Hinduism: Is Brahma the same as Allah and Yaweh?

Do Hindus worship Brahma as the Old Testament God of Judaism, Islam and Christianity as the one supreme god?

Or do Hindus consider Brahama to be different than them?

I don’t think that Hindus consider Brahma to be the same God as the Christian God. But it’s interesting how out of their many gods they place the most emphasis on three of them.

In Hinduism there is a huge difference between Brahma and Brahman.

Brahma (the Creator) is in a trinity with Vishnu (the Sustainer) and Shiva (the Destroyer).

Brahman is above/beyond/includes all three and is unknowable, ineffable and indescribable. The parable of the blind men and the elephant applies to Brahman.

The Christian God has aspects of both.

rossum

No. First I would say that Brahma has a more limited scope then the Jewish or Islamic understanding of God. Second, if I remember what one of my friends from India once told me is that there are only a small handful of temples to Brahma (like 2 or 3) and very little worship is given to Brahma. The vast majority of worship is directed towards aspects/incarnations of Vishnu.

Or Shiva. It depends where you are in India.

True. I was thinking of the whole, but Shivaism is certainly much more prevalent then worship of Brahma.

Or Kali or Durga. Hinduism has goddesses as well as gods.

rossum

Does any one particular expression of Hinduism embrace a God which is not this world, who does not change, who is eternal, who is not the universe, who is personal and whom acts in creation? If all of these conditions are met, then the answer is a solid maybe, but in my mind it is most likely a no as it is with the case of Allah.

Hindus do not relate Brahma to the Judeo-Christian-Islamic views of God. There are various strains of Hinduism, some closer to the Christian Trinitarian view, many not this way. There is no one ‘path’ according to Hinduism, so beliefs, practices, rituals and individual meanings vary to overwhelming degree.

It is possible to “interpret” Hindu text in a Christian context, but that is basically a Christian or neo-Christian seeing what they wish in the text, and not particularly how the texts have been interpreted traditionally nor by the vast majority.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.