Hoarding food

Is it wrong to save up food to prepare for what may be coming? Even if we’re not in the last days, and I believe we are, the economy in scary right now and I’ve heard there may be shortages coming. I know all this has been said in the past but my question still stands. Is it sinful to put away food?

You’ve heard wrong.

Thats it?
You’ll need to elaborate.

Prove that we are in the last days? You can hoard all you want.

There is no proving it. Jesus said only the Father knows the day and the hour. But let me ask you, has the state mankind ever been this Godless? How much further can it go?

Probably just after the Ascension of Our Lord, when the Romans and Jews were doing their best wipe us all out. In fact there were some who were convinced that the Lord would return almost right away.

Just something to be aware of…

Are you talking about hoarding, or are you talking about being provident??
I stock up on all the essentials every fall…and boy!! Am I glad right now!! We are in the middle of a terrible winter storm, and I have the freezers & the pantry shelves full, there is cat litter & paper products stowed on my enclosed porch…
Now, if that is what you mean…Having things on hand, to be sure you have all you need, in case of emergencies, I think that is a good idea. (Especially with a family. I mean, kids scrape their knees, they get the collywobbles, all kinds of things that need a full first aid kit).

But if you mean, trusting in your own feeling, or some other person’s teaching, that the world is about to end, instead of trusting in the Lord…
I would say that that shows a lack of confidence in the One Whose" Eye is on the sparrow; and I know He watches me"…and that is just really sad…
How about stocking up on prayer?? That never fails…regardless of the days in which we live!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I mean no disrespect but are you:

1. Young?
  2. A relatively new Christian?

Fixation upon end-times scenarios are common among new believers.

Just curious.

(Mat 6:25-27)"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat (or drink), or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?

(Mat 6:31-34) So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’ All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil.

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

I have no idea if we are in the end times or not. There is no possible way of knowing.

However, living in the upper midwest as you do, I believe that it is prudent to have a pantry and/or freezer to store some food away for snow storms.

No I am not a new christian. Born and raised catholic and I am far from young. Just looking at the dollar, the border, bio-foods and the disaster that may turn out to be and the fact that our own gov. wants to sell us down the river with this sea treaty. the times are getting scarier all the time and i was thinking about putting away for a rainy year or two. just didnt want to hoard when the food shelves are also trying to feed the less fortunate. seem every time i post a thread i get some of the most unwanted feedback. all i am looking for is an opinion on THIS topic. NOT someone thinking they are reading between non-existent lines.
My ONLY question is, is hoarding of this sort sinful? Thats it. Dont read into it cause its all i’m asking.

While I do not think we are in end times, I do not think “hoarding” food is sinful as long as you are taking only what you think you will need. You are being a good planner if something were to happen.

I will say this though, as others here have. Dont worry about it. Save what you think you should, but remember that god provides and looks after us.

Putting away extra food to meet your needs in case of an emergency is ok. That is not hoarding food. Hoarding food implies putting away an excessive amount of food, more than you will need, with no thought of the needs of others. Most people who hoard things don’t share them, even if others are in need. So if one does this, and is selfish about things, then that is sinful.

You’re talking about saving or stocking/reserving. That’s simply preparation for possible shortages (which, as another poster indicated, is not likely) and you’re merely covering your needs for the future. There is no moral problem there.

Hoarding is keeping away stuff in excess of your immediate need with the intention of waiting for price increases before disposing of them. While this can be a legitimate business practice (after all, companies control their inventory in response to the market), if it is to take advantage of the basic needs of others and exploit them, therein lies the sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.