Holiday Shopping?

Will you be celebrating the birth of the Savior, by Holiday shopping on his Fathers Sabbath? Thoughts on Holiday shopping on Sunday? :blush:

I am much too busy watching football to go shopping on Sunday.

His Father’s Sabbath? Yeah, I’ll probably, at some point, shop on Saturday.

Christmas Shopping on Sunday? Maybe…I grocery shop on Sunday (the Lord’s Day, as opposed to the Sabbath)…our routine is 10 am Mass, grocery shopping at noon, telephone call to my mom at 1:30, rest the remainder of the afternoon until dinner, unless we want to putter around in the yard…we view this routine as a relaxing gift from God.

I don’t view any of these activities as contrary to keeping the Lord’s Day Holy.

Mark 2:27-28New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

27 Then he said to them, “The sabbath was made for man,[a] not man for the sabbath. 28 **That is why the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.”

Footnotes:
a.2:27 The sabbath was made for man: a reaffirmation of the divine intent of the sabbath to benefit Israel as contrasted with the restrictive Pharisaic tradition added to the law.
b.2:28 The Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath: Mark’s comment on the theological meaning of the incident is to benefit his Christian readers; see note on Mk 2:10.**

I haven’t bought a single gift yet so I might just have to. :shrug:

I felt like that yesterday, so I went mad online. :smiley:

My wife has her mop already.

:wink:

C?n bán g?p di?n tho?i LG Pro lite Dual D686 còn b?o hÃnh 5 tháng thegioididong.com. D?y d? ph? ki?n, còn m?i 95%. Giá cho em nó ra di là 3tr3 fix nh? cho anh em ? xa. Liên h? : 0967220124 ho?c 0917261445. Lê van vi?t Qu?n 9, TP.HCM.

Darn it, now I feel guilty for putting it off yesterday. :blush:

Not only shopping, but I will also be working on Sunday.

I’ve since bought a gift so perhaps I can no longer use that excuse. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have never considered shopping for gifts for someone else to be servile work - but it appears that you might. Is that a correct analysis of your post?

And by the way, I am Catholic, not Jewish… :wink:

There is a relevant passage in Nehemiah 13:15 - 22; where Nehemiah reprimands his fellow Jews for selling on the Sabbath! And they were selling food, grain, wine, grapes, figs. So I wonder how the Saints and Doctors and the Church interpret or understand this passage. It seems fairly blunt:blush:

I worry far less about how Saints and Doctors of the Church interpret it; what I pay attention to is what the Church currently says.

2173 The Gospel reports many incidents when Jesus was accused of violating the sabbath law. But Jesus never fails to respect the holiness of this day.98 He gives this law its authentic and authoritative interpretation: "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath."99 With compassion, Christ declares the sabbath for doing good rather than harm, for saving life rather than killing.100 The sabbath is the day of the Lord of mercies and a day to honor God.101 "The Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.

2184 Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"121 human life has a rhythm of work and rest. the institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. the faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

You certainly may choose to read the above as stating that shopping for gifts on Sunday is forbidden. IMHO, that is not what the above sections of the CCC say. As to your question about Nehemia, the activities were not leisure; they were commerce. Contrast that with what Christ did no the Sabbath, and the many accusations He received for clearly violationg the specific rules. As He noted, Sabbath was created for Man, not Man for the Sabbath.

Shopping for gifts is an activity I find joy-filled, and one that will bring joy to those to whom I give. If you wish to be a strict observant of the Sabbath, I am not going to tell you that you are wrong, but only to suggest that you are free to not do so, but not free to criticize others. I think a rigid attitude often is s sign that the individual feels that either one is rigid, or one has no rules at all. It is not an either/or; see the commentary by Christ.

I also understand that some people either fear or hate shopping. Fine - do it some other time; but I find it to be an enjoyable leisure activity oriented to family (see 2185 above). The Church does not take a single line out of context and try to create a rule from it. I try to keep things in context also.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.