Holding Affection for Sin?

Hello! I know this isn’t the best forum for this, but it seemed the most suitable.

I was reading in my religion textbook, and it says, “But we must remember that it (referring to Holy Eucharist) remits those venial sins only for which we no longer retain an affection.”

What does it mean to retain an affection for sin? Does it mean to be truly sorry for it, or to still have an urge to commit it?

Thank you for your time!

• Stephie

I assume it is what I have more commonly heard referred to as attachment to sin. Basically it is when you still have fond feelings for the sin and perhaps still give your past engagement in it a degree of consent. This would probably involve sins that were part of enjoyable experiences or which helped you or your loved ones avoid suffering, so that you now have trouble authentically regretting that it happened.

This is my problem. I have a difficult time being truly sorry for my sins. I enjoy sinning most of the time…oops I didn’t mean I sin most of the time… I just meant that when I do sin chances are I enjoyed it. I sometimes even replay sins in my mind or fantasize about them because I enjoyed it that much. I hate that I do this and it makes me feel like a fraud before God asking for forgiveness for a sin I’m still attached to and given enough temptation I would probably partake in again.
I am sorry when I confess my sins, but I’m sorry only because I know it’s sinful and wrong and not necessarily because I hate the sin itself. I’m not sure if that makes any sense, but oddly enough I do not enjoy feeling guilty over loving sin. It’s all so complex. I just pray that God has mercy on me.

Not too long ago I posted a thread asking for suggestions on how to overcome attachment to venial sin.

Examples might be things such as cussing, eating too much, shopping too much, watching inappropriate shows on TV - things that are hard to let go of because maybe they aren’t all bad, or don’t start out bad, or they seem to help relieve the tensions of life’s frustrations in some way.

So it’s difficult - I’ll speak for myself here - to really mean it when I know it’s crossed the line into sin, or is a habit in need of breaking, or isn’t leading me down a spiritually healthy path.

I’m aware that the things like my examples are in some ways more difficult to eradicate permanently than mortal sins. One is tempted to think to try to get rid of them would be to become some perfectionistic, scrupulous freak. Or one just knows oneself well enough to know those temptations are hard to resist.

Then there’s that business about having to confess them over and over - if you embark on a campaign to eliminate these venial sins it can be embarrassing to confess them, and uncomfortable in that you aren’t really sure you’ll do any better the next time, so you get tempted to just forget the whole thing and allow them to continue.

This problem is in large part what fasting and mortification are for.

Good point. :o

If I’m not mistaken, shouldn’t one be under the advisement of a spiritual director before including mortification as a personal penance?

You and St Paul and St Augustine. I have recently obtained a book describing St Augutine’s confessions, & it shows great understanding of the issues that arise in life. It would be good for you to read, as St Augustine surely had many battles against sin.

I was interpreting it loosely as any kind of mortification - nothing severe like wearing a hair shirt, for instance. Simply being willing to be uncomfortable and offer it to God. Say it’s 100 degrees outside and you’re sweating and tired, and just want to go home, but a sweet little old lady who’s lonely wants to talk a few more minutes. Offering that physical discomfort for the sake of charity. Would that count?

I understand that.
Thanks.

So, if something happens that you know is bad, and you ask God to not let it happen again because you want to please Him and remain pure, but you also kind of want it to happen again because it brings you a certain kind of thrill, would that be attachment to sin?

If so, how does one overcome that want? :frowning:

Yes, thats attachment to sin and the story of my life lol
Im not sure what advice to give you. It sucks.

That’s a common scenario. There’s something that is attractive - maybe even morally neutral or good, but it’s attached to something sinful - and so you need to sacrifice it for the greater good. But it’s difficult to do.

Fasting and mortification, self-discipline, keeping busy with good works, and of course prayer and the Sacraments. I’ve also heard that forgiving those who’ve hurt us is a very powerful tool against the Devil. This was in a book written by an exorcist. It makes sense. And there’s often a lot of sacrifice and self-mortification involved! :wink:

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.