Hill of Martyrs

Okay, most of you know that I’m no n-C/a-C, so this is legitimate request.

Has anyone ever heard of this supposed “Hill of Martyrs” that B.H. Clendennen alleges about in his books and videos in which the Catholic Church allegedly murdered 300,000 Scots who wouldn’t deny God or some such malarkey?

Right off the top the number is suspect since at the time it supposedly happened there probably weren’t 300,000 Scots to be murdered in the whole region…God love 'em.

Pax vobiscum,

The number of Scots executed by the Catholic Church was small (I’ve seen the number seven mentioned, though I don’t know for sure that it’s accurate). He’s probably thinking of the Covenanters. There were some massacres of the Covenanters in the 17th century, particularly in the years right before the Glorious Revolution. It’s true that the king at the time was a Catholic (hence the Revolution which dethroned him and put a Protestant in his place), but the government was not. The Covenanters were persecuted because they resisted Anglicanism, not Catholicism. And they were no gentle sheep–they were guilty of a good bit of violence themselves. One of their early leaders, the very holy Samuel Rutherford, spoke of the need to “exterminate Papists.”

Edwin

and don’t forget the infamous massacre of Glencoe, when 100s of enemies of the Cambells were murdered on the orders of an ardent Covenenter.

members.aol.com/Puritanone/martyrs.html

But if I am reading this correctly, it was not murdering 300 thousand it was several hundred - and the murders were the result of problems establishing who should be the kind of England and the subsequent rise of Cromwell.

[quote=Contarini]The number of Scots executed by the Catholic Church was small (I’ve seen the number seven mentioned, though I don’t know for sure that it’s accurate). He’s probably thinking of the Covenanters. There were some massacres of the Covenanters in the 17th century, particularly in the years right before the Glorious Revolution. It’s true that the king at the time was a Catholic (hence the Revolution which dethroned him and put a Protestant in his place), but the government was not. The Covenanters were persecuted because they resisted Anglicanism, not Catholicism. And they were no gentle sheep–they were guilty of a good bit of violence themselves. One of their early leaders, the very holy Samuel Rutherford, spoke of the need to "exterminate Papists."
Edwin
[/quote]

that’s what, I think, the link is addressing - the massacre of the Covenanters…who were hardly innocent babes themselves.

The fact is those were brutal times - and this type of brutality is still practiced in some societies (and example - Rwanda) though now it is recognized as brutality by the world. It was business as usual then.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.