Hill Republicans call on Kerry to apologize, resign for reported Israel 'apartheid' remarks

foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/28/cantor-calls-on-kerry-to-apologize-for-reported-apartheid-remarks-about-israel/

Late Monday Sen. Barbara Boxer added a bipartisan note to the Kerry criticism, tweeting, “Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East and any linkage between Israel and apartheid is nonsensical and ridiculous.”

Kerry is trying to unseat Biden for stupid comments!

Although I have felt that Kerry has a habit of coming on too strong verbally, it does also seem to me that the Obama administration has deliberately re-kindled the cold war for economic reasons which I won’t try to explain here;

But as far as his having disturbed the feelings of our hyper-sensitive middle-eastern ally by warning them that they may be unable to make peace if they become a racist nation, he should apologize for his choice of words and then replace them with this cartoon:

youtube.com/watch?v=99YNdWg7hLU

rex

I think most people would get hyper sensitive if their next door neighbor constantly threatened to kill them and shot through their windows.

I strongly believe Kerry meant what he said. The “Zionism is racism” theme perpetrated by anti-Israel (and anti-American) factions at the UN is sometimes repeated here on CAF.

As to religion, it’s okay to have the “Islamic Republic of this or that”, but it’s not Ok to have a Jewish state. As to “race”, it’s okay to have a “Russia” a “Germany” a “France”, a “Belgium” every one of which denotes an ethnic, even tribal, group, but not an “Israel”.

Kerry is the same guy who accused his fellow soldiers of acting like “Ghengis Khan”. He’s the same guy who never found a pro-abortion cause he didn’t like, despite his religion. That he would be willing to throw Israel under the bus is no surprise.

But, as a representative of the current administration, he really is a good fit.

Indeed. There is no evidence that this administration values our relationship with Israel, in fact, more to the contrary pops up from time to time.

:bighanky: boohoo,

That’s the least they could expect for forcing their way back into their “promised land” and they’ve given back 1000 fold for anything they’ve received.
When folks live by doing unto others as they do unto you instead of “doing unto others as you would have them do unto you”, they need to expect reprisals and the Bolshevik Jews earned plenty of those to my understanding.

rex

Kerry only echoed what the State Department has been saying for decades. Even the Israeli government has acknowledged that there is institutionalized discrimination against Arab citizens. The only difference between this administration and prior administrations as it relates to this subject is that it has the guts to say publicly what their predecessors were only willing to bury in State Department Human Rights reports.

[quote=Sen Barbara Boxer] “Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East and any linkage between Israel and apartheid is nonsensical and ridiculous.”
[/quote]

Nonsensical and ridiculous…Really, Sen Boxer?
2007 — then-Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert: “If the day comes when the two-state solution collapses, and we face a South African-style struggle for equal voting rights (also for the Palestinians in the territories), then, as soon as that happens, the State of Israel is finished.”
2010 — then-Israeli Defense Minister and Former Prime Minister Ehud Barak: “The simple truth is, if there is one state” including Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, “it will have to be either binational or undemocratic. … if this bloc of millions of Palestinians cannot vote, that will be an apartheid state.”
2013 — Israeli Justice Minister and Lead Peace Negotiator Tzipi Livni: “But the time has come for the same youth to ask, to what kind of state do they want to leave the gas reserves? To a Jewish democratic Israel? Or to a binational Arab state? Or to an apartheid state? It is impossible to deal with economic issues and to ignore the important diplomatic issues related to two states for two peoples.”

Anyone truly aware of the situation there (and that most certainly includes Sec Kerry and the President) knows how valid these concerns are.

John Kerry is not fit to hold public office. His support of abortion was reason enough for him to resign long before any of this broke.

I’m sure a lot of Arabs in Israel would tell you privately they don’t want Muslim rule. :yup:

Where’s the incentive when 70% of American Jews vote democrat all the time?

Sci tell me what.Who is treated harsher.Arabs in Israel of Jews in the Palestinian territories?

So tell me Who is treated harsher.Arabs in Israel of Jews in the Palestinian territories?

If you look up the history, you will find that virtually every Arab state is free of Jews. That was not always the case. It’s becoming more and more true of Christians as well. The only place in the Middle East where the Christian population is growing is Israel. If one wants to see “Apartheid” if not outright “ethnic cleansing”, one needs look no further than the Islamic states.

The statement is outrageous. In just talking about the Middle-East and not speaking about other events in history, at a minimal an apology would be in order.

The Arabs in Israel are tolerated. They are comparatively well off, despite the restrictions they must live under (where they are allowed to live, who they can marry, etc). But they are becoming a more and more alienated group. Israeli politics has become more and more right wing, with the rise of parties calling for measures such as the expulsion of the Palestinian Arabs from Israel proper.

