Hindustani Classical Music

This maybe a stupid or weird question…

…but lately I’ve been getting more and more into Hindustani Classical music, by musicians like Ravi Shankar, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, and Pundit ShivKumar Sharma, etc. I really like this type of music, in addition to Sufi qawwalis, but I find myself increasingly worried that listening to music performed and wholly originated by Hindus and Muslims by not be the best thing to find myself a collector of or “connoiseur” of.

I can’t help but wonder if Jesus and Mary approve of listening to music like this. But I also wonder whether or not my Indo-Asian Christian brothers and sisters listen to this music with no problem and I’m worrying about nothing? :o

What do you think?

In all honesty, I think you’re worrying about nothing to worry about. There are Christians who are classicists professionally, so how is knowing so much about Hindi music any different?

You’re probably right.

Sometimes I work myself into such a frenzy, thinking that listening to the beautiful sounds of another culture or religion is tantamount to listening to something Satanic! :eek: Clearly, it’s not. The essence of this music is God, even if the approach is slightly different as compared to Renaissance sacred music.

Truth, beauty, and goodness come from God, period.

Edwin

I saw Ravi Shankar’s daughter (no, not Nora Jones, but the other one) perform in South Carolina, and Ravi was (surprise!) hiding out in the audience.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.