Hindu Ceremony

Hi
So I have a serious question (It may sound stupid but please try answering anyways)
So my parents are Hindu and so am I (officially only.) But for the last 2-3 years I have been finding a lot about Christianity and have decided to convert when I turn 18 in December.
Now as you may know, Hindus have many gods who don’t make a lot of sense.

Anyway, at the end of this month, there is a big festival for a god called Ganesha, who had an elephant head stitched to him after his own was cut off. For ten days (minimum 1 day, maximum 10) families bring idols into their homes and worship it for that many days after which they immerse it in water.

Now I was okay with this for these many years but now that I know what idolatry is and how it is wrong I have no wish to continue this anymore. Needless to say, when I told my mother this, it didn’t end that well and I was forced to nod my head in acceptance just to make her stop shouting and let me sleep.

My grandmother’s cousin who lives in small town 2 hours from the city arranges this ceremony every year and about the whole family (about 25) go every year for it. We weren’t going to go this year because my mom thought it’d be too hectic but those people said since it is our last year in the city, we should go. In their words " We’re 80 years old now, who knows if we’ll be around in another year or two when you come back." So my mom agreed and when she asked me and after a bit of reluctance, I was forced to agree.

What was I supposed to do? I sure as hell don’t want to go and join in when I clearly know it’s wrong. What’s more, they’ll probably ask me to do the whole thing (and there’s no way I’m sitting there without a shirt in front of 25 people!) What should I say to my mom on that day? Do I tell her I’m sick? That would be breaking yet another commandment about lying. If I downright refuse to go, the others will start asking questions and I don’t want to say that I believe in Jesus in front of them all. (Trust me, I told my mother and I felt so awkward the next day.)

You can go to honor/visit your family. I would find whatever is the quietest way to decline to participate in the actual pagan worship ceremony. You don’t have to tell your family about your intention to convert at this time.

I can’t claim this with certainty, and hopefully someone will clarify this, but I don’t think you would be committing a mortal sin by participating. You are a minor and your parents are forcing you to do it. God knows what’s in your heart and knows your circumstances. If you do end up going through with it, just keep praying during the ceremony, and offer your discomfort to Jesus.

This seems reasonable.

Before you convert, I advise you to learn to pray the rosary. This can be prayed in secret and only requires 20min.

:thumbsup:

I’ll pray for you and I wish you peace on your journey to Christ.

It is OK to change your religion if it does not make sense to you. But you should not dismiss it saying it does not make sense, without some attempt to study and understand.

A religion does not last for literally thousands of years with a billion followers if it does not make any sense. A billion people are not all naive and stupid.

If you are really interested in knowing where the Hindu Gods come from, you can read this webpage - thehindugods.com . Also if you are interested in reading a comparison between Christianity and Hinduism, you can go to hinduismexposed.org/

In any case, best of luck with your quandary about the Ganesh festival

There is no sin in passively attending a non-Christian worship service occasionally. Actively participating in overt worship should be avoided, however.

Continued respect for your parent’s beliefs is a a must, even though their beliefs are incorrect in light of the Gospel.

I had always thought the hindu gods were personifications of higher principles. Do all hindus believe the myths? I don’t hink so. But they can still see value in the rituals.

The elephant head is symbolic of wisdom and knowledge. We as Catholics also value wisdom and knowledge. I am reminded of the O antiphon:

*O Wisdom, you came forth from the mouth of the Most High and, reaching from beginning to end, you ordered all things mightily and sweetly. Come, and teach us the way of prudence. *

Can Ganesha be a prototype of Christ?

rc.net/wcc/antiph17.htm

Tough situation. Is there a local priest you can ask for advice?

If there is not priest available to you locally send a private message to Fr. Vincent Serpa on these forums. The easiest way I can tell you how to find him is to go to ‘Home’ then ‘Ask an Apologist Forum’ (should be at the top) scroll through the questions looking at the names of the apologists on the right side of your screen until you see Fr. Serpa’s name, click his name then click ‘send private message’ just tell him the same thing you told us and ask him what to do.

May God Bless you

And if avoiding overt worship leads to her parents yelling at her or disciplining her in other ways, as implied by the OP, what can be done? Very tough situation. The OP should speak to a priest, if not in person, at least online.

Where are you located? We have native Christians of India, first converted by St. Thomas the Apostles, now located all over India, and most of the MidEast and Europe/North America. I can connect you with a priest for advice if you like.

I, too am a st.thomas christian. I am new to the forums. This is my first post.

I dont know how to start a thread or reply exept by quoting. I read faq but it didn’t help.:confused::shrug:

When you go to “Non-Catholic Religions” you will see “New Thread” in the top right hand corner of the page. Just click on that and you can start a new thread.

When you are quoting another poster, just place

at the beginning and

at the end of whatever you are quoting.

Welcome to CAF!

Steve

To post a reply hit the “Post Reply” button at the bottom of the thread.

To start a thread, go to “Home”, select the topic you want, “Ask an Apologist”, Traditional Catholicism", “Orthodox Religions”, etc. Hit the “New Thread” button at the top and post your new thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.