Hindus?

Hello.

Are there any Hindus here?

Let me be a bit less cryptic. I’m interested in learning more about Hinduism and would be appreciative to any Hindu here who could recommend a good introductory book

thanks

Define “Hindu”.

One who beleives in the Hindu religion?

I believe in the Hindu religion. That is, I believe the Hindu religion is of divine origin, as is Christianity.

Could you be a bit more clear?

Hinduism is a rare bird in the league of world religions, Postmodern.

I suggest reading Huston Smith’s classic The World’s Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions (also published under the title The Religions of Man); it begins with a fascinating and engaging chapter on Hinduism.

I believe in the Hindu religion. That is, I believe the Hindu religion is of divine origin, as is Christianity.

So you believe that there is both One God, and many gods, and you believe this exists simultaneously, right?

i believe in Hinduism. i suggest to read the book geetha.

asha

hindu religion is a divine origin
www.orkut.com

If you want to learn about hinduism, a hindu forum where hindu’s gather to communicate about their faith would be a good setting to learn about hinduism.
Just like if someone wanted to learn about catholicism would it be wise to ask about a good book about the catholic faith on a muslim forum?
The only information you will get here is catholic opinions about hinduism which can be very accurate and wise through to misleading and wrong.
I would suggest you ask questions about hinduism at a hindu forum as thats where you will get the most accurate information and best referals
:slight_smile:

If you ask 10 Hindus this question: How many gods are there in Hinduism? --> You will very likely get 10 different answers.

And so, if anyone wishes to visit a Hindu forum in order to learn about Hinduism, I would say good luck to them.

Plus, it may be easier to learn a little about hinduism from someone who is Western as well or may have been a Christian first.

Be very careful delving into Hinduism. It is not 100$ compatible with Christian faith.

Hinduism isn’t really one religion, it is a catch all term for the traditional ritual and belief of some of the indiginous people of the Indian subcontinent. Hamba2han is right. Hinduism differs from place to place, and the Hinduism you might find in remote parts of Indonesia will be markedly different from the Hinduism you might find in Punjab, likewise the Hinduism in Gujurat and the Hinduism practiced in Tamil Nadu will be different. Then there are the Hare Krishnas.

Good luck with it. Only thing I can suggest is read books, the internet is not always reliable.

I’m not interested in “delving” into Hinduism, just learning the basics:)

There is one of those “Hinduism for Dummies” books at the bookstore that I read a few months ago. It covered the basics as well as the more advanced things.

The wikipedia sites are pretty good, according to Hindus that I have spoken to.

Depending on who you ask, Hinduism is polytheistic, Henotheistic, or monotheistic. Hamba was dead on when he said that you can ask ten people and get ten answers.

“Hinduism” is a family of faiths. “Hinduism” is comparable to the word “Abrahamic” (which covers the family of faiths from Judaism to Christianity to Islam to Baha’i and beyond).

A good online source is the Himalayan Academy’s What Is Hinduism?

Correct. There is One God, and many gods.

My head hurts.

Are you talking about One with totally different aspects or are you talking about henotheism or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post

So you believe that there is both One God, and many gods, and you believe this exists simultaneously, right?
Correct. There is One God, and many gods.**

In other words, Jesus is a liar.

geeta is a very good book.i also suggest this book.and with it this thread poster can read 4 vedas.specially Rigveda.both geeta and Rigveda are nice book.geeta for hindu philosophy&Rigveda for pray.though vedic philosophy based on vedas(mantra),upanishad&geeta.now one off topic question to hindu friends.I read Rig Veda.but the chief Gods(not gods;in veda al r God)of veda became demi god in puranas!!like Indra,Agni,vayu etc.why can you answer me?

actually ralph,hindus believes many gods as different aspects of 1 true God “param brahmn”.but God’s chief 3 aspects are brahma(creation power),Vishnu(saviour)&shiva(destruction power).but they believe them(all aspects)as one God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.