Hillary Clinton urges Britain to remain in the European Union

theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/23/hillary-clinton-britain-should-stay-in-eu

**Hillary Clinton urges Britain to remain in the European Union

Hillary Clinton has thrown her weight behind the campaign to keep Britain inside the European Union in a major new boost to David Cameron’s hopes of winning a Remain vote on 23 June.

After Barack Obama used his farewell trip to the UK as president to make the economic and security arguments for membership, Clinton, who is the favourite to win the Democratic nomination in July and become the first female US president, makes clear that if she enters the White House she will want the UK to be fully engaged, and leading the debate, within the EU.**

In a statement to the Observer, her senior policy adviser, Jake Sullivan, said: “Hillary Clinton believes that transatlantic cooperation is essential, and that cooperation is strongest when Europe is united. She has always valued a strong United Kingdom in a strong EU. And she values a strong British voice in the EU.” Sources close to the former secretary of state’s campaign said she stood fully behind Obama’s opposition to Brexit, which the president said on Friday would not only undermine the international institutions, including the EU, that had bound nations closer together since 1945, but would also mean the UK being at “the back of the queue” when negotiating new trade deals.

The United States appears to like to interfere in European affairs.

How is having an opinion interfering. Hillary has a right to an opinion. The British can listen to it or ignore it. Nobody is harmed.

Except Obama was just over there saying same thing. How many American politicians chiming-in on the same issue does it take to equal interference?

Exactly so. Unlike Pres. Obama, Hillary Clinton is currently a private citizen (and hopefully will remain so, but that’s another topic). The last I saw, the First Amendment was still in the Constitution, and still applies to private citizens.

She could become the head of state. That means she would represent the government.

People listen to her HRC because she understands the world stage. What she has to say about foreign affairs will always matter in our lifetime.

I honestly doubt that Britain will leave the European Union but then again, if they do, that is their choice and not Hillary Clinton’s. We Americans need to be staying out of Europe’s business and Europe should not get involved in our business.

I’m afraid we’re too intertwined for that.

I don’t think we are disinterested parties. It would be in our interest for the UK to remain in the union. There is nothing wrong with us expressing an opinion on the matter.

I did not no every detail, and other information could change my opinion. But the mere fact that Hillary and Obama both want it seems to me heavy evidence it would not be a good thing.

The In/Out vote is scheduled for the end of June, the next president will not be elected until November and not sworn into office until January. She will not be an official representative of the US govt at the time of the vote.

I am not sure. The one thing about Obama is that his record on free trade does not seem to be that bad. There are some republicans who are more protectionist than Obama. So if it is from a trade perspective, he might not be wrong.

That’s my opinion too.

He successfully concluded TPP and is pushing very strong in Germany for TTIP.

TTIP would be excellent for breaking down red-tape and making business easier on both sides of the Atlantic - for instance, by fostering a much more propitious regulatory environment compared with the (sometimes exorbitant, especially if you are an SME) risks and costs at present.

His trade policy has always struck me as enlightened and relatively economically liberal (i.e. generally pro-business). I can tell that Clinton agrees with him but Sanders has sadly dragged her to the left on this issue. Trump is just dreadful - he would cause full-blown trade wars that would damage the global economy if we can believe his rhetoric.

I’m not a protectionist, as you can probably see. :wink: Tariff is not my friend, unless of course its in response to another country “dumping” cheap exports on the market or something like that and ruining a whole industry. I understand that free trade must also be reciprocal and fair to both parties to be truly “free”. When reciprocal in nature, as between Western democracies, I am all for free trade.

:thumbsup: I may not be British but I totally agree with this.
And I see no problem whatever in either Obama or Clinton recommending Britain stays in the EU. As world leaders (or potentially so) they should have an opinion on this.

New Zealand suffered when Great Britain initially joined the EU and we had to find new trading partners, but that has been good for us ultimately. All for free trade here, too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don’t know what Britain’s alternatives are if it no longer has the trading preferences which I understand the EU gives. For whatever reason, some Brits want out of it.

It’s at least mildly amusing to recall Obama making a great fuss over Netanyahu meeting with U.S. congress.

The young are generally in favour of EU membership - by young I mean 18-35. People with university degrees generally support membership.

The older crowd are a lot more suspicious and those without degrees. I’m not 100% sure why but for the elderly I think its a case of many of them having been brought up in an era when “empire” still existed, even though it was falling apart.

Their grandparents when young would have been Victorians or Edwardians. Memories have passed down of a time when Britain dwelt “in splendid isolation” from the continent, commanded the oceans and didn’t need to pool any of its sovereignty away to foreign institutions for access to a lucrative market in continental Europe. Note that Britain only finally surrendered Hong Kong, with its six million or so people, to China in 1997. The handover ceremony that year is considered to be the de facto end of the disintegrating British Empire.

For people of a certain mindset, that’s an attractive image.

For the younger, generally better educated generations, we generally accept that Britain is an island of only 65 million people that relies on access to the single market of 500 consumers on its doorstep. We recognise that the country cannot go it alone and that 70 years of European integration and peace cannot be allowed to unravel.

Many of us have travelled widely on the continent, making use of our free movement rights as EU citizens - for instance through the Erasmus program.

Nostalgic allusions to the “empire days of old” hold little meaning for us. Britain is no match for the U.S., China or rising powers on its own. We are better as part of an economy of 500 million souls.

But for those who hold onto the past, some people still cannot stomach the idea that Britain has gone from global hegemon to a “mere” member state of a European Union, even if it is set to become perhaps the most populous and economically productive member state by 2040.

I’m not a big fan of the EU, for multiple reasons, but I agree with you. Both Clinton (as a private citizen with some small experience in foreign affairs) and Obama (in his official position as U.S. head of state) have the right to express their opinions recommending that the UK stay in the EU.

(And, conversely, both British Prime Minister Cameron and the British people also have the right to tell Obama and Clinton to hang their opinions on their respective beaks :stuck_out_tongue: )

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.