Holy Chalice of Valencia (the REAL Holy Grail)

This is THE true cup that Our Lord drank from and used in the Last Supper. It is the REAL holy grail. You can visit the website for the Holy Chalice and see its history for yourself.

catedraldevalencia.es/en/el-santo-caliz_historia.php

I didn't find out about it until recently with all of the DaVinci Code broohaha and am blessed that I did find out the truth about the Holy Chalice of Our Lord.

Hmm, interesting and beautiful. Has this been approved by Holy Mother Church?

Thanks for the link Temple of the Soul :slight_smile: I was skeptical until they showed the picture without the bottom half… the added part.

I have always wanted to hold some of this stuff in my hand. I mean can you imagine touching something that Jesus’s hands once held? :heaven:

Hiyas:)

Pope John XXIII granted plenary indulgence on the day of its annual feast; Pope John Paul II celebrated the Eucharist with the Holy Chalice during his visit to Valencia on 8 November 1982 just as Pope Benedict XVI did when he visited Valencia on *8 July2006. *

I hope this helps

Beautiful!!! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Amazing! Thank-you for the link and your post!

There is an excellent book on the topic: St. Laurence and the Holy Grail, by Janice Bennett.

You're all very welcome. :) :D :) :grouphug:

I also wanted to alert you all to the fact that on EWTN there is a program called Forgotten Heritage that in its next episode will speak on the Holy Chalice of Valencia, so keep on the lookout for it in your local cable tv listings.

God's blessings and I hope the New Year is going great for you all!

Just to let all of you know that they just gave at 5:30pm EST USA the new episode on the Holy Chalice of Valencia on the program called **Forgotten Europe ** and may only repeat it one more time. If you go to the EWTN website perhaps they may have the audio streaming of the broadcast for those of you who don’t get EWTN in your area so that you can hear what the show’s hosts had to say on it.

ewtn.com

God bless all of you :slight_smile:

[quote="TempleofTheSoul, post:1, topic:181824"]
This is THE true cup that Our Lord drank from and used in the Last Supper. It is the REAL holy grail. You can visit the website for the Holy Chalice and see its history for yourself.

catedraldevalencia.es/en/el-santo-caliz_historia.php

I didn't find out about it until recently with all of the DaVinci Code broohaha and am blessed that I did find out the truth about the Holy Chalice of Our Lord.

[/quote]

There is no real Holy Grail in anybody's possesion never mind this cathedral. Some folks are pretty naive and gullible.

Let anyone show me an official Church document declaring this to be the true cup Jesus drank from. You won't find it because the Church has not and will never declare this to be authentic.
If you wish to believe it that's up to you but do not tell us it is the true cup as if it is a real fact. It is not.

You don’t have to be so negative about it. The top portion of the cup at Valencia has been dated to the first century in the Middle East (can’t remember which region in particular), and several popes have celebrated Mass with it. There was an interesting program about it on EWTN yesterday, as another poster mentioned.

I’d have to agree about the negativity. Instead of educating people (which is a good thing) it is bordering on insulting and will turn people away rather than encourage them to want to listen to the speaker.

I am talking about the forceful way using capital letters you are telling people it IS the true cup.
When the Church herself has not so declared how can YOU know it? What evidence do you have to support such a claim that the Church does not have?
The Church would surely declare it to be the true cup if it was convinced beyong a shadow of a doubt but it has not so what makes your knowledge superior to the Church?

Do you really think someone in the upper room after the last supper when cleaning up after everyone had gone thought to themselves they had better keep the cup Jesus drank from or maybe one of the apostles pocketed it on the way out. Give me a break.

What is at issue is not whether it was the “cup Jesus drank from” but whether it was the cup used at the institution of the Eucharist - that is, the first chalice to hold the blood of Jesus Christ. It was the Passover, and a special ceremonial cup would have been used. After Jesus told the disciples “This is my blood,” how do you think they reacted? Do you think they just said, “Yeah whatever,” and didn’t care? Or did they believe him?

I don’t know whether it’s the original cup or not, but the idea that the apostles would simply dismiss what Jesus had told them and never take any care to preserve the things that He had touched, and the very vessel which they believed had contained His blood, just seems illogical to me. I mean, people were running after Him to touch the hem of his cloak with faith that they would be healed. If the hem of His cloak was conceived to be so special because of its contact with Him, wouldn’t the ceremonial cup that He used to institute a practice as important as the Eucharist, be far more special and worthy of care and preservation?

[quote="Student09, post:14, topic:181824"]
What is at issue is not whether it was the "cup Jesus drank from" but whether it was the cup used at the institution of the Eucharist - that is, the first chalice to hold the blood of Jesus Christ. It was the Passover, and a special ceremonial cup would have been used. After Jesus told the disciples "This is my blood," how do you think they reacted? Do you think they just said, "Yeah whatever," and didn't care? Or did they believe him?

I don't know whether it's the original cup or not, but the idea that the apostles would simply dismiss what Jesus had told them and never take any care to preserve the things that He had touched, and the very vessel which they believed had contained His blood, just seems illogical to me. I mean, people were running after Him to touch the hem of his cloak with faith that they would be healed. If the hem of His cloak was conceived to be so special because of its contact with Him, wouldn't the ceremonial cup that He used to institute a practice as important as the Eucharist, be far more special and worthy of care and preservation?

[/quote]

Whether you and I believe it to be the cup or not is not the issue. All of us can have an opinion.
The Church has not declared it to be authentic. Doesn't that give you a clue. The OP posted that it is the true cup. What does the OP know that the Church doesn't?

Keep in mind, that because the Church has not declared this chalice to be the true cup, does not in any way mean that it is not so. The silence does not grant anyone to say with definition that the artifact is true because the Church said so. The artifact must stand or fall on it's own, regardless of anyone's opinion. there is almost no way any science can be brought to bear in order to definitively say weather this is the cup of Institution or not. It does appear to have a creditable provenance though. Even this aspect seems to have some blank spots too.

I understand what you are saying and I believe the “cup” does not stand up to scrutiny.

With respect to this thread it is not whether the cup is the true one or not that I take issue with. I take issue with the OP stating as a fact that it is the true cup when the Church has not declared it to be so and as you point out there is no way to definitively prove it is. We can all decide to personally believe it is the true cup or not (I don’t) but nobody should be stating it definitely is the true cup as if its a proven fact. It is not and never will be.

Agreed. with the exception that at some date in the future some kind of coborating evidence may turn up.

I believe believe that Pope Benedict was the first in recent memory to celebrate using the words accipiens et hunc praeclarum Calicem

Since you don’t know how to address me in a respectful manner I don’t care to get into any kind of a discussion with you.

I believe the Holy Chalice of Valencia to be one of the 4 cups used at the Last Supper since that was the tradition of the Jews at that time. That you don’t believe it to be so doesn’t interest me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.