Holy Day of Obligation

A couple of months ago, I scheduled a blood donation appointment for an annual blood drive that happens to be this Saturday. As a result, I won’t be able to fulfill the feast day obligation. Is the blood donation a valid reason to miss Mass Saturday and can I receive Communion Sunday?

No, a scheduled blood donation is not a valid reason to miss Holy Day Mass on Saturday; if you do miss the Holy Day Mass and you have no opportunity to confess, you should not receive Communion on Sunday.

I would suggest that your options, in no particular order, are:

1. re-schedule the appointment to donate blood
  2. attend a Friday evening vigil Mass
  3. find a church that offers Holy Day Mass on Saturday at a time that does not conflict with your appointment.

[quote="jpjd, post:2, topic:307322"]
No, a scheduled blood donation is not a valid reason to miss Holy Day Mass on Saturday; if you do miss the Holy Day Mass and you have no opportunity to confess, you should not receive Communion on Sunday.

I would suggest that your options, in no particular order, are:

1. re-schedule the appointment to donate blood
  2. attend a Friday evening vigil Mass
  3. find a church that offers Holy Day Mass on Saturday at a time that does not conflict with your appointment.

[/quote]

Excellent advice.

[quote="Steve_D, post:1, topic:307322"]
A couple of months ago, I scheduled a blood donation appointment for an annual blood drive that happens to be this Saturday. As a result, I won't be able to fulfill the feast day obligation. Is the blood donation a valid reason to miss Mass Saturday and can I receive Communion Sunday?

[/quote]

Go to mass on Friday night. :rolleyes:

Excuses, excuses.

[quote="iloveangels, post:4, topic:307322"]
Go to mass on Friday night.

[/quote]

Yes, it would be best to go to Mass on Friday, or see if possible to change the appointment of the blood donation.

God bless.

I hope there are other parishes in your area that offer Friday Vigil Mass or at other times on Saturday.

In my parish, for example, we only have an 8 am Mass normally on Saturdays. But this Saturday, they added a 12 nn Mass. So, contact the parishes near you.

If you really cannot find a Mass that would fit in your schedule this Saturday, I strongly suggest that you **re-schedule **your blood donation appointment. I'm assuming you're doing the donation through Red Cross; there are a lot of blood donation centers that you can go to at other times on Saturday and even on Sunday. Look up the centers and re-schedule online- redcrossblood.org.

Hope this helps!

No that is not a valid reason to miss Mass. There has to be serious sufficient reasons to miss Mass, such as severe weather (hurricane, tornado, etc.) or you’re seriously ill and unable to get out of bed.

Just reschedule your blood appointment another time. God always comes first.

I used to schedule people for blood donations. It is simply a matter of rescheduling your appointment. They won’t have a problem with it.

You could also find a mass to attend that is on the same day as your blood donation , but not at the same time. If I was you I would go to confession and confess this sin (I’m sure it is a mortal sin to miss a holy day of obligation.)

[quote="Steve_D, post:1, topic:307322"]
A couple of months ago, I scheduled a blood donation appointment for an annual blood drive that happens to be this Saturday. As a result, I won't be able to fulfill the feast day obligation. Is the blood donation a valid reason to miss Mass Saturday and can I receive Communion Sunday?

[/quote]

Go to the Saturday evening vigil Mass for Sunday, and then go to Mass again on Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.