History of the dogma and doctrine of the church

I am reading pelikans magnum opus on the history of catholic doctrine. Are there any catholic authors that also traced the history of catholic doctrine?

What about something like Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott? It shows the history of each dogma through the ages.

You can add to Ott’s:

Sources of Catholic Dogma (Denzinger)

Faith of the Early Fathers (Jurgens)

to deny that doctrine developed over the early centuries is a foolish position to take. Will read some of thses books.

If the term"developed" is correctly interpreted from historical recordings to be? When the Church in her infancy matures in greater understandings of the teachings and revelations of Jesus Christ from the FULL deposit of faith handed down from the original Apostles unchanged.

The Church during difficult ages including suffering under persecution, She defends and protects the Apostolic Faith from being infected by heretics and heresies.

The Catholic Church defends the unchangeable Apostolic Faith, with new terminologies and greater depth understandings to defend and define the Apostolic Faith for each Christian age to understand the teachings and revelations from Jesus Christ, from their own languages, terminologies and understandings to grasp at the True revelations of Jesus Christ from the full deposit of faith handed down unchanged by the original Apostles.

It is foolish and ignorant for one to believe that the term “developed” when applied to Church dogma and doctrines were invented or changed as if they never existed from the revelations and teachings of Jesus Christ, this type of definition is wrongly interpreted historically.

In essence a doctrine or dogma is never proclaimed, until the Apostolic faith comes under attack by heretics and heresies who try to change the full deposit of faith (revelations, teachings and practices) from Jesus and His Apostles.

That Peter by divine authority exercising his keys in the kingdom of God on earth to bind and loose, Jesus binds and loose from heaven, in order to protect, tend and feed the (flock of Jesus Christ) Christian faithful with the Apostolic full deposit of faith unchanged.

The development of Church dogma and doctrine defends, protects the Christian faith (Sheep and Lambs) from Heretics (wolves). and every wind of doctrine (heresies) from man, who try and change the revelations and teachings of Jesus Christ in every age to the present time, till Jesus returns finding Peter obeying his divine commission from Jesus to feed, tend and love Jesus flock.

Peace be with you

Perhaps instead of using the term ‘development of doctrine’ it would be more helpful to use the expression’deeper understanding of revealed knowledge’?

That is the true meaning and understanding of the Church when she uses the term developed doctrine through Church councils, when she defends the Apostolic faith from heresies and heretics.When man’s understanding and languages change, the Church does not change with them, the Church defines the revelations and teachings of Jesus Christ in the new languages, understandings, terminologies to which man in every age can be given the full deposit of faith from the original Apostles unchanged.

What is interesting to note in addition to the development of Church doctrine proves the Catholic Church gives her witness to her savior Jesus Christ in every age since apostolic times. No other Church present today existed in every age since the resurrection except the Catholic Church, who suffers the persecution and gives witness of Jesus Christ to every age in humanity post Pentecost. No other institution can make such a claim from history except the body of Christ the 2000 years of Catholic witness in the world.

Abucs,
While I can understand where your going with your suggestion I think in his case he wanted to stay within the framework of the church and how it confronted threats from heresies through church councils. Thus the development of catholic doctrine. So far I have learned more from the second reading of it than I learned from the first. I can’t wait to read the other volumes. It’s my understanding that these works help lead him to the Orthodox Church. He apparently felt the need to go from a Lutheran communion to the Orthodox communion. It’s only my opinion but maybe apostolic succession had something to do with it. In either case I like the first book and the early church in general. I’ll definitely look into the other suggestions after I’m done with the current series.

There were 13 apostles, not just Peter.

I was sure the bible records Jesus chose the 12 disciples, 11 apostles received the commission to go out into the world and baptize every nation, people and tongue and only one apostle by the name of Peter received the commission by Jesus after His resurrection, to feed, tend the flock of Jesus, until Jesus returns.

In the book of Acts the eleven chose another to apostolic succeed Judas in order to re-establish the chosen 12 apostles.

St.Stephen a disciple of Jesus is martyred at the witness of Saul of Tarsus, James the Less is beheaded, Saul later is called by Jesus to preach to the Gentiles after Peter is given the vision to allow the Gentiles into the Church (Way). Paul lays hands on Timothy etc, etc…As the Apostolic Church developed the above offices to assist them to serve at the table of the Lord.

Originally Jesus chose the 12 to begin building His Church upon Peter when the Church is in her infancy.

In keeping with the OP, The Church experiences much growth to which the original apostles begin to lay hands on holy men to succeed them in their Episcopal office (overseer)= Apostolic office of Bishop, Deacons, and Priests. These all work in full communion with one another.

Yet it is only Peter whom Jesus singularly gives the keys to the kingdom of heaven to bind and loose on earth while Jesus binds and loose from heaven. The others are given the same keys to exercise at the local level in communion with Peter. It is from this communion the Communion of the Popes and all bishops united as one, that the Church developed her doctrine to bind and loose heretics and heresies from infecting the teachings and revelations of Jesus Christ.

**Today, the Orthodox and Western Bishops maintain their apostolic powers to bind and loose at the local levels of the Church, yet for their powers to bind and loose on the whole earth, (or the whole Catholic Church) requires a communion with Peter’s chair to ratify and subject the binding and loosing to place effect on the whole of Christendom. This is how history records the dogma and doctrines of the Church to develop over the centuries in a nutshell. **

An apostolic successor by himself cannot develop Church doctrine that binds and looses on the whole earth (Church). To bind and loose on the whole earth requires the chair of Peter who alone possesses the keys to bind and loose on earth. That is not a decision of man, that is a direct commission from God Himself recorded in the Gospels.

The Church from her infancy has more than 13 apostles world wide to today.

Peace be with you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.