Holy Communion in a state of mortal sin

Others have given good advice, say a good act of contrition and confess as soon as possible.

It was a heat of the moment type decision, don’t beat yourself up over it too much. Obviously you are very contrite.

1 Like

Scripture would say so. In part, this is why we have confession as a ministerial function of the Church; we reconcile with God and the entire body of Christ.

That’s just awful. I’ve stayed in the pews for not being in a state of grace, for questioning my state of grace, for not having kept the eucharistic fast and for having had communion at an earlier mass. My first thought about others is they already had communion that day or ate too close to mass.

3 Likes

While laudable, that doesn’t sound like a good idea. Fear of hell or the loss of heaven is sufficient and it seems presumptuous to assume you’ll live to the time you’re able to work to what you believe to be perfect contrition, which from my understanding is rare and extremely difficult.

1 Like

Yup! That they do. :unamused:

People have been playing a bit too fast and loose with the flags lately. While we may not agree, there wasn’t anything there that violated forum rules (that I saw).

4 Likes

It was probably flagged for being off topic.

1 Like

Indeed they are

Yes it does. Judas Iscariot received Holy Communion unworthily - later that night he betrayed Our Lord and hanged himself.

Also, Our Lord told one saint (St. Gertrude or St. Mechtilde; I forget which) that when one person receives Him in Holy Communion (obviously, in the state of grace), something good happens to every person in heaven, on earth and in purgatory. So it stands to reason that the reverse would happen if a person receives Our Lord unworthily.

I recommend reading Mystici Corporis Christi by Pope Pius XII (just google the title). Also see 1 Cor. 12, especially v. 24-26.

Ditto. I was an EMHC in college and gave it up also. I’m glad I did.

1 Like

Are we sure?

Seems to me his betrayal happened after the supper.

I’m going through the same situation.

This illustrates the problem of automatic Communions. In some parishes it is almost programmed that all EMHCs (altar servers, lectors, etc,) WILL receive Communion. It is made so that it appears awkward if one doesn’t.

Even for those in the congregation, especially at a Mass where people all know each other, such as a school, or a group, there is an expectation you will go up for Communion, you will join us.

I’m old enough to remember the opposite extreme. My earliest sermon memory, from the early 1950s, was a priest pleading that people should go to Communion more often - even at most Masses they attend, at least monthly. I don’t endorse that extreme.

This is not the world of 2019. People think if they took a whole hour out their day, they are entitled to it. Spiritual discernment is non existent.

2 Likes

My comment has nothing to do with “automatic communions”, whatever that means. I’m all for staying in the pew if one is not properly disposed to receive.

1 Like

St. John Chrysostom says otherwise:

“He who leaves the church right after Holy Communion, resembles Judas who left the Apostles as soon as he had received the Body of Christ.”

But this says nothing about whether or not Judas received unworthily.

He did go to the authorities and plotted the betrayal before The Last Supper. In at least one Gospel account he received his thirty pieces at this time. Plus he was a known thief which would have added to his sins.

Yes, he did - see boldfaced type.

Perhaps.
But until he actually does betray Christ, he hasn’t betrayed him. Planning to sin is bad, but until he actually does it, I do not believe you can say it has been done.
The betrayal happened after the supper.
Perhaps there is some other mortal sin that he was guilty of when he received the precious body and blood. But I do not believe scripture is definitive on that particular.

Perhaps we could argue his heart wasn’t in the right place…but we really cannot know that.

We know that Judas was the treasurer and stole from the donation for the poor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.