Holocausts

I do not know if this belongs here, but this is the only place that it seems to fit:

Holocausts
By D.A. Davis

The number of holocausts that have occurred in the past 100 years is incredible and the body count is astronomical. What is especially troubling is that many Catholic laymen and clergy are uninformed about the suffering, persecutions, massacres, and martyrdom that Catholics and other Christians have endured in recent history.

When I ask fellow Catholics if they are aware that an estimated five million Christian noncombatants were murdered by the Nazis during the Holocaust, I usually receive a blank stare. Many Catholics are also unaware that saints such as Edith Stein and Maximilian Kolbe were canonized after being killed in Nazi death camps. Additionally, most Christians don’t stop to consider that tens of millions of Christian soldiers died fighting to crush Nazism.

Full Story

IF this does not belong here, please move to the correct forum

Hi Wander__,

I have read your reference.

The fact that Christians are killed does not necessarily mean that they are killed because of their Christian identity. You are right in saying that millions of Ukrainians and other Soviet citizens were killed, starved in fact, because they resisted collectivization. Christian soldiers going to war were not killed by the Nazis because they were Christians.

This is not to say that we should not be aware of those who have been, or are being, persecuted for their faith, notably in China and in some Muslim areas. But we lose credibility when we claim that every Christian who dies violently is suffering for his/her faith.

On the other hand, Jews were specifically singled out for annihilation by the Nazis. Not, however, for religious reasons, but for racist reasons.

Verbum

Christians, especially Catholics, were also targeted by Hitler during WWII because he also perceived them as a threat.

Stalin, Mao, and the Communists targeted all people of faith (especially Catholics) because they also saw them as a threat to their atheistic utopia. The was especially true in Mexico where the purge there actually happened before Russia. It was the first Marxist purge.

The Turkish Armenian Holocaust was also a specifically targeted holocaust.

The distinctiveness of the Nazi holocaust can be found in the extensive use of science and technology (in the most technologically advanced nation in the world; and, some would say, one of the most “Christian” nations in the world) for the purposes of an ethnically based extermination imbued with deicidic and supersessionist overtones.

The word “holocaust” comes from Greek words meaning “whole burnt offering in sacrifice.”

Question: To whom was the sacrifice offered?

To God? The very idea is blasphemous.

To the devil? Not much better.

I tend to think that the Jewish nation as a whole has been invited by Christ himself to participate in his suffering whether they want to participate in this suffering or not.

No. This is not a popular opinion. However, it may be a valid one. And, for the record, the reason that many Jewish people have sought to re-claim the word holocaust to have distinctly Jewish implications regarding the holocaust in Nazi Germany (and fought others using this term for themselves) really is a religious issue.

In other words, many Jews do indeed see their ancestors suffering during the holocaust as being “whole burnt offering in sacrifice” in their praise toward God as they they stood firm in their faith.

I don’t think this is blasphemous at all. Certainly the early Christians who were burned alive under Nero’s reign while singing hymns to God didn’t see this as blasphemous. They really were quite literally “whole burnt offering in sacrifice” in their praise toward God as they they stood firm in their faith.

Elie Wiesel considers “holocaust” to be the only word that fits.

In Hitler’s perverted worldview, race determined everything – including ideology. He hated Jewish religion and blamed it on the supposed inferiority of their race. By extension, Catholicism was also hated because its of its close relationship to Judaism. Many Polish Catholic priests and religious were murdered because of the danger they posed to Nazi ideology. In Poland, the Catholic intelligencia was virtually wiped out. Gain some insight here:

State Museum at Majdanek

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.