Historical Evidence of Jesus

Hi,

I’m in a discussion on another forum which started out innocently enough but turned into a debate on whether or not these is historical evidence of Jesus. There are a couple of fellows who won’t accept anything the Church owns as evidence because they claim it has been distorted for the Churches own purpose. I would think there must be archaeological evidence, Jewish records, Roman records, etc. besides church documents. Can anyone point to something?

…well, i don’t believe then that they had great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents… i bet the only record we could find would be in the family section of the family…

http://www.pcusa.org/today/images/cover/0903/bible.jpg

oops, we couldn’t take it on the word of thier parents either… sheese… give me a break… i don’t know, pray to ST Thomas i guess… he got to put his hand in his side… oh sorry, no living eye witness for that either…:cool:

The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus had a lot to say about the historic person Jesus Christ, including:

“About this time lived Jesus, a man full of wisdom, if indeed one may call Him a man. For He was the doer of incredible things, and the teacher of such as gladly received the truth. He thus attracted to Himself many Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ. On the accusation of the leading men of our people, Pilate condemned Him to death upon the cross; nevertheless those who had previously loved Him still remained faithful to Him. For on the third day He again appeared to them living, just as, in addition to a thousand other marvellous things, prophets sent by God had foretold. And to the present day the race of those who call themselves Christians after Him has not ceased.”

newadvent.org/cathen/08522a.htm

[quote=Bokza]Hi,

I’m in a discussion on another forum which started out innocently enough but turned into a debate on whether or not these is historical evidence of Jesus. There are a couple of fellows who won’t accept anything the Church owns as evidence because they claim it has been distorted for the Churches own purpose. I would think there must be archaeological evidence, Jewish records, Roman records, etc. besides church documents. Can anyone point to something?
[/quote]

Hi,

Here is an excellent site for Christian Apologetics.

tektonics.org/

It is a Protestant Ministry, however they are entirely focused on Apologetics to skeptics, atheists, etc…they are NOT anti-Catholic at all. They emphasize strong logical argumentation with plenty of extra-biblical evidences for those who disinclined to take the Bible at its word.

Peace

carm.org/bible/extrabiblical_accounts.htm

Check out this link. I think it will be helpful. Also I recommend 2 books on the topic. “The Historical Jesus” by Dr. Gary Habermas and “The Case for Christ” by Lee Strobel.

Since you’re Catholic, how about some Catholic responses:

newadvent.org/cathen/08375a.htm
peterkreeft.com/topics-more/resurrection-evidence.htm
catholic.com/library/Proving_Inspiration.asp

(It wouldn’t hurt Protestants to read them either)

As recommended by Uranage, also:

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
sounds like exactly what you are looking for! It is amazing! It is accessible, and it is a terrific resource. It is one of my favorite books!

I’ve heard The Historical Jesus by Gary Habermas is also very good.

Cheers.

[quote=space ghost]…well, i don’t believe then that they had great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents… i bet the only record we could find would be in the family section of the family…

pcusa.org/today/images/cover/0903/bible.jpg

oops, we couldn’t take it on the word of thier parents either… sheese… give me a break… i don’t know, pray to ST Thomas i guess… he got to put his hand in his side… oh sorry, no living eye witness for that either…:cool:
[/quote]

Thanks,

But I don’t believe cynicism will be an effective argument against skepticism.

Thanks to all who posted the great references! I’m reading as I can and will post again if I need more assistance.

I’ve never run into anyone who claimed this before - atheists who deny God but not atheists/agnostics who deny Jesus was a real person.

Good stuff, thanks again!

[quote=Bokza]Thanks,

[/quote]

…not cynicism my friend… just tired of the same old (you can’t show me) type arguments… i could give you list of sources that support your view, and they i’m sure could do the same… bottom line, to find Christ and his church you have to be searching… your not going to see something that your not looking for… I haven’t seen anyone prove a negative yet…

…as mentioned above… Thomas had to put his fingers in the nail holes in his hands, and had to put his hand in his side, and he had the credibility of the deciples telling him it was true…

…i wish you luck and peace in your effort…:thumbsup:

[quote=urquhart]The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus had a lot to say about the historic person Jesus Christ, including:

“About this time lived Jesus, a man full of wisdom, if indeed one may call Him a man. For He was the doer of incredible things, and the teacher of such as gladly received the truth. He thus attracted to Himself many Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ. On the accusation of the leading men of our people, Pilate condemned Him to death upon the cross; nevertheless those who had previously loved Him still remained faithful to Him. For on the third day He again appeared to them living, just as, in addition to a thousand other marvellous things, prophets sent by God had foretold. And to the present day the race of those who call themselves Christians after Him has not ceased.”

newadvent.org/cathen/08522a.htm
[/quote]

A quick note on Josephus just so you are aware, there is some debate to the overall section in Book 19 of the Antiquities of the Jews. Jesus was mentioned, but most proof texts circulated today carry a portion that may have been added at a later date. Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=Bokza]Thanks,

[/quote]

Bozka,

I don’t think space ghost is expressing cynicism–although it does certainly come across that way. I believe he is just expressing weariness at the double standard that most people have, that Christians are invariably biased and thus unreliable while non-Christians are objective and their statements can be taken at face value. I feel much the same weariness.

• Liberian

[quote=Bokza]Hi,

[/quote]

The Bible is the best resource. Even secular historians recognize its validity at least to some degree. The Bible was written very close to the events it describes and the earliest records we have are dated closer to the time of the events than any other historical document.

Jesus is better attested historically than the Roman emperors who persecuted Christians, and most other figures of antiquity. Sometimes it seems skepticism is just a mask for ahistorical know-nothingism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.