History lessons

On another forum that I visit, the subject of ‘once saved always saved’ came up. (Please don’t groan - I am sure that it is a much visited subject here. :blush: ) Actually, to be more specific, the history of osas came into dispute.

To keep it brief, I said that osas was not taught by the universal church at all before Calvin - from the admittedly little reading I have done on it so far, that seems to be the case. I am pretty certain I am right about that, although one or two other posters have accused me of illiteracy and ignorance for saying so.

Are there any books/on line articles that anyone here would recommend re the history of osas?

:slight_smile:

OSAS has its roots even further than the Reformation. Many early Christians were being deceived by false prophets and teachers. Paul reminds the flock that we are not saved but are being saved. Some Christians had begun to believe they were already saved by baptism and so did not need to do works nor obey laws. The problems which the Church faces today, she faces in every generation, since the very beginning; there is nothing new under the sun.

Calvin did not teach once saved always saved. He taught perseverance of the saints which is somewhat different.

Once saved always saved is the view that once someone has believed they are saved and cannot fall.

Perseverance of the saints is closely related to, and is the consequence of, his notion of predestination. The elect are those who have been predestined for salvation for no reason other than God’s eternal and immutable purpose and good will. It is only the elect who will ultimately persevere to the end. They may falter but they cannot totally or finally fall from grace. This follows from the idea that God has selected who will be saved. Since God has selected them, they cannot ultimately fall. Others may appear to respond to the gospel and believe, but they have never were truly saved.

Calvin was greatly influenced by Augustine. You may wish to read Augustine’s treatises on Predestination of the Saints and The Gift of Perseverance. They can be found at:

ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf105.xxi.ii.i.html

and

ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf105.xxi.iii.ii.html

As Augustine points out, no one can know that they have been predestined until they have actually persevered to the end. The doctrine therefore has little real usefulness.

Hi

Paul reminds the flock that we are not saved but are being saved. Some Christians had begun to believe they were already saved by baptism and so did not need to do works nor obey laws.

You know the more I read, the more I realize that your observation that there is nothing new under the sun is entirely true Eucharisted - some of these discussions and disagreements are really very old indeed. (Not us of course - we are getting younger every day! :aok: )

I realize I am not a trained theologian or anything, but there does seem virtually no difference to speak of between:

It is only the elect who will ultimately persevere to the end. They may falter but they cannot totally or finally fall from grace.

and

Once saved always saved is the view that once someone has believed they are saved and cannot fall

But thank you for those links SyCarl - I shall bookmark that site for future use. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.