As far as Jews in the Palestinian territories, that depends. In the territories that Jewish settlers have usurped from their rightful Palestinian owners, they are doing quite well. Jews for obvious reasons wouldn’t fare too well in the territories of Gaza and the West Bank they haven’t appropriated.

This is all part of what serious and thoughtful people are wrestling with inside Israel and the US. As the “creeping annexation” of the West Bank continues, the question becomes: what happens to the Palestinians? As the “two state solution” becomes less and less viable, you ultimately end up with one state with a minority Jewish population. The Palestinians in such as state can either have full citizenship rights (which means Israel cannot be a “Jewish” state) or they are a second-class people without full rights living under a Jewish minority, i.e., what sounds like an “apartheid” state. Either that, or Israel undertakes to expel its Arab Palestinian population. Not a happy prospect, either way.

Wrong about “who they can marry”. Israeli law only governs the marriages of Jews, and leaves the marriages of others to their respective religious institutions.

Why do you think Jews in the West Bank (about 1/3 of the total population there) feel compelled to live in fortified areas? It’s because they’re not safe otherwise due to Arab Muslim terrorism. Arabs in Israel, however, do not have to fortify where they live. They have the same rights Jews have except in the very highest cabinet posts. They can vote. They have members in parliament. There are high Arab officers in the army. And they have the highest standard of living of any Arabs in the Middle EAst other than in the small-population oil kingdoms.

And actually, the overwhelming majority in Israel and the West Bank combined, are Israeli Jews. The West Bank is a tiny place geographically and only has a population of about two and a half million, 1/3 of whom, as I said, are Jews.

Whenever I read someone saying how oppressed Palestinian Arabs are, I always think about this Palestinian who lives in the West Bank. Take a look.

google.com/images?q=munib+masri&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ADFA_enUS486&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=PClhU6qHE-PH2QX37YEo&ved=0CCYQsAQ

I’m sure a lot of Ethiopian women would say publicly that they would not have immigrated to Israel had they known they would be subjected to forced sterilization.

I stand corrected on this. Yet the government of Israel does place difficulties on Palestinians in this respect: A Palestinian Arab in Israel who marries a Palestinian from the West Bank is not allowed to live legally in Israel. At the same time, no such restriction is placed on Jews. A Jewish squatter settler living in the West Bank can marry a Jew living in Israel and both are free to come and go without restriction. A Palestinian Arab Israeli would be unlikely to consider himself as someone with full citizenship rights under these circumstances.

[quote=Ridgerunner]Why do you think Jews in the West Bank (about 1/3 of the total population there) feel compelled to live in fortified areas? It’s because they’re not safe otherwise due to Arab Muslim terrorism.
[/quote]

You seem to take as a naturally occurring given the rising Jewish population in the West Bank, when this is the root of the whole problem: the systematic usurpation of Palestinian lands, permitted by the government of Israel. Moshe Dayan’s “creeping annexation” in practice. To attribute Palestinian resentment of such treatment as due to “Arab Muslim terrorism”, I think, belittles the legitimate grievances of the Palestinians.

[quote=Ridgerunner] Arabs in Israel, however, do not have to fortify where they live.
[/quote]

No. At least not yet. But with the increasingly rightward drift of Israeli politics, the Palestinian Arabs are, as I’ve said, becoming an increasingly isolated and resented minority.

[quote=Ridgerunner]And actually, the overwhelming majority in Israel and the West Bank combined, are Israeli Jews. The West Bank is a tiny place geographically and only has a population of about two and a half million, 1/3 of whom, as I said, are Jews.

[/quote]

I think your population figures are off. There are approximately 4.4 million Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, and about 1.6 million Palestinian Arabs in Israel. Now, I’ll again ask: what happens to these 6 million Palestinians should they become absorbed into one “greater Israel” state? The Likud government seems to be doing everything in its power to stifle a viable independent Palestinian state. What does Israel do with 6 million Palestinians in a “greater Israel”? Population projections are that Jews in Israel could very well be a minority before long in such as state. Which is why serious people in Israel are concerned about the implications of the ongoing “creeping annexation” of the West Bank.

IMO, calling on John Kerry to apologize or resign for giving voice to this serious concern is patently absurd.

Thanks for bringing up “legitimate grievances”. This, I think, is what we are called as Catholics to hear.

To practice mercy, we are called to put our resentments aside (forgive everyone involved that we hold something against) and hear the grievances from both Palestinians and Israelis. Whenever we get into the tit-for-tat list of grievances from both sides, trying to say who is more right or wrong, mercy gets sidelined.

It is reconciliation, not power play, that will ultimately solve the problems over there. In the mean time, saying “apartheid” in reference to Israel is essentially censored:

haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.587899

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.