Holland Decides to Legalize Euthanizing Babies

This is just so sad.

• AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - A hospital in the Netherlands — the first nation to permit euthanasia — recently proposed guidelines for mercy killings of terminally ill newborns, and then made a startling revelation: It has already begun carrying out such procedures, which include administering a lethal dose of sedatives.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041130/ap_on_re_eu/netherlands_child_euthanasia

We shouldn’t be surprised. It’s the next logical step. If doctors can kill babies before they’re born, why not after? And if they can kill them after, then for how long after? Sad but true. —KCT (Totally pro life and not at all in favor of any such thing. But it is the next logical step for those who think it’s OK)

[quote=KCT](Totally pro life and not at all in favor of any such thing. But it is the next logical step for those who think it’s OK)
[/quote]

Yes, I think you’re right.

This may create a dilemma for those who support abortion laws in the US, because it will highlight their inconsistency. Indeed, if you can kill before birth, why not after?

[quote=utica]Yes, I think you’re right.

This may create a dilemma for those who support abortion laws in the US, because it will highlight their inconsistency. Indeed, if you can kill before birth, why not after?
[/quote]

Don’t be surprised if they end up rationalizing that too. Once you start down this slippery slope, there’s really no end to it. People already do this with the elderly, saying their lives aren’t worth living, “I wouldn’t want to live like that” and so forth.

[quote=utica]This is just so sad.

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - A hospital in the Netherlands — the first nation to permit euthanasia — recently proposed guidelines for mercy killings of terminally ill newborns, and then made a startling revelation: It has already begun carrying out such procedures, which include administering a lethal dose of sedatives.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041130/ap_on_re_eu/netherlands_child_euthanasia
[/quote]

I think it is sad that I am not even shocked, what kind of world do we live in that this doesn’t surprise me.:frowning:

The Nazi’s started down that same slipperly slope. if you don’t respect the life of the unborn, it’s not a far reach to not care about the born.
kinda makes me sad the world is becoming so far out of control.

apnews.myway.com/article/20041130/D86MEAA80.html

Thoughts?

Can someone link me up, or post, a good argument against euthanazia for me?

Sure. There’s 2 paragraphs in the Catechism

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

that came up when I entered only the word “euthansia” for a search:

ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/?sufs=0&q=euthanasia&s=SS

1: CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 2324 (179 bytes ) preview document matches

2324 Intentional euthanasia, whatever its forms or motives, is murder. It is gravely contrary to the dignity of the human person and to the respect due to the living God, his Creator.

URL: scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2324.htm

2: CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 2277 (545 bytes ) preview document matches

**2277 Whatever its motives and means, direct euthanasia consists in putting an end to the lives of handicapped, sick, or dying persons. It is morally unacceptable.

Thus an act or omission which, of itself or by intention, causes death in order to eliminate suffering constitutes a murder gravely contrary to the dignity of the human person and to the respect due to the living God, his Creator. The error of judgment into which one can fall in good faith does not change the nature of this murderous act, which must always be forbidden and excluded. **

URL: scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2277.htm

But at least in the Netherlands, they don’t call each other names…:rolleyes:

Does this really surprise anyone?

Nope. Not really.

Slippery Slope!

The Netherlands is sliding into the nether world!

… Centers and Institutes of Bioethics and Personalist Inspiration, described the new guidelines as “an inconceivable injustice.” And a Vatican spokesman, Bishop …

headlines.agapepress.org/archive/12/12004b.asp

A friend shared the following message and Links with me. The message is sent unedited.

Have you heard of the Groningen University Hospital
Proticol? It’s horrendous set of guidelins and a
"bureaucracy" set up by Groningen University Hospital,
in Holland, to more effectively decide which babies,
children and severely metally retarded people should
be killed. It’s absolutely grizzley, and the
Mainstream Media refuses to report on it. Here’s what
I’ve found so far that I can link to you:

grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/world/9890729.htm
markdroberts.com/#nov3004b
chninternational.com/dutch_and_scots.htm
dental.am/more.php?id=3661_0_1_12_M10
genethique.org/en/press/press/2004/september/06_10.htm#1
hughhewitt.com/#postid1146

And, then we have the situation worldwide.

nightingalealliance.org/cgi-bin/home.pl?section=4

And, I’ll let Kashiya from Poland say what must be
said:

unicef.org/voy/discussions/showthread.php?t=722

Please pray for our miserable world, and for our
country, because if we don’t stand up strong enough
now, that’s where we’ll be going.

[quote=thechrismyster]The Nazi’s started down that same slipperly slope. if you don’t respect the life of the unborn, it’s not a far reach to not care about the born.
kinda makes me sad the world is becoming so far out of control.
[/quote]

Yes, the Dutch seem to have learned well from their Nazi masters and occupiers back in the early '40s. :crying:

DaveBj

Yes, the Dutch seem to have learned well from their Nazi masters and occupiers back in the early '40s.

I take your point.

I heard the Dutch doctor on a radio interview yesterday. It highlighted one of the problems here; people who support abortion, and now euthanasia, are often people of good will. You could hear in the doctor’s voice that he was really trying to find a way to do good.

The problem, of course, is that the foundation that informs his conscience is clearly malformed and is leading him to do evil instead.

Robert George made a good point of this in his book “Clash of Orthodoxies”. While the actions of the Dutch doctors are similar to actions done by Nazis, the doctors are actually not Nazis or even close.

This is the problem I face in trying to evangelize to friends and neighbors. If they support abortion, they often do so in the mistaken belief that they are helping people and bringing good into the world.

i just don’t get… :nope:

we never learn… :banghead:

and look who pays the price, but the most vunerable… :crying:

“Terminally ill” doesn’t that mean that eventually they will die on God’s terms. Why hasten it? Also since when is mental retardation equate with terminally illness. My brother-in-law is in his 40’s, and he is still living with mental retardation?? Am I missing something, or are they in the Netherlands???

[quote=Ana]I think it is sad that I am not even shocked, what kind of world do we live in that this doesn’t surprise me.:frowning:
[/quote]

The world has always had terrible evils in it. This is nothing new, of course.

Netherlands has been going down this road for a while. In their view, they are being humane. I wonder how much further they’ll keep going? They are really the pioneers of this type of ‘Utopian’ thinking. I think they consider themselves quite ‘civilised’ and ‘enlightened’.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.