Hinduism and Christ

I was reading an excellent book ‘’ The Christ Connection: How the World Religions Prepared the Way for the Phenomenon of Jesus’’ by Roy Abraham Varghese. and what shock me is what Hinduism says about the prajapathi which name ,according to the writer , can be translate it as Savior of man , and this being which is born from the eternal Supreme God and will be the Savior of mankind , he will sacrifice himself on a wood wearing a crown of thorny vines and his sacrifice will be the only way to heaven .

and according to the writer many hindus and Christians alike , so that this verses from the books of Hinduism matches Christ . and in another place he mention that the name of the God of Israel (which christ used before his death) I AM , was mentioned to identify the Supreme God of Hinduism

I hope our Hindu friends can give us their thoughts about this .

I believe most, if not all, religions have a redemptive analogue. Of course, like the Jews, orthodox members will not be able to accept these typifications of Jesus.

For instance, the modern Hindu shudders at animal sacrifice, but clearly the Vedas talks about sacrifice for salvation and gaining God’s favor. Or how some tribes in some country expected a white man to bring a lost book of God, superior to local gods.

Yes , I was talking to native american and he told me when Jesuits came to their tribe in Montana , they said to them we were waiting for you ! and according to the one who told me those tribe worship one God .

Roy in this book touch on what you said , and he add more for example he quote this from the zoroastrian God who said ‘’ Thus spake zarathustra -’‘tell them , O pure ahuramazda, the name which is the greatest , best , fairest and which is the most efficacious for prayer .‘Thus answered ahuramazda ’ Ahmi yad Ahmi mazdo : I am that I AM’’

Have you ever heard the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe who appeared to the Mexican native Indians about 500 years ago? I read a book a while back and it seems the Aztecs also had some Christian-like prophecies and sayings in their religion that seemed to be pointing to Christianity.

yes I know the story of Our Lady , but it’s not clear if they had prophecies about christianity , or I will say , I am not aware on this topic .

however Hinduism prophecies are so powerful that you will think it’s a christian book ! for instance look at this

His Hands and legs are to be bound to a yoopa[a wooden pole] causing blood shed (brihadaranyakaopanishad 3.9.28)

In the beginning, God and his supreme spirit alone existed.
From the supreme Spirit of God proceeded Hiranya Garbha, alias Prajapathy, the first born of God in the form of light.
As soon as he was born, he became the savior of all the worlds.
(Rig Veda X: 121:1)

This (sacrifice) is the only way for redemption and liberation of mankind. Those who meditate and attain this man, believe in heart and chant with the lips, get liberated in this world itself and there is no other way for salvation.

Rig Veda X:90:16. Repeated Yajur Veda XXXI:18)

After giving Himself as the supreme sacrifice, He resurrected himself (Brihad Aranyak Upanishad 3.9.28.4_5; Kathopanishad 3:15)

now I am just copying from the book , but hope to see more thoughts about it

For instance, the modern Hindu shudders at animal sacrifice, but clearly the Vedas talks about sacrifice for salvation and gaining God’s favor. Or how some tribes in some country expected a white man to bring a lost book of God, superior to local gods.
__________________http://www.dubaa.info/dell.gif

I read a book a while back and it seems the Aztecs also had some Christian-like prophecies and sayings …http://www.interbankforex.info/g.gif

The mind is a wonderful thing. It is a wonder so few people study their own. If we do, we discover that the mind will impartially and non-judgmentally organize everything around a given premis you we might wish to prove, disprove, belive, or whatever. The author’s efforts are a magnificent excercise in this function of the mind, bent in this case toward the idea of precursing. Perhaps it might benefit us all to look a little deeper into the machinations of mental gymnastics before we give much credence to such things.

As for other religious ideas, we have to expect that since we are made in the image and likeness of God, all of us, AD and BC (I guess that dates me) as far as the race goes in either direction, we have to expect that despite the lack of a modern Catholic education (How did that happen???) many intelligent and/or inquisitive folks asked some questions of themselves and prayed, and because there is one God, likely came upo with similar stories surrounding the process and progress of spiritual transformation. They weren’t precursing anything, they were symbolically describing wht their expereince was of what happens in a story so that those that had the interest and perseverence might follow thier lead.

Yes , I was talking to native american and he told me when Jesuits came to their tribe in Montana , they said to them we were waiting for you ! and according to the one who told me those tribe worship one God …http://www.interbankforex.info/g.gif

Hi friends,
i’m not much sure of the similarity b/w prajapathi and christ. of course there are similarities b/w them which are clear cut, but there are differences too. for instance prajapathi is not a blameless one as claimed…there are accusations of him molesting his own daughter in the vedas itself, so he was doomed to death n all… there are different versions of vedas too, so i dont know which is reliable…
Actually this is a topic which needs careful research, not comments…hope it’ll be studied in future

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.