Hollywood is now giving us "archie's final project" (a movie on how to kill your self)

now there might be a good message at the end of this movie but i really don't think i want to see it, how many kids or adults are going to get ideas from this?... only God knows...
:mad:

trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/archiesfinalproject/

:signofcross:Lord, we place this movie and all who will view it in Your Hands. God's Will be done. Amen :signofcross:

[quote="DChacon, post:1, topic:253318"]
now there might be a good message at the end of this movie but i really don't think i want to see it, how many kids or adults are going to get ideas from this?... only God knows...

[/quote]

Just another example of Hollyweird running out of ideas and why I could care less for pop culture.

I'm not sure that Hollywood should be blamed for this picture. According to the Internet Movie Database, the film only had a budget of $2 million and was shot in 2006. Its taken five years after filming to get the picture ready for public release. This seems to be an indie film, not a Hollywood film.

believe me that this movie wouldn't see the light of day if Godless hollywood didn't have its tentacles all over it, once they okay-it it goes mainstream and it gets put in theaters and dvds, unless you are George Lucas that is able to afford distribution out his own pocket, other wise people need hollywood to get their stuff out there.... thats just way the beast works :(

I think I’d like to see the movie before I condemn it.

I'm posting just to reply respectfully to this thread, as someone who worked on the film and, along with everyone else who worked on it, as someone who is very sensitive about issues of teen suicide.

Please take more than a moment to take a look at the following (all true) testimonials on our website: archiesfinalproject.com/go/about/testimonials

Wherein teens, parents, teen suicide professionals, mental health professionals, social workers, and teachers have all actually seen the film and lauded it for doing exactly the opposite of glamorizing and enticing suicide: instead, it forces the conversation out in the open, and as such I can personally say that I've met people whose lives had already been touched deeply by the film (the movie had played since 2009 at various film festivals, winning over 20 international awards including the Berlin Film Festival's Crystal Bear, a category for films specifically aimed at youth, and actually judged by youth).

In fact the film was partly developed with the cooperation of the (late) Edwin Schneidman, a pioneer in suicide prevention: secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Edwin_S._Shneidman

Yes, I will admit my bias for the film, but I will also say that while the film is not perfect, and will never be everyone's cup of tea, and the advertising of the film has been a great point of sensitive discussion, but in the end our hope (selfishly and selflessly) is that the film be seen by as many people as possible, even those, I have to say, that are potentially considering suicide, and that we hope the film can convince them otherwise, like it's already done.

p.s. - oh, and lest anyone from the higher ups of the film have a fit, my statements here are made not as an official statement from the owners of the film, but simply as someone who briefly worked on it and is a fan of it). My views are mine and mine alone, despite what my use of collective pronouns might say :).

[quote="DChacon, post:1, topic:253318"]

[/quote]

O dear. Why would anyone do this?

I remember someone somewhere one saying "Judge not, lest ye be judged." I find it awesome to know that whoever started this post goes out of their way way spread judgement on things that they know nothing about. You should be ashamed of yourself. As a previous poster commented on you have NO IDEA what this film is about. You sit somewhere in your comfy chair spewing the froth of righteousness and arrogance. First of all, this movie was so NOT Hollywood. It has no major studio backing, never has. It was financed my investors wanting to produce a film that makes a difference, and this one does. This is a movie that deals with suicide. Not just the act, but the motivations behind that act. Do you know that suicide is one of the top two killers of teenagers in America? This film talks to them, on their terms and presents a story that they can relate to. This isn't an instructional manual for suicide as you so ignorantly exclaimed, it is a instruction manual for those who are contemplating suicide to use to get past those feelings. It lets them know that they are not alone, the problems that they are experiencing are not theirs alone and that there is hope on the other side. It does all of this while no preaching to them. This movie isn't for you, it is for them.

The real danger here is the idiots such as yourself who, without any actual knowledge of what they are speaking of, stand on their soap box and preach ignorance. How many people will be turned off of this movie because of your statements? How many of those people could this movie help? How many Archie's will kill themselves because they didn't know that they weren't alone? All this because you were too ignorant to research the film yourself and too arrogant to shut up about things you don't know.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

" Only a fool knows everything. A wise man knows how little he knows." - Source Unknown

Hmm. I think the only time you’re allowed to portray suicide other than fully tragically, is if you’re playing it for laughs.

And yes, you can play it for laughs, like the anime “Goodbye Mr. Despair”, whose main character tries to kill himself about once an episode, early on in the series. It’s hilarious, like when he prevents one of his students from killing herself because “No you can’t jump off this bridge, this is my spot, I found it first!”

Basically I think you either show the full tragic folly of suicide, or you show the full tragic folly of suicide.

I have a really hard time with people who speak as if they know what they are speaking about. Can you tell me that this movie doesn't treat this subject in either one of your "allowable" methods? No, you can't, because you haven't seen it. Let me throw a couple of scenarios at you.

A Japanese military leader at the end of WWI. In the shame of defeat he chooses the only "honorable" way out and commits hari kari. This scene has been portrayed numerous times in countless dramas. Which of your two "allowable" categories does this fit into? Obviously it is not played for laughs but nor are we trying to show the "full folly of suicide." In its historical context that soldiers actions, albeit tragic, are understood.

A man sacrifices himself so that other may live. How many times have you seen that happen in films? Thats weird, the folly of suicide isn't addressed here either. His selfless act was so that others would be saved. Pretty honorable, if you ask me

The opening montage of the film "Magnolia" has a moment where a man, attempting to commit suicide, jumps from the window of a Los Angeles high rise. On the way down to the street he is accidentally shot when a gun discharges during an alteration between a husband and wife some floors below. The shotgun wound to the chest kills the young man instantly leaving his body to fall into the unseen safety net the window washers had erected the day before. Had he not been shot, he would have survived. This little scenario is first played for tragedy, then played for comedy, then play for irony.

Thank you for your lesson on the "allowable" uses of suicide in cinema. Why don't you leave the writing for the writers and the rules for the rulers.

How does "Archies Final Project" deal with suicide? I am asking you because although you seem really sanctimonious about it, you have no actual clue. You watch a three minute trailer and, since all known forms of art are known to you, you can instantly surmise every subtle nuance out of the film? Geez, you must save a fortune on movie tickets. I don't want to tell you anything about the film, but I will..begrudgingly. ...you know, I started writing a synopsis of the film then I stopped myself. I am not going to cheapen the film by explaining it to you. It is meant to be scene as it is, I refuse to homogenize it for your stomach. If you want to see it, great, if you don't, fine too.....just stop belittling something you know nothing about.

If you really must judge something, fine judge it...but judge IT, not something else. Don't watch the trailer and think you have seen the movie. Trailers are made for one purpose, movies are made for another. And if you are reading our little interchange and you are curious about this film....don't let the uninformed ramblings of some self-annointed blowhard help you make up your mind about something...why don't you try experiencing it for yourself. At the very least talk to someone who has seen it. Find out what its purpose is before you discard it. And, after you watch it, you then want to discard it, DO IT. You have made an informed decision based on your own experiences. You will be much better for it.

"Begin challenging your own assumptions. Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in awhile, or the light won't come in. " - Alan Alda

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.