Hip-Hop Music

Is Anybody on here into Hip-Hop? If not, how come? Just curious to see everybody’s answer.

Sure, I like a good bit of it – like anything else, there’s some good and a lot of bad. Favorites include Public Enemy, Del tha Funky Homosapien (and the Hieroglyphics), NWA, Canibus, and the Wu-Tang Clan.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for Gangsta’s Paradise :o

I don’t like it because I don’t believe that the modern hip hop artests have musical talent. They don’t play instruments and don’t ever use their voice. They just talk through the song. Unlike Tupac or Biggy, their lyrics aren’t even good.

I also think modern hip hop has too much sex and violence. I don’t care if art contains the two in moderation because art should be a reflection of life, but I don’t want their use to be taken to an extreme.

The old school hip hop was better.

Well, I think Gangsta’s Paradise is one of the greatest songs ever.

I like hip-hop becuase of the beat. It is energenitic music to listen to when you are doing housework, exercising etc. It just seems to energize me. My workplace is about 60 or 70 percent African-American as far as the staff and people talk about hip-hop a lot at work and so I got into it.

Sometimes very sexually explicit lyrics bother me but rap does not have to be vulger. I have some Christian and Catholic rap CD’s like Father Stan Fortuna, Righteous B, La Symphony, Mars Ill. And I listen to secular rap too but not if the lyrics are too offensive. I like Will Smith, Nappy Roots, DMX (yeah-not great lyrics), Nelly, 2pac etc.

There is a guy at my work who is an aspiring rapper and I asked him if I could have a copy of his CD. Some people at work have copies but it is not available in stores yet. Anyway, he kinda brushed me off (I guess he thinks I am not cool enough to give a CD too.) Then I found out some of his song titles (extremely, sexually explicit. ) The title of one of his songs is an extremely degrading reference to female anatomy. I cannot print it here. Hearing that kind of embarrassed me becuase I know this guy unlike some song I hear on the radio where I don’t know the artist personally. Does that make any sense?

if you like hip-hop, you should really check out phatmass.com and launch their radio.

They have a whole lot of Catholic hip-hop artists such as Point 5 Covenant, Sammy Blaze, and others.

My youth group LOVES phatmass and Mars Ill and Righteous B.

And I love promoting CAtholic hip-hop artists! :thumbsup:

I cannot stand most hip-hop/rap. Profanity, calling women very degrading, disrespectful things and, having seen some videos, it’s about gold jewelry, cars and scantily clad girls. The males dress in a stereotypical way, as if wearing a military type uniform, complete with gestures and slang.

Whatever hip-hop was meant to be, the hip-hop that gets played is unGodly. If there are Christians who are using it in a different way for God, that’s great, but the most common version turns my stomach. To quote a friend of mine who heard some: “Just don’t play that around my kids,”

God bless,
Ed

I don’t like it, but I think there are at least a few distinct reasons.

First, and simply, I can’t relate to it socially. I am a white female, not urban in sensibility, and I have crossed the great divide in age and just didn’t bring rap with me.:wink: I also have problems with the way it glorifies violence and the degredation of women. It leaves you with the saddest sense that there is little hope for a whole group of people who have bought into both of these ideals. I know that not all rap does this, but the majority of rappers are in this camp, and I don’t think you’re going to find many radio stations that sort it all out according to what is positive and what is negative, what is decent and what is offensive. You’re going to be hearing a lot of horrible stuff just to get the chance to listen to what you really want to. I don’t think that’s acceptable. And society is paying a price for the values that are being fed to each passing generation through this music.

And then there’s spiritually. And for the same reasons above. I don’t want to subject my spirit to this unnecessarily, because it does have it’s affects, even if we don’t want to believe it does. Same with anything we willingly subject ourselves to that is impure, you’re not going to walk away clean.

I used to listen to it more often but now only occasionally as a “guilty pleasure”, but only the more mainstream pop variety, certainly not the more offensive lyrics.

I had some friends at work that were into Hip Hop when I was younger, that influenced me and, at the time I thought it was cool. Back in the 1990’s I used to like MC Hammer when he first came out, also Will Smith, more recently some of Ludacris, Nelly and such.

I’ll have to check out some more of the Christian Rap, that sounds like it would be better.

