History of the Mass

I have been learning about the history of the Mass, specifically the Latin Mass and what it has looked like through the centuries. Does any know what the Mass would have looked like in the 600-900's? I'm having a hard time finding out about what a Mass would have looked like during this period. Help would be much appreciated!

I am no expert, but I am aware that we have early missals from about 700 AD. Here is an Irish missal or sacramentary written in Latin and Galic. Beautiful artwork done by the Celtic monks. Uniformity with Rome came later from what I understand, including following one calendar.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowe_Missal

[quote="NorthTexan88, post:1, topic:332290"]
I have been learning about the history of the Mass, specifically the Latin Mass and what it has looked like through the centuries. Does any know what the Mass would have looked like in the 600-900's? I'm having a hard time finding out about what a Mass would have looked like during this period. Help would be much appreciated!

[/quote]

Probably the best work on the subject is Fortescue's, The Mass: A Study in the Roman Liturgy, (Longmans, 1922). Because of its age, it is out of copyright and a full version of it is available online from Google Books. (Link here). If you want a paper copy, you should be able to get it from your local Catholic bookstore or from Amazon.

If you want an idea of where the Latin Mass came from, you'd probably want to concentrate on the Gallican Rite (scan the earlier material and concentrate on that).

Awesome everyone. Thanks for the help

There are many books on development of the Eucharist which will take you through the first very simple Eucharists celebrated by the early Christians to the development of myriad rites in the Western Church prior to (almost) consolidation in the Tridentine Rite. Professor Paul Bradshaw has just released an excellent book "The Eucharistic Liturgies: their evolution and interpretation" published in the US by Liturgical Press Minnesota which I highly recommend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.