Hoax on Vermont National Guard Families Investigated by Attorney General

ABC News:

Hoax on Vermont National Guard Families Investigated by Attorney General

The late-night phone calls were wrenching for the Vermont families of soldiers serving in Afghanistan – a stranger expressing sympathy for a son or daughter who had been injured or killed in Afghanistan.
But the tormenting calls were ghoulish hoaxes and state attorney general is looking for whoever is behind them.

“My first thought was, ‘How sick,’” Vermont Attorney General William Sorrell said.
Sorrell said he has been in contact with the U.S. Attorney’s Office since making such hoax calls during a time of war is a federal felony.
National Guard Lt. Col. Lloyd Goodrow questioned why anyone would pull such a cruel prank on military families already enduring the agony of having a soldier overseas.
“All our families, it’s a roller coaster ride,” Goodrow said. “Somebody does something like this, it just makes it worse.”

“The fact that they have the contact information for these families indicates to me someone who is close enough to the situation to have some personal information,” he said. "Predict at your peril, but my guess is it’s someone with a local connection."
The calls came in last week, all from either a woman or “someone trying to sound like a woman,” Goodrow said. Three prank calls have been officially confirmed, but Goodrow said he’s heard there were as many as nine.

“The calls were made, starting about 10 o’ clock in the night,” he said. “It was very compassioned, 'Hey sorry to hear your husband was wounded in Afghanistan. Is there something I can do to help?”

Whoever is doing this is truly evil. I hope whatever law is on the books will put him in Leavenworth for a long time.

This is so horrible! What would compel a person to do something so awful?:(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.