A few years ago when I was a struggling adolecent, I was in love with the lyrics and poetry of Tupac. His passion was so incredibly human and yet so undeniably true to his feelings. There are some songs of brilliance that described his journey towards finding the God he knew existed. And yet there were others that were complete failures to his soul.
During the 90s and early 2000s i did my best to try and find some good Christian rap but found a lot of wannabes and illproduced works. Now, however, there is a TON of Christian rap that can be comparable to those good soul searching songs produced by the late Tupac Shakur. Artists such as Grits, Tedashi, LeCre, Urban B, and to an extent Shaun Lock and our good old frind from DC talk Toby Mac have produced equal or better music than before. Wish they would have been around when I was a kid :slight_smile:
A god radio station you can hear some of these artisit is web casting at www.way.fm
Check it out

I can’t stand Hiphop. I used to like it when I was younger, but i knew a girl in seventh grade who mentioned the local country station and I got curious about it(never really listened to country) and everytime my favorite hiphop, pop and country station went to commercial(i brought a walkman for the bus ride and study hall, it was allowed if we behaved), i would go to the country station. One mourning I heard a song I really liked, Hillbilly Shoes, and started listening to the station more often and heard more songs I liked, eventally I just got tired of all the other types of music, they had no talent and started listening to country.

I honestly don’t like rap/hip-hop music. If I’m listening to the radio and it comes on, I usually don’t change the channel, but I don’t listen to it on purpose. I think it’s just alot of filthy language, filthy sexual messages, half naked women and sexism. I don’t want to listen to some guy bragging about the size of his manhood, how many “girls” (they don’t use that word obviously) he has, or how many diamonds he’s wearing.

I think there’s only one rap song I can say I love, and that’s Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”. I’m not exactly a fan of his work, but that song was awesome. So was Coolio’s “Gangsta’s Paradise”. And of course, Weird Al’s “Amish Paradise”. Any time Weird Al raps it’s good for me…I guess that would make him my favorite rapper, lol.

I like old school rap music and cannot stand any of the rap artists of today… Even though I grew up for most of my life in the projects I just couldn’t get into the clothing, mentality and slang of it all…

I think if you have a strong sense of who you are and of your roots then you have no need to adopt another culture to replace the one you were born with…

As a kid I use to love to watch Japanase historical dramas about samurai’s and still watch to this day repeats of Abarenbu Shogun:stuck_out_tongue:

But you don’t see me walking around with a samurai sword and living my life by the Bushido code… You can admire a culture without trying to pretend that you are of the culture…

I pretty much stood out in my neighborhood because I chose not to wear, speak and dress like everybody else…

Anyways… that’s my two peseta’s…

God bless

I saw a piece on 60 minutes where one rapper said he wouldn’t report a serial killer to police because of the no snitch attitude. I really think hip hop has a devistating impact on the affrican american community.

Is that (no snitch attitude) representative of all Hip Hop or is just one rapper’s opinion?

It’s representative of a largish fraction of modern mainstream gangsta rap (there’s a lot more to hip-hop than just that). Not ‘all’ by a long shot, but not just one either.

In related news, 50 Cent has promised that if Kanye West’s next album outsells his next album, he’ll retire. Preorders, anyone?

Oh I would go so far as to say the “don’t snitch” attitude does represent 98% of the hip hop community. Look how BET aired a reality show about Lil Kim’s life before she went to jail. The show made her out to be a hero because she would not cooperate with police.

If Hip Hop artists would cooperate with law enforcement, the murders of Tupac and Biggy would probably be solved.

If you did, you’d be wrong :shrug:

Right on Maridath. The essense of Hiphop is based on artistic expression that had its start in the inner city. The marketable artisits that people actually hear about because of modern media (which, as we know has been so wonderfully trustworthy sarcasm) are in that 98% range that matt was referring to. TRUE hiphop artisits, however, are suffering because they don’t want to “sell out” like their "marketable challengers. Case in point; have you ever heard of the following artists: del the funky homosepien, talib kwali, or mos def? These are true hiphop artisits who have only left the underground scene for a few moments and then come back down in hopes not to be look at as a “pop star.” This a a route that 50 cent, Kanye West, and lil kim have not taken. Instead of going back down, they stayed above the scene. It made them rich and extremely popular, but what does it profit these artists to gain the whole world and loose their soul… or in this case, the hiphop that used to be inside of them. For all other questions rent the movie “Brown Sugar,” watch it, and you’ll understand exactly what i mean.

I don’t think it is fair to tar and feather all rap with the gansta brush. It was not the origins of rap and I think that it will fade away eventually. I don’t listen to stations that play that prison lifestyle glorifying mess, but I do listen to hip hop by artists that are clean like Will Smith. He has not done a lot in recent years due to focusing on acting, but I love the fun songs he put into his movies like Men in Black and Wild, Wild West.

I also have Fr. Stan Fortuna who does Catholic rap that really sends a positive message.

Hip-Hop is more than just diamonds and foul language. Ive been into Hip-Hop since I can remember and to be honest with you Hip-Hop was the reason I first picked up a Bible. It may sound sad but before I heard ‘‘G.O.D. (Gaining One’s Definition)’’ by Common I wasn’t really studying the bible as much. I didn’t even own a bible at the time. Just my two cents. Oh and not all Hip-Hop is on that ‘‘Stop Snitching’’ stuff. That rapper that said that, Cam’Ron even admitted that it came out wrong but had no say in it in the end…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.