Hitler’s Mufti, not Hitler’s Pope

Jimmy Akin put this interesting article on his blog: Hitler’s Mufti, not Hitler’s Pope

Rabbi David G. Dalin writes:

Many readers of the New York Times no doubt believe that Pope Pius XII was “Hitler’s Pope.” John Cornwell’s bestselling book told them that, and it’s been reaffirmed by Garry Wills, Daniel Goldhagen and other writers since. It’s been said so often in fact that most well-read liberals know it for a certainty. The only trouble is: it isn’t true.

Not only does it contradict the words of Holocaust survivors, the founders of Israel, and the contemporary record of the New York Times, but even John Cornwell, the originator of the phrase “Hitler’s pope,” has recanted it saying that he was wrong to have ascribed evil motives to Pius and now found it “impossible to judge” the wartime pope.

But there’s something else that has been ignored nearly all together. Precisely at the moment when Pope Pius XII and the Catholic Church in Rome (and throughout Europe) was saving thousands of Jewish lives, Hitler had a cleric broadcasting from Berlin who called for the extermination of the Jews.

He was Hajj Amin al-Husseini, the viciously anti-Semitic grand mufti of Jerusalem, who resided in Berlin as a welcome guest and ally of the Nazis throughout the years of the Holocaust.

Scott

It was also well known that when Hitler made one of his trips to Rome, both of the Popes (during WW2) took a holiday to Castel Gondalfo (or whatever its called) and also closed the Sistian chapel. Seeing the sistien chapel was one of hitler’s life long dreams. I don’t think either pope could have been called ‘hitler’s pope’ :smiley:

I have seen this before in the book Salvation Is from the Jews: The Role of Judaism in Salvation History by Roy H. Schoeman.

It only shows that Hitler’s even is being felt even today in other places that the Culture of Perversion (as it pertains to abortion, eugenics, and euthanasia).

PF

If you want to read an excellent rebuttal of Cornwell’s book…written by a Jewish Rabbi and Scholar, then check out:

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0895260344/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-0690793-8378228?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0895260344.01-A2R2RITDJNW1Q6.SCLZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you are watching the program on EWTn about Pope Pius XII then you will know the truth about the Pope and Hitler.

Pope Pius XII and the Catholic Church helped the Jews escape the holocausts. It is said that during the holocaust the Summer resthouse of the Pope was used to hide the Jews from the Nazis.

The Head Rabbi in Rome at that time had converted to Catholicism because of Pope Pius XII.

There are some interesting articles on the main site about this:

Book Review of “Hitler’s Pope”

Debunking “Hitler’s Pope”

How Pius XII Protected the Jews

God Bless,
RyanL

Interesting Quotes:

*“I told Pope Pius XII that my first duty was to thank him and, through him, the Catholic Church on behalf of the Jewish public for all they had done in the various countries to rescue Jews. We are deeply grateful to the Catholic Church.” ***- **** Israel’s second prime minister, Moishe Sharat

*** “When fearful martyrdom came to our people in the decade of Nazi terror the voice of the Pope was raised for the victims.”* - **Golda Meir, Israel’s former prime minister and a Jew who lived at the time of the Nazi horrors

**The Israeli consul, Pinchas E. Lapide, in his book, Three Popes and the Jews (New York: Hawthorn Books, Inc., 1967) critically examines Pope Pius XII. According to his research, the Catholic Church under Pius XII was instrumental in saving 860,000 Jews from Nazi death camps (p. 214).

Albert Einstein, in the December 23, 1940 issue of **Time **
magazine on page 38, said:

*Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks…

Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler’s campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly.

*The charity and work of Pope Pius XII during World War II so impressed the Chief Rabbi of Rome, Israel Zolli, that in 1944 he was open to the grace of God which led him into the Catholic faith. As his baptismal name, he took the same one Pius had, Eugenio, as his own. Later Israel Eugenio Zolli wrote a book entitled, Why I Became a Catholic.

God Bless,
RyanL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.