Hollywood legend Charlton Heston dead at 84

May God receive him.

Actor Charlton Heston died at Beverly Hills home at the age of 84 Saturday, his family said.

Heston, known for portrayals of larger than life figure including Moses and Ben Hur, was suffering the late stages of Alzheimer’s Disease…

Heston was also known for his political activism.

He was a high-profile supporter of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his civil rights movement. He attended King’s 1963 March on Washington and stood near the podium as King delivered his “I have a dream” speech.

He was president of the National Rifle Association from 1998 to 2002, a role that cast him as a conservative.

cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/04/06/heston.dead/index.html?eref=rss_world

Prayers.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Charlton Heston, who won the 1959 best actor Oscar as the chariot-racing “Ben-Hur” and portrayed Moses, Michelangelo, El Cid and other heroic figures in movie epics of the '50s and '60s, has died. He was 84. The actor died Saturday night at his home in Beverly Hills with his wife Lydia at his side, family spokesman Bill Powers said. He declined to comment on the cause of death or provide further details.

apnews.myway.com/article/20080406/D8VSE49G0.html

For God, the Cid and Spain!

youtube.com/watch?v=v5e1L5ocXUw

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Charlton-Heston-Photograph-C10102102.jpeg

God rest his soul.

It’s ironic, but I watched Ben Hur for the first time yesterday, all four hours of it.

it was very moving and I remember commenting how epic and lively Heston was.

Prayers to his wife also.

It is unfair to paint Heston as a hidebound rightwinger. Many of us who support the right to bear arms remember that Heston rescued the NRA from the froot loop brigade of extremists, and returned it to an organization that everyday hunters and shooters could support.

He supported Civil Rights, opposed McCarthy, and considered Nixon a disaster for America. Hardly your classic rightwinger.

Later in life, like Ronald Reagan, he slowly became more conservative. Like Reagan, his later years were clouded by Alzheimer’s disease which gradually sapped his mind and body and then killed him.

Like Reagan, he loved America and knew how to play a crowd.

God bless him and keep him.

Heston will go down as one the greatest actors of all time. The current crop of actors can’t hold a candle to him, and never will. May his soul and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

:thumbsup:

Terms rightwing and leftwing is truly misused as it comes to American politics. Charlton Heston was a conservative and doesn’t fit the mold described by terminology which has roots in the French Revolutionary political time frame of true hate and evil. He was a man who loved our country and the constitution. This idea that conservatives are people of hate and of racist ideas needs to be challenged. Heston was a man who lived that challenge, yet people even today act like he was once a “liberal” which fell from grace and became “conservative” as if being conservative was something evil. In truth he lived his life as a man which was that of a patriot, and of course patriots stand for what is right as defined in the constitution and God given. A patriot would naturally stand against racism and for the right to bear arms. Today’s so-called liberals are the ones which truly have a reason to ignore history, as the try to redefine what is right and wrong.

It is ironic; me and family just went through the last few weeks watching alot of his movies including Ben Hur, Planet of the Apes and the Ten commandments. I wish they would reissue the Omega Man and Soylent Green (which is where I think al Gore got his ideas about global warning):shrug: who knows both are science fiction.

Prayers going up for Charlton Heston and his family left behind.

ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTMzMzI2MTM5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAyMTAwMQ@@._V1.CR0,0,326,326_SS100.jpg

Here are some:

Quotable Quotes from Charlton Heston, NRA President

See more quotes at: gunblast.com/Heston_Quotes.htm

SPEECH TO NATIONAL PRESS CLUB
September 14, 1997
…You do not define the First Amendment. It defines you. And it is bigger than you. That’s how freedom works. It also demands you do your homework. Again and again, I hear gun owners say, how can we believe anything the anti-gun media says when they can’t even get the facts right? For too long, you have swallowed manufactured statistics and fabricated technical support from anti-gun organizations that wouldn’t know a semi- auto from a sharp stick. And it shows. You fall for it every time…

…I simply cannot stand by and watch a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States come under attack from those who either can’t understand it, don’t like the sound of it, or find themselves too philosophically squeamish to see why it remains the first among equals: Because it is the right we turn to when all else fails. That’s why the Second Amendment is America’s first freedom…

…Now, I doubt any of you would prefer a rolled up newspaper as a weapon against a dictator or a criminal intruder. Yet in essence, that is what you have asked our loved ones to do, through an ill-contrived and totally naive campaign against the Second Amendment…

LETTER TO THE NY TIMES
Printed May 12, 1998
…The Founders’ intent in framing the Second Amendment is perfectly clear and undeniable. Thomas Jefferson wrote, “No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” Some anti-gun elitists declare this notion outdated. However, many constitutional scholars from this country’s most prestigious universities agree that the Founders’ intent is clear and irreversible: To “keep and bear arms” is a right for all law-abiding citizens…

MSNBC TV
September 14, 1997
…The First Amendment is crucial. Of course it is. So are all the others. And the Second Amendment is the one that guarantees that people can bear arms to protect themselves…

NBC "Meet the Press"
May 18, 1997
…Let me make a short, opening, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody – except bad people…

…Teddy Roosevelt hunted in the last century with a semiautomatic rifle. Most deer rifles are semiautomatic … it’s become a demonized phrase. The media distorts that and the public ill understands it…

…You know, the Bill of Rights guarantees every citizen the right to own and bear firearms. It doesn’t say anything about how many, how much you can pay for them. That’s in the Bill of Rights. That’s a sacred document in our country. There’s no other country in the world that has such document. And you know what it’s purpose is? To prevent the federal government from interfering with private citizens’ rights … If you will read what the Founding Fathers wrote when they were writing it – Jefferson, Mason, Madison, Patrick Henry, Tom Paine – every one of them wrote at great length that they were talking about the individual rights of individual citizens…

…We have to pass on to America in the 21st century the same Bill of Rights that those wise, old, dead white guys that invented this country passed on to us…

I’ve always had a soft spot for Mr. Heston, since my dad took me to see “Ben Hur” at the movies when it came out. It was one of the first “grownup” films I ever saw, and even though a lot of it went over my seven-year-old head, the lead actor’s intensity made a big impression on me. God bless him.

One of my favorites. He was truly one of a kind. :harp:

Now we can pry that rifle from his “cold dead hand”. :smiley:

Highly inappropriate. Show some respect for the dead.

I apologize for my previous statement, I should have said the liberals can now pry that rifle from his cold dead hand. That is more appropriate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.