bazillion times here.

Please do not compare Nuns habit to the muslim female dress code. Completely different!

Jastor, I just releazed that you are new here. Welcome!

CAF offers a great search function from already covered issues.

Best regards,
Pam

Its not different; and there are non muslims that cover their head. For instance the women at the top of the forum has her head covered. And she was Jewish.

You are a convert to Islam. If you are female (I can’t tell by your name), then you have chosen to do hijab. A nun chooses her life, too; in this you are the same.

There are women who are forced to do hijab, by sharia law* or the laws of their country. They have no choice. If a nun doesn’t want to wear a habit, she can join a group that does not require it. She has a choice. This is a big difference.

*I do not know if sharia law requires hajib. I also don’t know if Muslim women can be free of hajib, or if it’s a matter of sect.

God bless you,

Ruthie

Historically, at least in the West, head-covering has been a sign of one of a few things. Either the person is in a state of submission or they are dealing with weather or they are hiding their appearance. For the nun, it is a sign of their vows to God.

The reason that people in the West react like they do is because nuns were, for a long time, the only time you saw a Western Woman covered. Even before the West developed the current view of Islam, it was just strange to our eyes. To us, only nuns did that.

I cannot speak for those who are force but I do know that if they were not forced to uncover not all would take it off. Yes, being forced is wrong. But what about the women who are not forced or not muslim? Why should they be seen as “forced”?
Why is it wrong to be modest? So its ok for me to wear a bikini to the beach but it is not ok to be modest and cover with hijab and keep my body hidden? Why do you(or anyone) worry about my body? I am not “forced” to be modest why does it bother people?

Standards of modesty have varied from place to place and time to time.

I saw one Muslim woman who was covered from hair to toes, except for her face.

But she wore a shiny bangly costume with lots of tiny mirrors, to say nothing about many necklaces and pendants.

One of the purposes of modesty is to not draw attention to oneself. But she had every eye in the store on her.

Her body might have been covered (except for her face). But was this really modest?

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

jastor , Welcome to Islam

I can’t tell you how happy I am

InshaAllah I will offer 2 rakat nafal/extra prayer to thank Allah. If possible post your revert to Islam story . If this forum does not allow it , then do it elsewhere & pl. don’t forget to tell me about that .

It’s a must but if anyone does not do that , no earthy punishment is prescribed in Quran or Hadith .

It’s up to God Almighty to punish or forgive those women who denied to obey the command of God .

What is the hijab, BTW?

Is it the one where the woman is completely covered except for small holes for the eyes?
If that is, then no, a nun does not wear like that.

Maybe you’d like to ask these question:

What is the purpose and the objective of wearing a hijab? Does it symbolize anything?

Then you ask the same question about nun’s habit, and compare the answer.

I thought they are two very different things.

Whose getting bent out of shape?

I can tell you that shortly after 911, my children came across some turbaned people. If you had seen them shaking with mortal fear, you would understand why the negative reaction. My heart broke for my children. It was all I could do to console them. You are very insensitive.

The hijab is very feminine and beautiful, but, as usual, the pride, and the lack of love in people’s hearts on the part of both those wearing them, and, in some cases, of those observing them, are the cause of any consternation.

Spare me. A convert? As far as I’m concerned, if you left Christianity, that is, Love Divine HImself, you made a poor bargain.

Men convert to Islam because it empowers men, and the culture presiding today wimpifies men. Big deal.

related link: Women in Islam Versus Women in the Judaeo-Christian Tradition

The Myth and The Reality

By: Sherif Abdel Azim, Ph.D.- Queens University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

THE VEIL ?

…For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head" (I Corinthians 11:3-10).

St. Paul’s rationale for veiling women is that the veil represents a sign of the authority of the man, who is the image and glory of God, over the woman who was created from and for man. St. Tertullian in his famous treatise ‘On The Veiling Of Virgins’ wrote, “Young women, you wear your veils out on the streets, so you should wear them in the church, you wear them when you are among strangers, then wear them among your brothers…” Among the Canon laws of the Catholic church today, there is a law that requires women to cover their heads in church. 82 Some Christian denominations, such as the Amish and the Mennonites for example, keep their women veiled to the present day. The reason for the veil, as offered by their Church leaders, is that “The head covering is a symbol of woman’s subjection to the man and to God”, which is the same logic introduced by St. Paul in the New Testament. 83

From all the above evidence, it is obvious that Islam did not invent the head cover. However, Islam did endorse it. The Quran urges the believing men and women to lower their gaze and guard their modesty and then urges the believing women to extend their head covers to cover the neck and the bosom:

“Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty…And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms…” (Quran 24:30,31).

“O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their bodies (when abroad) so that they should be known and not molested” (Quran 33:59).

… The Islamic veil, unlike the veil of the Christian tradition, is not a sign of man’s authority over woman nor is it a sign of woman’s subjection to man

No, hijab doesn’t cover the face (you are thinking of niqaab). There are many ways to wear hijab, but here is one American example:
Arrested for wearing head scarf in court. - See this image on Photobucket.

Thanks for the information, anyway.

Just to help you a little bit here. I am not much of a reader; I mean I am not a fast reader and so would not be able to cover much in a short time. And especially with topics that don’t interest me, I don’t have much time for them.

Hijab does not interest me but sufficient for me wanting to know in a cursory manner. If you had answered my questions you would have done a wonderful job and it would have served a very useful purpose for me.

As it is, you are giving a long winded article, and believe me, from my experience here, once a Muslim mentions Paul, you know Paul as in the New Testaments of the Christian Bible, your credibility would drop almost to nothing. I would not believe you because it is tainted with prejudice considering the level you put Paul in your thought.

If you want you can start all over again. If not, just forget about it.

Sorry if this sounds lack of charity. I thought maybe being frank would save much time loss.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

The one in the picture is perfectly alright to me; I don’t see any threat whatsoever there. Well, at least on face value.

I suppose the Taliban women wear the latter (niqaab?).

Turbaned men were most likely Seikh, nothing to do with 9/11 whatsoever.

On the topic, I see nothing wrong with Hijab done by choice. I do have issue with it being imposed on women.

Yes, I think the (infamous) burqa uses a form of niqaab, although I will happily accept correction if I am misunderstanding something.

*- Hijab:

**- Niqab & Burqa:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/europe_muslim_veils_and_headscarves/img/2.jpg

- Khimar & Chador:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/europe_muslim_veils_and_headscarves/img/4.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.