Historical search

I was watching this show on abc (australia). It was a series on the rise and fall (mainly looking at the reasons for their decline)l of empires throughout time.
While i was watching the episode about the fall of rome, they were looking at thing from lead contination from their lead pipes to becoming to soft from the easy life. In one part they looked at the christians and if they had any part in its decline. Anyway they were talking about how christians had to pratice their faith in the catacombs of rome, And how because of their secretcy and how they met in the catacombs of rome many “stories” started to rise. one was by a historian (pagan) who said that . ( this isn’t a excat qoute as i was only paying part attention to the show) he said “that they met in catacombs and they drown their babies in water and call it a christening and they eat the flesh and drink the blood of the dead and claim it as thier God”. Now he wrote this very early in the history of christianity. i think the presenter said around ten years after the death of christ. It was stated by the shows presenter that this was a propaganda attack on early christians and thats its a very clear reference to infant christening and the taking of communion. now my questions are
! .who was this historian?
2.can the date be correct? as it seems very early.
I would just like to add that this show was non religous history show. aired by a very leftist secular t.v station So i know it wasn’t produced by some christian looney who likes to dramatize history to build up some false sence of security in their faith.
I would be very grateful for any help in this matter.

I sounds like this may refer to the pagan rumors mentioned in Chapter IX of Minucius Felix’s Octavius, believed to have been written between A.D. 218 and 235, here.

MisterX I wouldn’t be so quick to call the ABC leftist… Remember that it is owned by the Australian government and so they could have some kind of influence… Just to add a conspiracy theory into the mix :stuck_out_tongue:

Atreyu wrote:

MisterX I wouldn’t be so quick to call the ABC leftist… Remember that it is owned by the Australian government and so they could have some kind of influence… Just to add a conspiracy theory into the mix

Yebbut - approx. 70% of Australians didn’t want the rest of Telstra to be sold; and ALL of the State Governments are ALP, so…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.