Hillare Belloc's Prescient Writings on Islam

I’m a big Belloc fan and noticed EWTN has The Great Heresies online.

Here’s a link to the chapter on Islam. Bear in mind that Belloc was writing this in the 1938!

ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

The link providing links to all the chapters is cs.cmu.edu/People/spok/metabook/heresies.html

Brian, Belloc was really prophetic! It sounds like it could have been written today. I would encourage everyone to take the time and read Belloc’s essay.

Yes, his The Crusades gives even more perspective. I’m not arguing as to whether or not he’s biased. He gives a good Catholic perspective. I read The Great Heresies already and am reading How the Reformation Happened right now. The Crusades will be next. I’ve picked up and put down How the Reformation Happened several times but I read through The Great Heresies in a few days. Good read!

very interesting. After reading the heresies that arose throughout history, i knew Islam is one of them…it’s pretty clear anyway to anyone who traces it’s teachings.

Yes, Belloc is a great historian, poet and writer. You should read “Path To Rome,” by Belloc. It was about his walking journey from France to Rome. Maybe the best book I ever read. Many of his books you can order from TAN Publications (but I don’t think they carry this one).

Evidently you can read it for free online:

gutenberg.org/etext/7373

-Michael

I just noticed you can order it from Ignatius Press.

[quote=Belloc]But can we be certain it [the struggle between the Christian culture and Islam] is so decided? I doubt it very much. It has always seemed to me possible, and even probable, that there would be a resurrection of Islam and that our sons or our grandsons would see the renewal of that tremendous struggle between the Christian culture and what has been for more than a thousand years its greatest opponent.
[/quote]

Prescient indeed.

Yes, pretty chilling.

Here’s a wiki biography of Belloc for those unfamiliar with him:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilaire_Belloc

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.