Holy Communion in Hand?

I read that taking Holy Communion in the hand is sacrilegious!
Is this true?

God bless you!

The Church allows the practice.

My question to you is do you think the Church would allow something that is sacrilegious?:shrug:

When Jesus broke the bread in the upper room and distributed it to His disciples, do you believe that HE put it on their tongues?

Right at the beginning of the Church, the custom was to give the bread in the hand, later as people realized how precious the bread really was and afraid that crumbles of it might fall to the ground the custom developed to give the bread on the tongue.
Today the way the bread is distributed as a host there is perhaps less chance to drop crumbs, however we need to be diligent and make sure it does not happen.
Today the Church allows for both as being valid and licit.

Touching the Eucharist with your hands is no more sacrilegious than you eating it.

Unless you harbour sacrilegous thoughts.

Seconds until a COTH vs. COTT debate begins: 10, 9, 8, 7…

:popcorn:

Lol

Am I too late to join the debate?:frighten:

No, you are permitted to receive on the tongue or in the hand. At least in the United States.

However, many people such as myself would say this is not the best practice for the Latin Rite, and would recommend you receive on the tongue.

Because of our great moderators, that won’t happen. I guess we can be thankful that this is the only Catholic forum online where moderators keep a close eye on things like this. That’s why I like this forum. :thumbsup:

If a group is saying this, you ought to head to the door.
I think that whatever source this is from is tempting your faith. Part of the creed is “I believe in the holy Catholic faith.” The Church implemented communion in the hand again several decades ago, which was a practice in the early Church. Don’t let whoever is saying this destroy your faith.

It’s only sacrilegious if your hands are dirty. Please wash your hands before receiving in the hand. We don’t want dirt on the Host.

NO!

Agreed. You just never know with topics like this how fast it can escalate. Thank God for the moderators! :rolleyes:

It is not sacrilegious. A Doctor of the Church says:

“In approaching therefore, come not with your wrists extended, or your fingers spread; but make your left hand a throne for the right, as for that which is to receive a King. And having hollowed your palm, receive the Body of Christ, saying over it, Amen. So then after having carefully hallowed your eyes by the touch of the Holy Body, partake of it; giving heed lest you lose any portion thereof ; for whatever you lose, is evidently a loss to you as it were from one of your own members. For tell me, if any one gave you grains of gold, would you not hold them with all carefulness, being on your guard against losing any of them, and suffering loss? Will you not then much more carefully keep watch, that not a crumb fall from you of what is more precious than gold and precious stones?”

• St Cyril of Jerusalem (ca. AD 313 – 386), Catechetical Lecture 23:21

Source: newadvent.org/fathers/310123.htm

I don’t see how.

I just take it by mouth.

:thumbsup:

No, it’s not true because the Church does allow it. Anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong…

Yes COTH is certainly permitted, but your example does not correspond. The Last Supper was the also the Institution of Holy Orders.

The attending Apostles were thus Bishops, and Bishops are entitled to self communicate, it take a Host from the paten and receive it themselves.

That is something that the laity are not permitted to do.

No. :slight_smile:

God bless you!

Thank you for bringing up that point! :slight_smile:
I was thinking ‘’ hey wait…that was the night that the were ordained’’
God bless!

When I first reverted I was surprised at the change. Talked with the priest and now I only receive in the hand. I miss the altar rail but not the sticking my tongue out. I believe receiving in the hand is more respectful to The Lord. IMHO

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.