Historical Pro Christian-Movies?

First off, I’d want to thank everyone who gave out their suggestions on the last movie thread I made. My family and I watched “Karol: A man who became pope” and we LOVED it. My dad isn’t that interested in religion yet he watched this movie start to finish. It was 3 hours well spent! Tonight, I plan to get its sequel: “Karol, the pope, the man” and I can only hope it matches its predecessor in terms of quality.

Anyway, can you guys suggest other historically accurate christian movies? I’ve been looking at Augustine: The decline of the Roman empire but I don’t know if it’s good or not. It’s a shame that there are a lot of well produced/high budget films out there that support the Anti-Christian movement such as: Agora, Besson’s Joan of Arc and the Kingdom.

Are there any good movies out there on the rise of Christianity, the persecutions under the roman empire, Constantine, etc?

Also, any thoughts on this bible based move: “One night with the king”?

Quo Vadis.

There is also a recent remake of that film too.

Years ago, I saw a movie called “A.D.”
“A Special Edition 6-hour, 2-disc DVD Set covering the years following the resurrection of Christ, through A.D. 70. Witness the trials and triumphs of the early church from the book of Acts! An outstanding film - picking up where The Passion of the Christ leaves off!”

christiancinema.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=740

In addition to the previously mentioned “Quo Vadis” and “A.D.”, there are the dramas “The Robe”, “Ben Hur”, “Demetrius and the Gladiators”, Cecil B. DeMille’s 1932 “The Sign of the Cross” (Nero’s persecution of the early Christians).

For your dad, I’d recommend “Peter and Paul”, (based on the Book of Acts) with Anthony Hopkins a standout as St. Paul, about the evangelization of the early Church.

For later Christian history:

Check out the 1955 film “The Prisoner”, starring Alec Guinness. He plays a cardinal (based obviously on Cardinal Mindszenty, who was arrested and confined for his faith by the communist regime in Hungary) interrogated by a party official with whom he had previously resisted the Nazis. Guinness (who converted to Catholicism) gave an amazing performance, as did the rest of the cast.

Also “The Mission”, “A Man For All Seasons”, “There Be Dragons”, “The Ninth Day”, “Edith Stein: The Seventh Chamber”, and “The Scarlet and the Black”.

There is a good film with a pro-Christian message made in 1990 by Jan Kolski called “Funeral of the Potato”.
It’s an art film, sadly not available in English, set in 1946. The last scene is especially touching, for me at least, although the entire film is a masterpiece. The main character, called Matthew, an old saddler, a simple yet wise country person who recently returned from a concentration camp and who recently lost his son and discovered how unjustly his son died, meets a little Jewish boy in the forest. The little boy is burying potatoes next to a bonfire and naming his parents and little brother who were killed in the Holocaust. Matthew asks the boy who he belongs to. The boy tells him that his parents were killed and so he is no-one’s.
Matthew replies: “You should not say that, son. People who are no-one’s, who are truly no-ones don’t really exist. Look at me for example. I am Matthew. I was born here. I lived here. Here, I will certainly die. I know people and people know me. You see son, I’m old and I have my place. And that place is marked by the trees, the birds which sing and the seasons which are never quite the same. You know, the rain, the wind and the One who directs it all, and looks down on us from above.”
Little boy: “Who looks down?”
Matthew: “God, son. The Lord looks upon us and always has His eyes wide open, so as not to miss anything.” The last scene has an image of a dove flying off a little chapel where a statue of Mary stood (having been taken down by Communists earlier in the film).

Anyway just my 5c. Not every Christian film needs to be about Biblical or Church figures. Sometimes a film about faith, truth, the conscience or justice especially when God and faith are shown favorably in contrast to betrayal and greed of the fallen world is more meaningful I think.

“Constantine and the Cross” was pretty good, as long as you don’t mind Constantine with a Brooklyn accent. Another is “A Man for All Seasons” about St. Thomas More and “Becket” about St. Thomas Becket.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.