Holy Day of Obligation Question

I am an Unbaptized 17 year old, who lives with his parents. I went to Mass last Sunday for the first time (the second time, if you count years ago, but not understanding it :(), and I got a brochure. It said “Holy Day of Obligation” and “Wednesday December 31st Vigil of the Solemnity of Mary, the Holy Mother of God 4:00 PM” and “Thursday January 1st Solemnity of Mary the Holy Mother of God 8:00am 10:00am”. Unfortunately, my parents and I are going away for New Years, and I will not be able to stay behind. There is a church where we are going. However, I do not know if my parents will let me go to Mass or not. I can walk to the Church, as the place we are going is a small town. Would I be sinning if my parents don’t let me go to Mass?

You are not obligated to attend Mass if it is impossible for you to do so, and if your parents are prohibiting it, then it is impossible.

However, you mention that you are not baptized. I’m in the same position, and I was led to understand that I was not subject to Mass obligations until I was baptized. Further, you should know that while you obviously don’t want to seek out sinful behaviour, all your sins will be washed away when you are baptized, so take some solace in that.

And welcome. I hope you enjoy your journey home. It is truly a beautiful place to be.

If you are not baptised you have no obligation.

Unfortunately, I wound up not being able to go. I woke up an hour too late, and I figured I wouldn’t be able to get there in time. :frowning:

Hold it. You are not baptized, not Catholic, and not in RCIA, yet you are worried about missing a Holy Day of Obligation, that I know for a fact that many cradle Catholics skip (I am not being judgmental of them, just stating a fact)?

I SALUTE YOU!! And leave you with this, I feel it aptly applies to you:

When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel* have I found such faith.

No worries. You are not Catholic yet, which means you have no obligation. It’s great that you want to go, and you should whenever you get the chance. But at this point in your life, you are not required to go yet. This means there is no sin in missing Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.