History of Rosary

Hi, everyone.

I was wondering if you all could give me a concise history of the rosary. I know it’s an important component of your prayer life.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains!

Rita

How far back do you want to go? A Hindu/Buddhist Mala, the equivalent of a rosary, has 108 beads. A rosary is approximately a half-mala.

There are known Hindu and Buddhist influences in Christian, and pre-Christian, Alexandria.

I would not be at all surprised if the use of the Christian rosary started in Alexandria or in Egypt generally.

$0.02

rossum

I’m mostly interested in its use in the Catholic tradition.

Thanks!

newadvent.org/cathen/13184b.htm

This gives a good account of the evolution of the Rosary. I will never see my Cribbage board the same. :smiley:

Peace!!!

Sorry! I’m still learning how to do the quoting! Thanks for the link!

The NewAdvent site gives many great details about the history of the Rosary.

I would like to add that today, October 7, is a memorial day of Our Lady of the Rosary on the calendar of the Catholic Church.

That title was given to her due to the victory of the Lepanto battle against the Muslims because the Rosary was fervently prayed.

maryvictrix.com/the-spirit-of-lepanto/

I would like to add that the meditation on the mysteries of the Rosary on the life of our Lord Jesus Christ is essential. You can easily do a search for that to see what they are.

The recitation of the Our Father and the ten Hail Mary prayers on each decade is the background “music” to the focus of meditating on our Lord’s life.

The Rosary, if the pray-er cooperates with the Holy Spirit, has the capacity to bring a person to the heights of fruitful prayer.

Thanks for asking about the Rosary! Ask more questions if you wish.

Thank you, Dorothy.

ourladyswarriors.org/prayer/15promise.htm

Some of this falls under the concept of “pious legend” :slight_smile:

Here is another excellent history lesson on the Rosary.

erosary.com/rosary/about/history.htm

Lots of great links to study. Thanks for your help!

Here is a PDF that explain a lot about the structure of the Rosary. Hope this helps

I’m a member of the The Rosary Confraternity, they send a letter every now and then with prayer intentions and provide a card you can fill out to request prayers as well.

St. Padre Pio used to refer to the Rosary as: “My weapon”.

My absolute favorite way of praying the Rosary is with Scriptures. This book, based on St. John Paul II rosary prayer meditation is fantastic!

Rosary of Praise: A Scriptural Rosary Based on John Paul II’s Rosary Meditation.

It takes longer to do it this way, but I love it! After each rosary prayer you do a short scripture reading/meditation.

I’ll be honest, I struggle with the Salve Regina :o So I normally end it with the Jesus Prayer.

I’ll be honest, I struggle with the Salve Regina :o So I normally end it with the Jesus Prayer.

I’m being lazy and not googling this but what is the “Salve Regina?”

I think if I were to convert to Catholicism I would be spending the rest of my life understanding all these terms!

Salve Regina

:tsktsk::smiley:

Did you know that “The Book of Concord” has more pages than the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

:p:)

I’m being lazy and not googling this but what is the “Salve Regina?”

I think if I were to convert to Catholicism I would be spending the rest of my life understanding all these terms!

I have been a Catholic for my 78 years and I do not know too much about Latin. I do know the “Hail Holy Queen” prayer. :slight_smile: (Salve Regina).

Thanks again, Dorothy!

Here is a chanted version at Notre Dame, paris:

youtube.com/watch?v=HTiM-khUePY

Bigger and better. :smiley:

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.